Need help should I upgrade Rods

Hi all well i haven't been on here for a long time however need help deciding what i should do at the moment i have these 2 x Fox Warrior s 12ft 2.75 lbs TC rods which are in very good condition not been used that much i am either planing a long weekend in the United Kingdom at a venue or going to France for 1 week carp fishing on my own this will be my first experience going to France what about my Rods should i upgrade these if i decide to go to France? i am looking at these rods Fox Horizon X 12ft 3.5 lbs TC. When i go carp fishing i have only done one day fishing in the UK any help would be great.

Your rods are fine for your fishing, and will cope with almost every UK and French water. In most cases, there is absolutely no need to upgrade. The rods you use in this country are fine for abroad, it is only if you need to cast longer distances that there is any need to buy higher test curve.

For years I used 2.75lb test curve rods on waters from 1acre to over 200 acres, and caught fish on them all. 

Getting new rods, and getting used to them can take time, you may need to examine your casting style, sort your reels to suit. 

1 hour ago, salokcinnodrog said:

Your rods are fine for your fishing, and will cope with almost every UK and French water. In most cases, there is absolutely no need to upgrade. The rods you use in this country are fine for abroad, it is only if you need to cast longer distances that there is any need to buy higher test curve.

For years I used 2.75lb test curve rods on waters from 1acre to over 200 acres, and caught fish on them all. 

Getting new rods, and getting used to them can take time, you may need to examine your casting style, sort your reels to suit. 

Hi thanks for all your reply's it seems that i might have been using the wrong size lead while casting out i have been using 2 oz 2.5 oz leads but after contacting Fox International and asking them what's the recommend max casting weight is up to 3 oz leads so would i be able to cast this 120 yards  

As others have said, unless you need to cast to the horizon with coconut sized baits, or heavy rigs, your current rods will be fine.

I've used 2.25tc rods for years, caught a 33lb Mirror twice in France last year and the last thing I worried about during the scrap was my rod.

20 hours ago, mirrorcarp_27 said:

Hi thanks for all your reply's it seems that i might have been using the wrong size lead while casting out i have been using 2 oz 2.5 oz leads but after contacting Fox International and asking them what's the recommend max casting weight is up to 3 oz leads so would i be able to cast this 120 yards  

With most rods, the test curve is an indication of the best casting weight. 2.75lb TC rods are best suited to 2.75-3oz leads as you have discovered.

Whether you can cast 120yards is down to a number of things:

Your reel. The reel needs to be big enough to hold the line. A 10000 size Shimano baitrunner can cast 120yards, but not with 15lb/0.35mm line.

The line you are using. If you are using 15lb line then the reel needs to be Big Pit style. If you are using a 10000 size baitrunner, then with 8-10lb line (and shockleader), you could cast 120yards with 3oz lead.

Your casting style. 120yards is a BIG cast, not a standard distance, it is a massive cast that takes practice and having the correct style, and possibly even the right weather conditions.

Most anglers who think that they are casting 100metres are probably closer to 80m. They very much overestimate the distance. It is only unless you can measure that you can be sure.

Finally don't aim just to be a long caster, far more big fish are caught in your near side margins than at long distance, and your margins are often an ignored area :wink:

4 minutes ago, salokcinnodrog said:

Finally don't aim just to be a long caster, far more big fish are caught in your near side margins than at long distance, and your margins are often an ignored area:wink:

This is the stupid thing about Carp fishing. You'll turn up at a lake and immediately start fishing the far margins because you're told that's where the fish are.

But the bloke on the other side of the lake, who has been told the same thing, is doing his level best to put his bait about a foot out from where YOU are standing!!

4 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

Your casting style. 120yards is a BIG cast, not a standard distance, it is a massive cast that takes practice and having the correct style, and possibly even the right weather conditions.

That! 

A great caster will cast a 2.75 TC rod 120 yards. A bad caster will struggle to hit 100 with a 3.50 TC rod.

Check out Mark Hutchinson and Terry Edmonds casting vids on Youtube, they added miles to my casting.

1 hour ago, yonny said:

That! 

A great caster will cast a 2.75 TC rod 120 yards. A bad caster will struggle to hit 100 with a 3.50 TC rod.

Check out Mark Hutchinson and Terry Edmonds casting vids on Youtube, they added miles to my casting.

Hi yonny thanks for the tip about watching Mark Hutchinson and Terry Edmonds casting vids on Youtube i am now going to watch8)

7 hours ago, yonny said:

That! 

