Best rig for presenting worms for carp

Darkcommon

Hi Guys and Girls,

Fishing a venue where worms are the killer (apparently) having never fished using them, I'm worried about using a supple braid as the wriggling worms might ruin presentation.  I was thinking a D rig with fluorocarbon or using something like fox camotex stiff with a bit stripped back closer to the hook.  Would it be best to put some cork or foam to counter balance the rig?  I was going to thread the worms on to a big maggot ring and have a bit of pop up foam/corn on top and underneath.

Thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Guys and Girls,

Fishing a venue where worms are the killer (apparently) having never fished using them, I'm worried about using a supple braid as the wriggling worms might ruin presentation.  I was thinking a D rig with fluorocarbon or using something like fox camotex stiff with a bit stripped back closer to the hook.  Would it be best to put some cork or foam to counter balance the rig?  I was going to thread the worms on to a big maggot ring and have a bit of pop up foam/corn on top and underneath.

Thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

hiya bud!! welcome to the forum,

i used to use a coated braid with a long supple hair and hair rig the worm then inject a little air with a syringe, you have to balance the worm with enough air to float the hook but the downside was having to change your bait every 30 min or so cos the air leaked out slowly.

hope this helps,,, Jon :wink:

Edited by cyborx

Thanks for the reply Jon, I'll tie a few up and test them in a tank injecting them to see how long the buoyancy lasts.  I'd probably have to change them at that rate anyway with nuisance fish pecking away at them. I'll let you know how I get on.

Appreciate the response.

Matt

Welcome to the forum.

I usually just put lobworms straight on the hook, and a big hook at that for chub or carp, a size 2 or 4!

A lot of my fishing with worms was actually stalking with a lift float, or for chub freelined, so takes were often pretty quick after casting.

Thanks for the info lads,  tried a few rigs out last night with worms.

I tried the d rig with foam under 4 worms threaded on to a maggot ring, worked pretty well to be honest, no worms caught the hook point, was well balanced and presenting well.

I put 2 worms on maggot ring with cork under on a small hinged stiff rig, also worked well.

I did try injecting the worms and presenting on a rig, after 15 mins the worms lost the air inside and fell slowly to the bottom, presentation was still ok but hard on the deck.