The Humble Bead

blanksalot

Just though i'd share this, apologies if it's been done before.

Tying some leaders today for a forthcoming trip, using a size 8 kwik link spliced onto leadcore, ( not tight up though, left a couple of mil gap to allow movement )

As i wanted running rigs not fixed i simply slid a bead down near the link  stopping the leadclip or inline lead engaging the link.

This humble bead now gives you four options using the same leader.

Fixed or running inline, fixed or running leadclip.

DSCF1286_zps785be977.jpg

I have a feeling a can of worms may open here...

But personal feelings....

Personally, I don't see the point in using a running rig with leadcore....or with an inline lead. It just doesn't move resistance free like a running rig is supposed to. It kind if just leaves you with a 'sort of running rig' with no real benefit.

Not to mention if you get the smallest kink in the 'core, or bit of lead poke out, you hae yourself a death rig.

Same goes with using a lead clip without the clip firmly fixed to an end swivel, the lead will never eject if the clip is not fixed, and if the lead can't eject, why are you using the clip in the first place?

I like your idea of having a rig that can quickly be changed to a different style, but you have massively lost all the posative mechanics of all the rigs involved in return for a minor convenience.

TLDR: If you want a running rig, use a running rig, if you want a semi-fixed rig, use a semi fixed rig.

I have a feeling a can of worms may open here...

But personal feelings....

Personally, I don't see the point in using a running rig with leadcore....or with an inline lead. It just doesn't move resistance free like a running rig is supposed to. It kind if just leaves you with a 'sort of running rig' with no real benefit.

Not to mention if you get the smallest kink in the 'core, or bit of lead poke out, you hae yourself a death rig.

Same goes with using a lead clip without the clip firmly fixed to an end swivel, the lead will never eject if the clip is not fixed, and if the lead can't eject, why are you using the clip in the first place?

I like your idea of having a rig that can quickly be changed to a different style, but you have massively lost all the posative mechanics of all the rigs involved in return for a minor convenience.

TLDR: If you want a running rig, use a running rig, if you want a semi-fixed rig, use a semi fixed rig.

Thats why i like the lead clips made by solar and fox . Semi fixed lead set up until you remove a tiny peg and it becomes a totally free running lead . And vice versa of course .

Dont like lead clips , never have since i saw a video of a carp using the lead to throw the hook , and always always use a free running pendant lead set up .

But , occaisonally i use one of the above mentioned clips ...just in case lol.

Quite like the look of the running inline set up that joe morgan has on you tube . Bite indication appears to be great but im not so sure how it would act on the lakebed though which is why i am wary of using it.

Blanks , always nice to come up with something like you have there but is milky right ?

Yeah i think your probably right , you cant beat a true pendant running lead , large bore run ring , on naked mainline too . Always registers whatever direction the fish decides to go .

Yet another example of what probably sacrifices 25-30% indication for the sake of convenience .

Every option has its time and place though no doubt.

Its just a case of knowing it

Ok thanks for the input, i'd better explain my thinking before the pitchfork and flaming torch brigade arrive at my door  :mrgreen:

The leadcore i normally use is 20lb, the stuff in the pics is 45lb which i rarely use.

Firstly the inline, i use this a lot in my solid bag fishing, running lead (with or without the insert removed) on 1ft lengths of leadcore, works very well for me,

Secondly the leadclip, i wasn't looking to drop the lead, my thinking was if i cast into a softer area and it plugged any , then hopefully the rest of the rig would remain flat ish and not be hooped up from the bottom.

Amazingly out of my vast array of tackle bits i have no large run rings !! but just ordered some  :P

All part of the learning curve how ever old we are  :wink:

Atb jay

Obvious i know , but we all have to be aware of what happens when any sort of running lead set up is plugged in silt .

I imagine more so with inlines .

Then again it might be different with a longer hooklength in a solid pva bag .

And with leadcore and pendant or inline set-ups, it only takes a tiny kink and the fish could now be trailing a death rig. If you have to use leadcore, then only ever with a helicopter set-up, but my advice, is ditch the leadcore totally.

I know about inline running leads, and yes, they can work, but are they working as we think they are?

I came to the conclusion, if I want a running lead, use a run ring. If I want to fish in weed with an inline, then use a straight semi-fixed inline

Ok thanks for the input, i'd better explain my thinking before the pitchfork and flaming torch brigade arrive at my door  :mrgreen:

The leadcore i normally use is 20lb, the stuff in the pics is 45lb which i rarely use.

Firstly the inline, i use this a lot in my solid bag fishing, running lead (with or without the insert removed) on 1ft lengths of leadcore, works very well for me,

Secondly the leadclip, i wasn't looking to drop the lead, my thinking was if i cast into a softer area and it plugged any , then hopefully the rest of the rig would remain flat ish and not be hooped up from the bottom.

Amazingly out of my vast array of tackle bits i have no large run rings !! but just ordered some  :P

All part of the learning curve how ever old we are  :wink:

Atb jay

I don't use runing rigs that often but when I do, and I am fishing in silt or a soft area as you put it, I will use this simple arangement (sorry for the tattyness. It was just a quick sketch as its better than me trying to explain it in words):

runrig_zpsde43cd4a.jpg

I don't use runing rigs that often but when I do, and I am fishing in silt or a soft area as you put it, I will use this simple arangement (sorry for the tattyness. It was just a quick sketch as its better than me trying to explain it in words):

runrig_zpsde43cd4a.jpg

You mean something like this?

SilkweedRig.jpg

Can be fished without the stop knot above the bead, although the version above is one Derek Ritchie used on a weedy water, but it will work equally as well on silt (and in some cases better than a Silt/chod set-up.

I would also play around with the hooklink and lead link lengths to get it right for you

You mean something like this?

SilkweedRig.jpg

Can be fished without the stop knot above the bead, although the version above is one Derek Ritchie used on a weedy water, but it will work equally as well on silt (and in some cases better than a Silt/chod set-up.

I would also play around with the hooklink and lead link lengths to get it right for you

Yes mate, very similar. I like to use a stiff filament though as I found it tangles less especially if used with an anti-tangle sleeve on the hooklink. Also, the large ring, used so the mainline can travel through with as little resistance as possible, sometimes had the tendency to 'spin' leaving the mainline sort or trapped. It's not that much of a problem but makes it act as a fixed lead (not what I was after with the setup). To combat this, a short length of tubing on the mainline, blobbed into the bead to stop it slipping, works wonders!

I showed this to Mick the other week at Horseshoe. It's how I set up my marker float but incorporate a foot of leadcore (lead removed) to get over that spinning of the ring.

Yes mate, very similar. I like to use a stiff filament though as I found it tangles less especially if used with an anti-tangle sleeve on the hooklink. Also, the large ring, used so the mainline can travel through with as little resistance as possible, sometimes had the tendency to 'spin' leaving the mainline sort or trapped. It's not that much of a problem but makes it act as a fixed lead (not what I was after with the setup). To combat this, a short length of tubing on the mainline, blobbed into the bead to stop it slipping, works wonders!

I showed this to Mick the other week at Horseshoe. It's how I set up my marker float but incorporate a foot of leadcore (lead removed) to get over that spinning of the ring.

I actually have a use for leadcore with this type of set-up, it is the lead link. :wink:  I also use a standard run ring, in fact

Useforleadcore.jpg

The leadcore can be spliced on, but I decided that for this length I would whip and brace (what is the correct name?) and then lighter tag the ends so they won't pull through the whipping. The run ring on this means that should it get snagged it will pull free, and the fish will not be trailing any nasties other than the rig.