carp waters near telford

Weston-under-lizard angling club. Check out the web site. They have the speci pool 'Norton mere' opp Bell at tong pub with 30+lb carp. Hard water though very beautiful. Membership £60.00 a year. They also got the Swan Pit in Newport, daylight only water, but you get a double every time you go, my 8 year old daughter caught an 11lb common on Sunday!!

The Blue pool carp to near 30lb

Trench pool carp to over 30lb

Middle pool lots of carp to 25lb+

Wide waters carp to 25lb

Randley pool an unknown quantity but ive had em to big doubles

Dandy and castle pools loads of doubles

Apley loads of doubles

River Severn a few big carp

All of these are on a Telford ticket

Hinkshay pools at stirchley carp to 20lb on a Dawley ticket

Nordley pools just outside of Broseley a series of pools with carp to 20lb+ on a BAA ticket.

Thats a few to be going on with.

• 2 years later...

Last time I fished Apley you were lucky to get a 4lb fantailed common, let alone loads of doubles. Something like 18 bites the last trip on the Method, and bar one freak 12-pounder, the rest were 4lb or less.

My best mate caught two 17lb commons on consecutive days about 8 years ago (maybe more, I was at college at the time), but there's been a fish kill since then. We used to regularly catch 10-12lbers before the kill.

The Blue Pool had a famous common that used to get caught at 22lb or 28lb or 32lb or 25lb or whatever the bloke who caught it decided to call it on the day. We called it Springy Digits, because it was quite clearly a low 20 regular smeared with a good dose of B.S from time to time.

Trench has some hidden monsters. I've caught them to 27lb in the past from the wooded area (used to do early morning stalking sessions on my way to work.)

Dandy always holds a special place in my heart as it's where I caught my first and second and third carp! And my first 20, although I think they're quite rare these days.

I met a guy in Rod and Gun (Dawley) who had a small bait firm who'd caught most of the Wide Waters carp. There was a very scaley 25 in that bunch, albeit with a bodged-up mouth.

Hinkshay is awesome if you want to see your quarry. I had a brace of 20lb commons one sunny spring afternoon on fermented maize, caught just feet from the bank in the gin clear water. As is the way in Telford, it seems most of those larger brutes live somewhere else now.

If you want somewhere to catch bigger carp and like the tyres on your car and want to keep your tackle, then stick with Merrington bud! The water's listed are pretty much all near to housing estates and you will get punished to death by walkers.

Seems you haven't fished the local waters for some time as the guy with the small bait company is a very good friend of mine and he sold it a long time ago.

Now lets have alook at some of your other comments.

Apley now has a lot of doubles which have come on since the fish kill it even does the odd 20+now which have been caught in matches etc.

The blue pool common you are refering to is the mug which is now about 28/29lb i have posted pics of this fish on this forum at 25+ a few times. The blue also has a few other good fish with the slate grey mirror at just over 30lb and the long common another big 20 possible scraper 30. I will agree that this water is rife with idiots and rubbish though.

Your 20 out of the Dandy is only the second one i've ever heard of in over 25 years of fishing the water, i doubt anything that size in there now.

The scaley 25 from the wide died along time ago 10 years at least although it does now have some nice low 20lb commons.

Two 20 commons from hinkshay that's a right result that as i only ever saw 2 20s out of the place in 20 years of fishing it so well done on that one. As you say a clear water but badly run with stupid rules and it has suffered various fish kills over the years.

Seems to me you think all Telford waters are crap with your car getting done and tackle nicked funny that as other than the Blue i've never had any problems in 25 years of carp fishing the local waters. Perhaps keeping up to date with what ius being caught and actually spending time on the waters before posting helps eh.

I think most Telford waters are pony, yes. But only compared to the waters in north Shropshire – it's miles apart in terms of fish stocks. Half an hour up the A5 and you're in whacker country.

I haven't fished the local waters for some time but my trip to Apley was February 2008, so not that long ago. Maybe I had an unlucky day with the size of the fish? My folks used to live in the Apley Wood houses. (I'd since moved to Sheffield.) Even with a few doubles and a 20 or two, compared to the fishing at Merrington (where you can do nights) it's barely worth a glance, that was my point.

