Korda Hybrid or Good ole' mantis???

carpingod150

Been using mantis gold for a while now, and am reasonably happy with it, but have heard good things about the korda fluurocarbon coated braid, and was wondering if I should switch. Don't want to buy the korda stuff and not like it, but I need some new coated braid, as the mantis is running out. They're abou the same price, so this doesn't make a difference. Thanks

I tend to stick to Kryston Mantis/Snakebite now as the coating is more robust. With some coated braids I've found the coating gives out, creating a limp/hinged point where knots are tied.

Although sometimes I think you have try things out for yourself and see how it goes. If I had to pick just one I'd go for the Mantis.

Andy C.

Mantis, Mantis Gold and staying with Mantis.

Korda had a problem with unexplained breakages and recalled a load of their Hybrid and had to replace it. Saying that there are still some unexplained breakages and it doesn't appear to have much on the Abrasion resistant front.

yeah but TBH the inner braid of mantis green and gold sticks out like a sore thumb if you look at it on the bottom of most lakes and the korda stuff is supposed to be pretty camo'd up so i'm not sure

Have you ever tried Sufix Kameleon mate, it's made up from 3 different colours black, brown and green. The braid underneath colour matches the removable coating.

Andy C.

• 1 year later...
I tend to stick to Kryston Mantis/Snakebite now as the coating is more robust. With some coated braids I've found the coating gives out, creating a limp/hinged point where knots are tied.

Although sometimes I think you have try things out for yourself and see how it goes. If I had to pick just one I'd go for the Mantis.

Andy C.

Is there a knot that i can use that wont split the coating? :(

Andy C.

Is there a knot that i can use that wont split the coating? :(

With the Snakebites and mantis the coating wont/shouldnt split on them, I think Andy was refering to other hooklink materials (i find some of the suffix braid coatings split quite easily)

I think that with the Hybrid all the knots have to be steamed as they're being tightened to help them bed in. It seems like a pain in the backside having to get the kettle on when you want to tie a rig to me :? Apparently the Hybrid soft doesn't need it though. :wink:

Personally I've used mantis for years now and have found no need to change although i am tempted to try some of the Atomic Jellywire :D

yeah but TBH the inner braid of mantis green and gold sticks out like a sore thumb if you look at it on the bottom of most lakes and the korda stuff is supposed to be pretty camo'd up so i'm not sure

Yes but you are catching fish on the Mantis arent you, so what is the problem?

he could be catching more fish with the korda not necessarly less fish, you dont know until you try. I guess its like trying new flavours/baits you wont know if it works on your lake until you try.

not that im a korda rep.. :D

**edit** looking at some more posts, looks as though a few have had breakages so it might not be worth the trial...

I love Hybrid :)

It creates brilliant hinged rigs, the fluro coating is stiff- the braid is soft, unlike most other coated braids so you get that proper stiff boom effect.

I do, however, like cortex as its rather soft through out, nice and subtle, comes in handy.

i know one of the major points about the hybrid was that it was not supposed to break/kink at the knots i have never had a problem with kordas coated braid in anyway. I havnt used the kryston alternatives enough to comment.

however Mr fairbrass puts alot of effort into desiging and producing the most suitable and catchable products around and being a newer product you would have thought it would have been made from more recent and researched materials and be of a better design than a product developed years and yeras ago. just a thought.

I've been using ybrid for a couple of years and have to admit I loved it. Easy to use, great colour and fantastic for hinge rigs.

Will not be using it anymore though as after waiting 24 hours on a moderate water had a fantastic run, picked rod up and struck into nothing. Pulled my rig in and the hooklink had snapped half way down - totally unexplainable! Gutted to say the least.

To miss a run is upsetting but to lose a fish due to poor quality end tackle, produced by a company that calls themselves the best, is soul destroying! : (

I personally would not bother with hybrid or the super natural braid as they both snap way below the stated b/s, 20lb hybrid soft breaks at 16lb and 15lb super natural as little as 3lb. As you guess we have rang korda and all the hook lengths (exept the IQ) are going back to korda.