Lead sizes with running rigs

sharpy86

With running leads, I don't normally worry about rig length, but do worry about hair length.

I've used 3oz leads for years, it is what I got comfortable using, having to cast a set distance and using the lead to get that far, then adding on or cutting down on PVA additions weight (how many boilies on a stringer, or how big a PVA bag/mesh to get the casting distance right, along with the reel line clip, to prevent overcasting.

I cast out, then make sure that I get as much slack as possible, and the indicators at maximum drop, the line pulling through a tube (in the water) on the take, until it eventually bangs in tight onto the line clip or baitrunner. I don't strike, just lift into the fish and start playing fish on the backwind, with a pause (not intentional), as I switch the anti reverse off and then the baitrunner clicks off as I start to wind.

About the only time I don't use running leads is when physical conditions are so strong that I can't, undertow and the like. Even with running leads and the line as low to the lakebed as possible, you can avoid most drifting weed.

im a running rig user for nearly 99%,occasionally switching to heli set ups if i need more distance. fluoro, line clips,heavy bobbins all help to drive the hook in further but thats all IMO, it just further, i think the force the carp blows the rig out is where the 'hold ' takes place...no matter what lead set you use this always happen before the lead comes in to play....take the chod...slack line,sliding freely between, say 3foot gap on top/bottom bead, if the ejecting of the rig didnt set the hook then how did chod become such a great popular rig on all kinds of different waters??? surely the trickier waters were the carp sit there testing baits youd never get a full blown screaming run on the chod....so i conclude...its the ejection of the hook that plays a more important role that any lead.size or shape.

which now leaves the most important bit, the hair, where this leaves the hook and the length will change the way the hook is ejected, bait shape/size  means the hair length would need to suit.

iv said it before, the KD imo worked ,not because of a turn under the hair but because the knotless was only a few turns,making the ejected bait pull at the eye, if you did a knotless knot up all the way up too or past the bend, on ejection i think it would lift the point clear of any potential hookings

so yeah sharpy...sort ya hair out!!

Hi I was told this when I asked my local tackle shop owner is my lead I,m using to light.

When fishing a running rig in conjunction with a light lead ,as the fish moves off there is little or no resistance,so by the time the carp realises something is wrong the hook bait is well back in its mouth,and it's to late for the fish to eject it.

Cheers Nick,

So what's your view on my hair length?

It does look pretty long to be fair, but like I said, I changed as I was getting too many hook pulls. 

It is the hookpulls  that to me makes me think the hair was too short, so lengthening it you have gotten them to take a bit more confidently. Again, on the extreme edge of the mouth, I would possibly add a little bit more length until hooks were firmly embedded centre of bottom lip.

The other way possibly to get better hookholds could actually be to feed a bit more, so the fish are feeding a bit more confidently as well.

I have always considered in my mind that confident feeding fish don't necessarily inspect, or suck and blow hookbaits as much as those that are not feeding comfortably, so increasing your groundbait (particles groundbait or whatever background feed), may lead them to be more confident. If they really do start feeding comfortably though, and get pre-occupied, then shortening the hair may be the answer. 

I know, blooming circles again! :roll:  :lol:

Beanz makes a fair point in hook and hair position, and I think I have mentioned it in the past? Remember the pic:

HairAttachment.jpg

Where the hair leaves the hook; From thejust below the eye as KD, then the hook may well be going in point downwards, and as it is blown out, then automatically hooks the lip. From the eye itself, may be going in backwards, and be blown out, and from the bend of the hook, can be blown out backwards, so the point is still facing the throat, no chance of a hookhold. So my preference has been for the hair to leave the shank of the hook, opposite the barb/point of the hook.