Making a hair from a palomar knot

daniel62

Hi. I am new to carp fishing but have had some success catching on the surface. I have seen in a couple of videos (Terry Hearn) that he uses a palomar knot to tie the hook and then threads the tag end back through the eye and creates a short hair (for a mixer). Could someone please explain to me step by step how exactly to do this. I can't figure out how to tie the loop on the end of the hair. I have tried for bloody hours and can't manage! I don't know anyone else who goes fishing and where I fish is on private land and I am the only person who fishes there so theres no one to ask advice from.
Thakns for any help
Daniel

hi daniel, if you thread the line thru the eye then back again and leave a tail about 4" long, complete the palomar knot and pull down to the hook. now if you pinch the 'hair'  along the shank of the hook and double it back till you have 1 1/2" loop, you should be able to put an overhand knot in and pull it down with a gated bait hook.

i have done it numerous times and can now get the hair down to a reasonable size, so practice will make perfect.

i will see if i can find a vid for you :wink:

just on a side note, if you are using this to mount a mixer on the hook, consider using bait bands, easier and more effective imho

Edited by cyborx

Cyborx I use bait bands for this and find it much easier and the mixer is held closer to the shank.

I have two sizes, one that will hold a mixer and one where I use a bait drill to make a hole and pull the smaller bait band through with a baiting needle and secure with a bit of twig. You can use boilie stops but you can lose them after a few casts. I know they don't cost much but in my eyes it's a waste.

I've tried using a hair and struggle to get it tight to the shank.

Hi Daniel of you want to try it give it a go. As Cyborx said you'll probably have to practice. If you're worried about the band slipping which I do at times you could use a hook bead I forget their name but they stop rig rings etc sliding when using pop ups to stop the band from slipping down the shank.

Although I've worried about it, it has never prevented hooking.

snapback.png

Do I win a prize for tightest forum member for not wanting to lose boilie stops?

Yes, you win one boilie stop.

Send a stamped addressed envelope and I'll send it to you :wink::P

Or ask nicely and I will send you a bundle of 2 fire extinguisher tags, which make good boilie stops.

just on a side note, if you are using this to mount a mixer on the hook, consider using bait bands, easier and more effective imho

Another way to mount the mixer is to tie a uni knot loop at the end of the hooklink line (only assuming you use a hooklink), put the bait in the loop, pull tight, and then knotless knot it tight to the hoo, then attach to mainline. As the mixer expands when wet it fits in very tightly, and is then easy enough to change when you need to change the bait.

Hi. Thanks for the replies. I do use bait bands and sometimes a knotless knot for mixers but after seeing Terry Hearns way I wanted to give the palomar with hair a go.

I think I'll stick to bait bands!

Thanks again

Daniel

Hye dude.  Grab a length of your chosen hooklength, 

Tie a tiny figure of 8 loop in the end.

Using a needle, Thread on two mixers (or whatever you are using)

Now use this to make your hooklink.

Thread on a hook

Adjust the baits till they are just touching the bend of the hook.

Tie a knotless knot

Job did.

I think that makes sense lol