qm1 hooks

nealjt

gallery_90554_26_628631.png

Has anyone or does anyone use these hooks? My main question is if they were made in a larger size and stronger gauge do you think they would be good? And do you think they'd cause excessive mouth damage?

Are the qm1's based on these...?

gallery_90554_26_565766.png

To my eyes these look dangerous...

That must be a screenshot Neal cos my eyesight IS awful and i cant really see very well to comment tbh .

I would think there will be a reason why they dont make them in bigger sizes though .

They bang on about specimen fish but theres specimen fish and specimen fish ...

looking at them now, seems potential for damage if its not gone through the lip

or through and back into the fish

i use em for method match for a bit of a change to carpin

just small f1`s  never had damage on fish tho

for carpin i use raptor t6 an mugga`s

I've used the qm1's which are very circular in shape but not with the point bent like the other examples, the small experience I have with qm1's was quite incredible, as Rob said is was fishing for single figure carp but the hook holds were great, no signs of movement and amazingly sharp out of the packet. I wonder if the larger versions would have a similar effect to a bent hook, however the issues with a bent hook seem to more with smaller carp due how they rattle about when hooked.

My only concern with the qm1 is whether they'd straighten out when playing a larger carp.

Ok so I think I've found my answer...

This is copied from a post in 2009 on a different forum by a chap called David Burr...

"I've used them, not quite like the one in the picture but the full-on circle hook with a similar design to the long-liners original. 

In theory they are great but in practice not so. Long-liners kill all they catch, nuff said.

I experimented on the river and had four bites hooking four fish, two chub and two barbel. The chub were easy to unhook and were none the worse but the barbel were a different story. Having thick, rubbery lips the hook set deep and was extremely difficult to extract. To remove the hook you have to turn it back through the arc that it has traveled in, but with such a thick lip there was little room to turn the hook and it took much longer than any other hook I have used. I immediately abandoned any further experiments and would NOT use them on carp"

Interesting charlieg, I can't seem to find a clear enough picture to compare the two, if this is the case I find it interesting that the write ups on guru and korda, say they are designed by different fellows.... I'm going to go to a shop and compare the qm1's and the Krank that is already out.

In my searching I've found an owner c3 hook which I like the look of, have also found a n eBay seller offering 20 of these for £1.29! To good to be true??? probably !

Charlieg I now make you my personal hook advisor!! do you work in a hook factory?!? Don't suppose you can get your hands on some daiichi 4250 salmon egg hooks? I can find American sellers but no UK based ones.

So random life thing, I am a teacher and I saw an ex student today who's brother is a consultant / tester (whatever their called) for korda, I won't say names, but she is going to see if she can blag me some krank choddys, woo hoo! it'll probably be a no go but I'll have to wait and see.

Thank you very much Neal. Unfortunately i do not work in a hook factor nor am I in the trade. That would be good if you get your hands on some choddy kranks as these are not in shops yet nor are the barbless standard kranks.