pebble drop off system

gagnaccarp

I'm so cheap and lazy that if I was going to consider them disposable or near as, I might take the path of least resistance and just drill in 1/8" or so and glue in a swivel, (cheap or otherwise).  For distance you might gain a bit by trimming the stone with a tile saw or chop saw or grinder and vise to make it more aerodynamic but be careful, it's all good fun until someone loses an eye.  I'm curious about just what it takes to drill into or through stones as I have a drill press and vise in the basement, and like the notion of in-lines as well.

I drilled all holes with a bog standard masonry drill bit , to make the bigger hole I started off with a 6 mm drill bit then used a 8 mm then 10 mm then 12 mm , I will look at both methods , glue in swivel and the hole through . !

the soft sandstone I drill is quite soft , I just hold the stone in my left hand and drill with my right hand with the stone resting on a wooden bench or something that doesn't matter if it gets drilled ,my drill is light though , might be tricky with a heavier drill !

• 1 month later...

I used to use plasticine as a weight for chub fishing, moulded around the line or as a drop off weight moulded around a couple of shot on a paternoster link.

After time it sets solid in the tackle box, and no amount of kneading will make it go soft again, so some blocks had a loop of line pushed through them.

That would defeat the object Nick, i need it to come off, anything forcing the fishes head down or snagging in the lilies means a lost fish, it may suit guys long casting but its not what i use it for, another option maybe.

The loop does pull out when it snags up, which is why I still use it.

A short length of Amnesia pushed in and through, with the ends lighter blobbed to stop them pulling out on the cast, but allowing it to pull out on any tension or snagging