I'm pleased to hear about the Blue Pool. I must admit, after some lads told me to give them £20 or they'd set fire to my car I didn't really keep in touch with the place after that! Maybe that's tainted my view of the lake and others in the area? My comment about nicked tyres and tackle was a flippant one, by the way. But I would sooner leave my car at the end of a two mile lane in the middle of dense woodland on the outskirts of the back of beyond than in a layby next to a council house. And yes, I am a snob!

I've lived in Whitchurch and Oswestry since then and if you get a Prince Albert Card your fishing is sorted for life.

Fair play on tackling the Blue. He who dares wins, and all that!

Sounds like you've done a bit of fishing at Trench. Again, top bombing. I only ever braved one night up there and got tenched beyond oblivion. In fact, I'd argue the lake is the best tench water in Shropshire by some margin! Do they still catch crays in the cages? And does that fairly scaley mirror still knock about? I saw Reevesy with that fish on the bank and was blown away.

You're right about Hinkshay. It's a lovely little place (bottom pool). I don't know about 'well done', more like being a jammy git! That particular time most of the fish were grouping up to spawn so I just fished up the other end and got lucky.

I used to catch very little from there compared to the 'proper' carpers who turned up. One of the 20s I had came out all the time to this same bloke. Andy somebody, balding guy probably in his mid-20s, always wore a wax jacket. Ring any bells? He showed me what a Zig Rig was!

One water not mentioned is Horsehay. A school pal, Liam, used to tell me about some real monsters he used to see in there. I fished it once for the bream (of which there are plenty). My old Editor when I worked at the Star used to scuba dive in there. It's really deep, so the diving clubs used to use it a fair bit.

And the little pool up the end of the track off Wrekin Golf Course! I worked as a greenkeeper there for about two months when I'd finished college before I did my journalist training, and we used to ditch all the old grass cuttings down there. There were about a dozen of the oldest, gnarliest looking carp you've ever seen in that little lake. Nothing big, but lovely all the same. I tried in vane to catch one. One cracked twig and they'd melt away into the depths and you wouldn't see them again all day.

Some of the waters in all honesty for £24 a year aint that bad with some cracking carp in them. Yes i have done a lot of time on Trench and had some really nice fish with plenty of 20s to go at. The old scaley fish you are on about did get relocated to a retirement water for it's own good as it got caught about 6 times in a couple of weeks and was dropped on the rocks which did it the world of good. Wouldn't normally agree with moving it but it was done for its own good. It lasted a few more years having a peaceful existance until i found it dead about 5 years ago. I have never had any trouble with my van while fishing Trench which i have done a lot these last few years just park on the pub carpark. Some stunning looking scaley mirrors and big commons in there at the moment.

Still lots of crays in the water and plenty on Tench we have had them to doubles while carping.

The pool at Horsehay you are on about is Simpsons pool, not supossed to be any fishing and to be honest there are only two fishable spots on the pool but yes their are some very big carp in the water which do like a mixer :wink::wink: The pool in the village is the one full of bream but it does have a few carp in it.

The pool up part the golf course we used to fish for Rudd and Roach many many years ago never had any of the carp though.

Your point about the North Shropshire waters and the likes of Merrington is a fair one but the big problem is that most anglers just dont have access to those waters and in most likelyhood never will so they have to make the most of what is avaiable locally. For £24 quid a year you have access to carp over 30lb in 3 or 4 waters ie the Blue, Trench, Middle which has done a 32lb this year and some whackers in the Severn and maybe one or two surprises in other waters and lets be honest that aint bad value.

Jez

well thaks for all the talk on the pools ill be trying them in the week and hope to do good

unless you know of some big carp pools

my best so far after restating fishing is only a 17.5lb but it was worth it

that was on a meat ball as well and size 12 small hook

steve

well thaks for all the talk on the pools ill be trying them in the week and hope to do good

unless you know of some big carp pools

my best so far after restating fishing is only a 17.5lb but it was worth it

that was on a meat ball as well and size 12 small hook

steve

Well done mate 17.5lb is still a decent carp in my book.

• 3 weeks later...

No mate you get to them by going up Hinkshay road which comes off finger road in dawley. Drive up hinkshay road until you come to the wreck of an old pub and turn right down the track next to it, this track leads down to the pools. The large water i think you are on about is Holmer lake which is right next to the dual carrigeway before the Stirchley exit.

Telford Anglers Acossiation.

Where/who would I get more information from?

I have been out of the loop for a few years since moving from up north and am a bit lost, from what I'm reading the telford ticket sounds like a good start? Found one set of contacts online but never sure if they are upto date!

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...