D rigs

dave909uk

What hook and hooklenght combination do you find work well for D-rigs?

I have tried tying them with esp ghost, but its too thick to go back through the eye of the hook and its really fiddly to get decent knots.

a mate was telling me he has seen something that kind of crimps these stiff hooklinks instead of tying knots. anyone know about this?

I dont know if anyones used the carp r us riglets but that is the sort of thing im hoping make.

I have tried tying them with esp ghost, but its too thick to go back through the eye of the hook and its really fiddly to get decent knots.

a mate was telling me he has seen something that kind of crimps these stiff hooklinks instead of tying knots. anyone know about this?

I dont know if anyones used the carp r us riglets but that is the sort of thing im hoping make.

Fox make a crimpers for no-knots. But i don't know about their effectivness.

Fox predator range is where you will find them mate. very good peice of kit, highly reccomend them :wink:

ESP Stiff riggers or Drennan continental boilie hooks are pretty decent for D rigs.

If you're going to use a fluoro' or thick mono you might want to use a "bigish" hook. Maybe a 6 in the Drennan or a 4 in the ESP.

Personally i don't like fluoro' links much, i prefer bristle filament,. I've been using the Fox stuff but have just switched to ESP (both in 15lb) and it seems much more workable.

Hope that is some use to you.

Seleb.

Started to play with the wychwood crimping set up for booms but too early to offer an opinion yet.

For D rings hook lengths I have not had any probs with 15lb Ghost but cleat trilene is fine to use.

If you do fancy a go crimping it's no good with fluoro carbon material. Fluoro I understand doesn't like to be compressed hence why certain knots are unsafe to use.

mantis! thats all i have used for years... PUKKA 8)

Mantis or mantis gold, with a small section stripped back usually

D-rigs work well with Bottom baits or pop-ups and particularly well with critically balanced baits.

Basically something like that:

Coated Braid D-rig:

CoatedBraidD-Rigforpop-ups.jpg

cheers guys, will look at the bristle filament stuff. and will have to get some stiff rigger hooks. trip to tackle shop at lunch i think.

in that pic you have attached you have a D-ring and a hair, I either use one or the other, are you using both? or have you attached a hair to the ring?

cheers guys, will look at the bristle filament stuff. and will have to get some stiff rigger hooks. trip to tackle shop at lunch i think.

in that pic you have attached you have a D-ring and a hair, I either use one or the other, are you using both? or have you attached a hair to the ring?

The hair is actually what I tie the bait on with. Looking at that knot I set it up for a 18mm Pop-up. I do have a small hair coming off from the Ring, normally just to give a bit of lateral movement as well as backwards and forwards

You can tie a d rig using 25lb IQ it still goes through the eye twice of a size 6 wide gape (or most hooks).

Surely you want the invisibility of IQ or Ghost - what hooks you using coz both these materials will thread twice?

Crimps - please leave it out :lol:

yeah mate but for a d-rig the hooklink needs to go through three times.

picked up some size 6 esp stiff riggers at lunch time, so hopefully get a couple tied up tonight ready for the weekend.

You've got me thinking now - does it really? lol - if it does then my IQ manages to pass through three times on a size 6 Korda Pattern B.

Ghost of about 15 lb would pass through dead easy - the 25lb IQ is easy enough :wink:

PS I really had to think hard to realise this 3 times thing - must be getting old lol :oops:

I've been tying mine using a Domhof whipping knot, that way the line only has to pass through the eye once when tying the hair-rig bit, then there's plenty of room for the tag bit of the line to be brought back through to form the D. Plus, it's a lot easier to tie very short hooklinks with that knot (1" chod rigs etc.)

think it was 18lb ghost i was using before and it wouldnt go through any.

they do seem to have slightly larger eyes on the stiff riggers.

i am not up on my whipping knots but that would be a good solution, any knots are a right nightmare to tie with this stiff hooklinks?

Too right I've got the scars to prove it - dangerous stuff! I pulled a hook right through my thumb starting with the nail, that was fun! The joy of pulling using pliers to tighten it - one slip and your in trouble.

Yeah sorry 18lb is the right Ghost BS - I reckon I've been lucky with the Korda hooks and Fangs - coz they must just have big eyes.

In fact thinking back I remember having to cut the IQ into a point to get it through one type of hook - pretty damn tight.

i am not up on my whipping knots but that would be a good solution, any knots are a right nightmare to tie with this stiff hooklinks?

It can be a bit tricky, use a pair of forceps to hold the flourocarbon when tying the knot if it gets awkward. I'm using 25lb IQ and the Gardner D-Ceptor (i think that's how its spelt) stiff-rigger hooks, and it works a treat.