Years ago I was using 2.25lb test curve Armalite rods and 4000size Baitrunners, with 8lb line and a 30lb Shock leader and putting a bait out to 120metres, (measured), one heck of a cast! I moved to 2.75lb SP's, with 15lb line,  shockleader and Aerlex's and with the thicker line was hitting an absolute maximum of 125metres, which was still a big cast on Ardleigh, strangely enough, the far bank at Wick Lane end to cast at showing fish. I caught more at shorter ranges, usually around 50metres maximum than I ever did at long range.

I am so out of practice I struggle with long casting now, I have to practice to get back into the groove, and it can take a few hours to get back into the swing. When I am casting long distance regularly it is a whole lot easier. Even now although I have a set of casting rods, I again, have caught more fish on the lagoons at ranges of less than 50metres.

Well i haven't been carp fishing for a very long time now around (3/4 years now) however i am going to start going soon i hope but having no wheels at the moment  to get around can be a problem i could always get a bus lol. I couldn't remember what models number my 2 X SHIMANO   Baitrunner are ST 10000 RA  while i was checking this i noticed that my 12 lb X line Fluorocarbon line was discoloured so going to buy new line which main line do you recommend i should get also will i need a shockleader using 3 oz leads 

When i did go carp fishing a few years ago i would take a lot of carp gear so if i need to get a bus for now will try to take what i need only  as i don't think the bus Driver would be that happy with me 

With my bait like pop ups boilies will these still be ok to use as these are in their tubs:? 

Edited by mirrorcarp_27

1 hour ago, mirrorcarp_27 said:

Well i haven't been carp fishing for a very long time now around (3/4 years now) however i am going to start going soon i hope but having no wheels at the moment  to get around can be a problem i could always get a bus lol. I couldn't remember what models number my 2 X SHIMANO   Baitrunner are ST 10000 RA  while i was checking this i noticed that my 12 lb X line Fluorocarbon line was discoloured so going to buy new line which main line do you recommend i should get also will i need a shockleader using 3 oz leads 

When i did go carp fishing a few years ago i would take a lot of carp gear so if i need to get a bus for now will try to take what i need only  as i don't think the bus Driver would be that happy with me 

With my bait like pop ups boilies will these still be ok to use as these are in their tubs:? 

Fluorocarbon (or any mainline) can get dirty or discoloured, so can actually pay to give it a clean before replacing it.

Fluoro will often last a couple of years over mono. I replace my mono usually twice a year at least.

X line is not the best casting line.

It would be best to go to one of the best mainline threads around :wink:

If it is distance you are after i would look at line lay and what line you are using ... old line will never cast as far as new line ... normally half way throu the season i will load my reels with fresh line or to save money re-spool your line onto a spare spool so the fresh stuff is now on top.

I can gain upto 30 yards in some cases depending on the line.

Also when casting try not to over do the cast by that i mean put all your power into it ... a smoother softer cast will always go further than a hard swung cast.

I would not change rods 2.75 is more than enuff ... also the shape of the lead will also affect distance so use one suited to long distance casting.

Them rods with the right line and lead will easily hit 150 yards.

Yes 150 yards is quite a chuck i have seen it done on rods of the same test thoe ... mabey my quote (easily) is abit misleading as its not easy atall and on them rods untested by myself i cannot give an accurate reply sorry ... but spot on with (do you need to be fishing at that distance) not atall most of my fishing does not exceed 80 yards ... i much rather hit a clear spot in open water at 50 yards than hit an island at 90 yards ... thoes that recast at night will understand the how easier that makes things.

Edited by DEANO30

• 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, dayvid said:

Not really  if you use Basia type reels , tapered shockleader , 3 to 4 oz lead 10 lb line or braid and are able to Pendulum cast.

Lol..... not really if you use £1,500 lightweight reels, purpose made casting lines, and you master tournament casting techniques? 

Helps if you're Terry Edmonds too:lol:

Like I said, realistically, it aint gonna happen, juts my opinion buddy. I'd bet there's a handful of guys in this country who could put a baited rig 150 with a 2.75. I certainly aint one of them.

On 08/02/2017 at 10:41, yonny said:

150 with a 2.75 is completely unrealistic IMO.

Definitely mate .... if i tried to load my 2.75 rods for a 150 chuck it would explode during the cast .

I have a selection of rods for a reason this being one of them .

& unless your casting over ground & measuring your cast your never know your true distance. 

Hitting the clip doesn't mean your casting the distance wrapped up !