Decent set up that won't bankrupt me

What type of job do you want the gear to do, margin to medium range, medium to long, or compromise a bit of speciality with all rounders, it may also be worth looking at separates rather than two of the same and cover more bases.

What size of fish do you want it to cope with, better to suit starting gear to your preferred style and expectation.

Lots of questions I know but better to think about these things before buying than after.

Edited by bishops

What type of job do you want the gear to do, margin to medium range, medium to long, or compromise a bit of speciality with all rounders, it may also be worth looking at separates rather than two of the same and cover more bases.

What size of fish do you want it to cope with, better to suit starting gear to your preferred style and expectation.

Lots of questions I know but better to think about these things before buying than after.

I'm aiming to do weekends on various lakes around the country I have a few that I'm hoping to do on a regular basis , one is my local club lake which is a large water (only allowed one rod unless your a syndicate member) with carp up in to the high 20's , another is a commercial lake near swansea called white springs , I think that's a good idea with the two different rods , I'm looking at reviews for "greys prodigy gt3" atm

I've got the gt3's in 3lb to and they are fantastic all rounders. They'll do long range and under the rod tip...

But does your set up budget allow for pod/ buzzer bars, alarms and net etc? If so 2 of the gt3s coupled with a decent reel each then your budget is going to be used up. If I was you I'd look at the fox warrior range and team these with some wychwood riot reels, if you shop around should leave you about 100 quid to deal with alarms (Nash sirens s5 are very good budget alarms) one of the ft gear pods is quite good at a decent price and then maybe look at ngt for the net.

I've got the gt3's in 3lb to and they are fantastic all rounders. They'll do long range and under the rod tip...

But does your set up budget allow for pod/ buzzer bars, alarms and net etc? If so 2 of the gt3s coupled with a decent reel each then your budget is going to be used up. If I was you I'd look at the fox warrior range and team these with some wychwood riot reels, if you shop around should leave you about 100 quid to deal with alarms (Nash sirens s5 are very good budget alarms) one of the ft gear pods is quite good at a decent price and then maybe look at ngt for the net.

£300 is the budget I'm willing to spend on the rods and reels mate bit more if required

Can I make a suggestion or multiples of?

"Various lakes around the country"

to learn more and get experience I would concentrate on one, or at most two lakes. If you fish various lakes you will not learn about a particular water and how fish respond. Almost every lake fishes differently, different fish respond to anglers and pressure differently.

I would actually get one test curve of rod, not various test curves. I fish a two rod water yet always take three rods. The spare rod is rigged up ready to cast, in case I see a showing fish, or need to put a bait out in a hurry to replace one I have just reeled in.

That could be cast out to either rod, the one in the margins, or the one at long range. What happens if the rod is not heavy enough test curve to hit the long distance mark?

I can't guarantee it would be replacing the margin rod!

I would be buying new rods and reels, not second hand. Second hand rods may suffer from previous owner abuse, or even worse, previous owner pinched. I know when I have had my tackle pinched I was devastated, I would not wish that on anyone else.

I also know that my rods and reels are well used. I am regularly casting stringers to over 100metres, heavy work will soften them :wink:

Most rods soften over time, what started as a 3lb may, 5 or 6 years later be 2.75 or 2.5 as it has been used and abused.

If a rod is autoclaved (and not every manufacturer does), it will last longer. Cheaper carbons will also soften faster than more expensive carbon cloths.

Look at Fox Warrior Rods, and I would also be looking at Shimano ST range reels, I do not trust most other makes of reels, and Shimano have never let me down.

There were also Shimano deals around, Shimano Rod and reels, and to be honest, they are pretty good.

to learn more and get experience I would concentrate on one, or at most two lakes. If you fish various lakes you will not learn about a particular water and how fish respond. Almost every lake fishes differently, different fish respond to anglers and pressure differently.

I would actually get one test curve of rod, not various test curves. I fish a two rod water yet always take three rods. The spare rod is rigged up ready to cast, in case I see a showing fish, or need to put a bait out in a hurry to replace one I have just reeled in.

That could be cast out to either rod, the one in the margins, or the one at long range. What happens if the rod is not heavy enough test curve to hit the long distance mark?

I would be buying new rods and reels, not second hand. Second hand rods may suffer from previous owner abuse, or even worse, previous owner pinched. I know when I have had my tackle pinched I was devastated, I would not wish that on anyone else.

