fishing in silt

carpinthenet

:P im guessing you don't use lead core then?

i use tubing instead because i don't like splicing but i thought most people used it

I dont use leaders of any sort mate , but i wont bore you with that but if you get a chance have a read through these if you havent already :wink:

https://forum.carp.com/topic/3936-leader-or-not/

https://forum.carp.com/topic/15772-leadcore/?fromsearch=1

Edited by newmarket

Just search leadcore, it's controversial - some for and some against; vehemently so. It's only been a short while since the last one.

Helicopter is your hook-link coming off your main line via a ring (of some description) with your lead at the end of your main line; the same as a chod really, or even a paternoster. It's just alternative ways of viewing it [the "rig"], lengths of hook-links, length from where the hook-link is in relation to the lead...

Sorry if I've confused you even more.

Hi citn.

Don't limit yourself to fishing above the silt, mate. (not that I am saying you are)

If you see Carp flopping over the top of your silt, it is a good sign that they have been burying their heads past the gills in the silt and are dancing across the water to clear them. (obviously this isn't always the case though)

Maybe a hook with a boom hair would suit your purpose in the silt instead of following the norm.

You certainly aren't doing too much, if anything wrong, what with the results you have had this week. :wink:

Joe I'd be very happy fishing into normal brown silt so go for it. You might have to think a bit more about the end tackle for the distance rod to ensure you are happy with the way it is fishing, but all things being equal if you feather/stop the lead well as it hits, and apply a few of the tricks, you should be fine. Maybe try a chod type setup with the lead on an extension and the top bead well back, but with a bottom bait?

Regarding the Black, rotting type silt my experiences are very different to some of you guys. I'll confidently fish into pretty much any silty area but I can't recall ever having a fish from an area where the silt was sludgy Black and smells strongly of decay. I'm not talking just your normal smelly mud here that is often alive with goodies, but the stuff that smells of sewerage. Places like right under overhanging hardwood trees where the leaf matter is really thick. Worst I ever encountered was when there was an algal bloom, and all the weed died in the lake and rotted on the bottom to a Black slimy layer. No one took a fish off the bottom for weeks/months.

Bottom bait on a Chod rig?

Ha ha yes, I have to describe it that way as everyone these days knows what a Chod rig is. What I was describing used to be called a helicopter rig of course.

Ideal for the situation that the OP described especially at distance, but a more natural presentation than a 2" popup like the traditional Chod. And different to what most if not all others on the lake will be fishing. Even if you're being watched closely because you are catching, no one will know that you are fishing a bottom bait... :wink:

Bream? Slimy 'orrible things... Never had my longed for double out of Horseshoe despite trying at least once every season.

What are we talking "Specimen sized" here then?

Ooh err Mrs.

I hate leadcore and don't use the stuff except as a lead link.

My helicopter rigs are a kind of naked set-up albeit with a bit of tubing and beads, and I prefer not to use bomb on end of line as I think you get funny bites, less indication and more hook pulls.

Strangely enough I do prefer a high pop-up over smelly black weed laden rotten silt. Black sulphurous stuff I think the fish won't dig in to feed, but occasionally they may live or patrol around it, so this is where I use a bait that is high above the lakebed. The pop-up is fished as an attractor, provoke a take, and well above the smell.

I reckon a specimen bream is anything above 9lb, but a double is the benchmark.

Nazeing can do anyone's head in!

Large water, can be noisy, sailing clubs, crayfish, a few fish and a number of pikies, foreigners who love their alcohol (on lagoons it is not often the anglers who leave empty cans and vodka bottles in the swim) and even dog walkers can be a pain in the butt.

Had a fish on a "Helicopter" over soft silt (In 3ft of water at around 80yds so very difficult to stop the lead plugging) in the early hours of Sunday, very nice too!

I should clarify there is no leadcore involved in this rig (Banned on the water I fish anyway!) just a length of tubing, a pair of beads and a ring swivel. The lead is on a 6" length of line for the reasons I stated before.

Hi citn.

Don't limit yourself to fishing above the silt, mate. (not that I am saying you are)

If you see Carp flopping over the top of your silt, it is a good sign that they have been burying their heads past the gills in the silt and are dancing across the water to clear them. (obviously this isn't always the case though)

Maybe a hook with a boom hair would suit your purpose in the silt instead of following the norm.

You certainly aren't doing too much, if anything wrong, what with the results you have had this week. :wink:

well tbh i have no idea how my bait is presentated, i am fishing in about 3ft of silt with a bottom bait with a lead clip set up so for all i know the bait could be buried deep into the silt.

i would guess the fish are feeding in the silt a lot because in the evenings carp are jumping out more than usual

But the rod have been casting towards the deeper part of the lake has only produced one fish for me so far (other rod is in the margin so i have a very light lead, don't have to cast far and using a multi rig, so i doubt my hook and bait has dug into the silt) so i could of got lucky and could be missing a lot of chances, if i found my hook was deep in the silt i would even though they could be feeding deep in the silt i would change my set up so the bait is on top because i think i would be a lot more likely for the carp too find and get hooked on my rig.