I find this strange

Okay so a lot of main lines I see, mainly those designated for floater fishing, come in lengths of 100m. Now, I know most people who practice this light type of fishing won't use 0.40 or 0.30 lines in diameter, I personally prefer 0.18 to 0.20 at most, but here comes the part that bugs me - my reel can hold around 280 metres of 0.20 line, and I've noticed most match reels are of sizes ranging from 150 metres/8 lb to 300 metres/8lb, so if I want to use the mainline of X firm which comes in rolls of 100 metres I'd need around 2-3 rolls and 2-3 knots on my lines, which I find unappealing... So, can anyone enlighten me? Am I missing something? 

old shoelaces is a great idea, I've used last years line, electrical tape and the green string gardeners use in the past to bulk out spools but never though of that one, cheers.

I once brought a reel second hand that had elastic bands as backing to bulk out the spool.

Duct tape and cork sheets for backing

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah, well I was just wondering why they make 100m long mainlines when they can just make 100/150/200/250/300 etc and make it so much easier for us fishermen... 

Because then they can't sell you the idea that you need another line to bulk the spool out, I'm surprised no one does a bulking the spool line yet  

Because then they can't sell you the idea that you need another line to bulk the spool out, I'm surprised no one does a bulking the spool line yet

They call it "backing", available wherever fly fishing supplies are sold. The old-style dacron line we used to use on baitcasters looks the same and works fine, equally important is it doesn't slip on the spool like rod wraps.