Running Leads

David_gravesend

Can't say I really use a running lead . More semifixed  when using a lead clip. When I was using a helicopter set up this year, the top bead was very loose almost running and I never felt overly confident with this set up. Convinced I was getting done as there was little in the way of reistance .  Apparently, screaming takes with running rigs......... sadly not for me :cry: .. I guess like anything it's a confidence thing, had I of caught a few with this set up I would probably swear by it........ Having said that, the water I'm fishing is hardly a runs water and even the regulars suffer a fair few blanks, so it's not too easy to gauge the effectiveness of rigs when the action is slow.

Do you use a running set up? If so , what are your views? :P

I do, i'm just getting back into my fishing and there just seems to be a fascination with using safety clips etc which i see as a bit of a fashion thing and if set up incorrectly can do more harm than good. Its simple and i have the utmost confidence in it (like you say confidence is key). 

I've done a couple of sessions since starting up again and was having a chat with the baliff at the local water, we were discussing rigs and i mentioned i was on a running lead setup and he replied with "wow, first time i've seen someone use one of those on here for about 5 years!"

I use a running lead with run ring for almost all of my fishing; fished with a slack line as a proper running lead, or the same set-up can be fished with a tight line for a semi-fixed lead.

A few years ago on Brackens I fished with a running lead, compared to most other anglers who were using lead clips and semi-fixed. I honestly think my results were a lot more fish than they were catching.

Even on The Lagoons when no undertow allows I switch back to a running lead at ranges from short to 100metres.

Got to disagree with you lads i am afraid, on summer waters with weed rife , you are asking for trouble, you create a weed collecting arc with the lead holding the line low and lasooing the canadian and all other weed present in massive quantities, this is folly, a bolt nails them without water cushioning, line stretch, bottom profile hazards, and missed bites through in sufficient force applied is rife, only short range snag free venues are suitable for this method, keep an open mind, i have witnessed guys walking backwards and hammering strikes at 100 yards totally failing to connect in 14 feet whilst the bolt does the biz everytime.

im with smufter on this except when im not. :wink:

anything over 60yds and i expect my needle sharp hook to do its job. :lol:

How are people fishing their running leads? On the mainline or are people opting for lead core?

Always on the mainline with a tungsten mainline sinker about 2 foot above the hooklink. These pin the mainline to the deck and allow the lead to pass over in the event of a breakage. I used leadcore once and promised to never use it again

How are people fishing their running leads? On the mainline or are people opting for lead core?

Years ago I used to use Leadcore with running leads, but eventually a breakage forced me to rethink the set-up.

I had a fast take on a lake with some severe gravel bars, and I got a breakage above the Leadcore on the mainline. The fish would be trailing the rig, the lead if that got caught up on the Leadcore, and the Leadcore itself.

It along with comments from people on here got me to rethink and experiment what I was doing. As a result I discovered that as far as I was concerned there was or is no safe way to fish Leadcore.

If you fish a running lead, with a large run ring, then on a shock leader the run ring, and lead can be ejected.

However, the only safe way to fish if there are any weeds or snags is leader free, so the lead can definitely be ejected.