Best Hook Presentation

Prof. Nurhadi

Being new to the game, I've just recently been looking into hair rigs..

From the photos and videos i've looked at, there seems to be two ways of presenting the hook when you float your bait off the bottom...

One shows the shank of the hook  floating vertically and the other has the shank angled so the point is facing more backwards..

Any particular reason for this?..Is one more effective than the other?

Edited by Prof. Nurhadi

Are the fish sucking and blowing, or mouthing the bait?

Shank straight up, hookbait tight to back of hookshank, perfect for fish that mouth it.

Hook sitting parallel to the bottom, for fish that suck and blow or clamp their mouth over the bait.

My view anyway, caught on both, but usually after watching how the fish feed so tend to go in with whichever I think is best

So the general consensus seems to be that it will work either way..

I'm not using your standard hair rig..I had to modify the design to compensate for the disabillity in my hand..It's almost impossible for me to tie a small loop..

I'll take a photo shortly of the rig I'm using when the batteries are charged..and describe how it's made..

Here are some photos of the rig that I'm using..They're not very sharp but I think you'll get the idea..

This one shows how the rig would look underwater..

DSCN1706_zpsf18bcd60.jpg

This shot shows the hook is vertical when floating off the bottom..

DSCN1707_zps0b8bb7d0.jpg

And with the hook point angled..

DSCN1708_zpsb88e30fb.jpg

This is how the "hair" is made.

.I used a size 2 hook of which the eye snugly fitted over the barb of the size 6 hook..The shank of the large hook is then cut to length to accommodate the floating fake corn..The corn is pushed onto the cut shank and slid almost up to the eye to make sure that it can easily move around..

The top corn is then pulled out a bit so as not to have any of the metal showing through the corn..

The angle of the hook below the bait can then be adjusted to any angle using a small piece of silicone tubing..

DSCN1709_zps1566fb38.jpg

You can buy plastic bait spikes Prof, same principle but lighter.

Yes.. I just came across them the other day..I wondered though if they would be strong enough when pushing on those plastic corns?

I think its amazing how people amongst us adapt and find ways around their physical disabilities i really do bravo Prof !

Thanks newmarket..As they say "neccessity is the mother of invention"!

Reminds me of the Drennan boilie bayonet from the early nineties. I can't see any reason why it shouldn't work prof, seems okay to me. CM advice would be a slight improvement.

Interesting that you should say hawkman, because I'm thinking that the strong metal shaft would be ideal for pushing on a boilie!

Prof , are you able to tie a D rig ?

I'm not sure about that..I think it might be a bit difficult for me..I'm barerly able to tie a knotless knot!.. It takes me some time to just pass the line back through the eye when tying that knot..because of my shaky hands..

That's what I like about the cut off hook set up..It's very quick and easy to push the barb through the eye..

I'll be doing some fishing in the next few days, when the wind settles down..so I'll be interested to see if  my rig works..

ed1cf7d7b8920e3d0b999145b04dc165.jpg

Edited by Prof. Nurhadi