Stripping coated braid

Ddgx

• 6 years later...

I made my own braid stripper using a stapler remover - a satisfying and fun project for the handy man. And it works! You also need a strip of 1.2mm sheet steel, a feeler gauge (0.25mm, or the thickness of the inner braid), epoxy glue and a few basic metal working tools. Cut two lengths of steel strip to a width fitting between the "teeth" of the staple remover, allowing sufficient length to bend each piece in a L-shape. Fit a L-piece to the inside of the upper and lower "jaw" of the staple remover respectively, so as to produce two opposing cutting edges between the teeth thereof. Trim the cutting edges to a proper length and sharpen them with a file so that they would cut through the braid coating when some pressure is applied. Then glue the L-shaped pieces in position, making sure the cutting edges close accurately on each other. Allow the epoxy glue to dry and harden. Next shape and fit a piece of steel between the "jaws" of the staple remover, so that the two cutting edges are 0.25mm (10 thou) apart when the jaws are closed. This requires some precision work, but once done your staple remover is ready to strip the coating off the braid. You may contact me on rene@leroux.mobi for more information.

On 25/11/2014 at 16:43, Ddgx said:

This should probably be in the stupid questions thread, but hey, I'd rather shamelessly plod towards a life better educated than sit here all quiet and stupid!

So, what's the best way of stripping coated hooklink material, without accidentally chewing through some of the braid itself (which is what I seem to be doing 50% of the time) ? Cheers. Dan.

I strip it with my finger nails between finger an thumb strips fine