I also know that my rods and reels are well used. I am regularly casting stringers to over 100metres, heavy work will soften them :wink:

Most rods soften over time, what started as a 3lb may, 5 or 6 years later be 2.75 or 2.5 as it has been used and abused.

If a rod is autoclaved (and not every manufacturer does), it will last longer. Cheaper carbons will also soften faster than more expensive carbon cloths.

Look at Fox Warrior Rods, and I would also be looking at Shimano ST range reels, I do not trust most other makes of reels, and Shimano have never let me down.

There were also Shimano deals around, Shimano Rod and reels, and to be honest, they are pretty good.

Bow, every word written above could have come from my mouth. The Fox Warrior range of rods are considered to be amongst the best value for money that are available. If I were in your position I'd opt for a 3lb test curve.

As for reels, over my decades of carp fishing I've owned and used many but I always default to Shimano or Diawa with a distinct preference for Shimano as I've never, ever, been let down by one.

My current favourites are Big Baitrunner Longcasts but I'm happy to use my 10000XTEA's, assuming, of course, that my son hasn't "borrowed" them.....like he does......

Ian

Thank you mate I will keep it in mind

Pair of Shimano ST10000's will be around £100.

You honestly don't need to go up to DL range unless you want a spare spool.

Bear in mind, a number of tackle brands prices will be going up shortly!

I will be looking to buy at the end of the month hopefully as long as no un expected bills change that

http://www.anglingdirect.co.uk/shimano-tribal-velocity-50mm-butt-rodBrilliant rods for the money in either 3lb or 3.25 lbI've been using 3.25 lb for 3mnths regularly and can vouch for them. I went for the 3.25 to make casting PVA bags a lot easier.http://www.anglingdirect.co.uk/shimano-ultegra-xtd-reelCoupled with these in either size. I've got the smaller 5500 as I don't like bulky reels. If you want massive distance, 100yds plus, then the larger spooled version would suit best.Those two should come to just around your budget. It's a decent set up that will cover everything. :)

Can't guarantee the tackle shop, :lol: but I can guarantee that the products shown are good :wink:

I've just got some new Shimano Tribal Velocity rods for Christmas. I got 11 footers (just prefer them) and despite the fact that I haven't used them yet they feel very nice in the hand.

There are lots and lots of different makes of rod out there in the mid price sector, it really is a buyers market!

Fox, Chub, Wychwood, Sonik, Daiwa to name just a few.

Any of these manufacturers products would hold you in good stead.

But as others have said, you must decide on what sort of carping you are likely to be doing for the vast majority of the time.

It is all too easy to get confused, and to get caught up in the latest "must haves" etc.

For the vast majority of us, a 2.75 or 3.00 test curve rod will suffice, unless you envisage your fishing being at longer range (70 yards plus) which would necessitate a rod with more backbone to lob a heavy lead or PVA bag to the horizon.

A 2.75tc rod will allow you to bank any carp that you are likely to encounter in our waters, whilst still having the required "action" to play it properly.

A lighter test curve rod would also allow you to fish with a little more "finesse" if required, say floater fishing or when fishing small, intimate venues. Try doing that with 3.5lb test curve rods and you are going to be massively "over gunned".

With regards reels, again you don't need "big pits" unless you are going to fish longer ranges. It's all about balance.

A good baitrunner from the likes of Shimano, (the market leader), Daiwa, Wychwood or Fox etc. will last you years.

I have personally used reels from Shimano, Daiwa and Wychwood. For some reason I always find myself favouring Diawa, but that is just personal choice.

I had 3 Wychwood Solace 10 ACS reels for some time and loved them. But I have now gone back to Daiwa and passed the Wychwoods on to my daughter. She too loves them.

You just want to get something that will hold a "decent" amount of say 12-15lb line. 

Decided I'm going to get one setup for now and see how I get on with it (can only use one on my club water anyway) I will see on the weekend what my local tackle store stocks when I pick up this year's permit (hopefully something that's been recommended ) I shall let you all know how I get on

Going to just put them in the shed and hope she doesn't notice lol

This is where I am cleverer than a clever thing having a particularly clever day.... Whatever I order gets delivered to work. Pop it in the jam jar and drive home, leaving said items in the boot. Get up early while she is still lying in bed farting and snoring and sneak them down into the shed. Works every time.