Recommendations on stove

• 3 months later...

Hi guys.

I'm looking for your thoughts on either the trakker or advanta power stove(angling direct).

They're made by a Chinese company called Fire Maple and are a re-branded FMS-100T. They can also be known as the King Kong. These guys also make the trakker and fox kettles and some of their pots and pans. You can't get their stuff in the UK without shipping from China or HK.

I've seen one in a shop and it had a loose pan support is this normal or should they all be rigid once the feet are extended?

I went for the Angling Direct power stove. Exactly the same as the Trakker but £10 cheaper, plus it comes with a hard case instead of a drawstring bag.

• 9 months later...
  • 6 months later...

After a few more years abuse, the plastic o-rings on the valve of my Webtex Warrior eventually perished, and a quick whip round with a short length of PTFE tape was only going to be a temporary solution, so I raided the TFH stuff from work.

The new toy is a TFG Thermolite stove, again a Gas job, with piezo ignition.

The hose going under and along the base actually pre-warms the gas into the burner, so it does get a very good heat.

It packs away tidily into its own flat bag.

Time to set up is just screw the canister onto the hose, open legs and done.

Having used that advanta power stove for a few overnighters, the Mrs using it for camping etc. I have to say I'm really impressed. This little stove is really quick and has a built in 'windshield'. The windshield is basically a conical piece of metal around the flame and the gas tube runs round the inside to preheat the gas.

It's actually a fire maple stove as listed on the bay.

• 2 weeks later...

If you also into survival and dumping yourself in the wilderness for a week here and there with nothing except a first aid kit and a knife, then a jetboil is a welcome addition, however jsut for fishing I would say that anything from a local hardware store would suffice, and they're usually not to badly priced, either. One thing I use when im on the river fishing for trout and salmon, is the ration pack heat packs (I acutally made my own 'microwave' thing for cooking meals I had prepared using the ration pack heaters, squeezing as much of the heat out of them as possible. It wasnt even that expensive to make. The reason I went down this route is fires are an outright no-no on my local river, and from speaking to one of the baliffs I'm friendly with down here, we both decided it was a grey area, and I dont fancy upsetting other anglers or seemingly bending the rules. However now that im fishing on lakes and such for course+carp, fires/stove are allowed on the bank generally speaking so I've been looking at getting a standard single-stove gas cooker with the 'deodorant style' butane canisters, its all cheap enough and you dont mind if it gets wet here and there, and with the cost of jetboils, running the risk of water damage + rust is a genuine concern given the price. In my opinion, I think getting the cheap stoves are best suited for fishing on the lakeside as you can easily buy 10 stoves for the price of a single jetboil. Ration pack heaters are also a good options, and are very light to carry, as well as ration packs themselves, or even creating your own ration packs.

Like I said though, if you are going to use is it for other things, like boiling water for drinking and going on expeditions, then a jetboil is a great buy, I wouldnt get one just for fishing alone though.

X

Edited by xpl0rer

Sorry for double post. Also if anyone is interested in my home made microwave thingy then I dont mind posting up here on request, and showing how it works. Another plus-side of using ration pack heaters are they have no light pollution, which in some cases (IE. night fishing for sewin) should be kept to zero at all times.

X

Edited by xpl0rer

With gas stoves, at this time of year its all down to the gas mix how the stove performs. Not all canisters are equal.

Please excuse me if I've already said this or its covered elsewhere, but it'll probably help people going out over the next couple of months.

The best fuel for low temperature is propane. It's boiling temperature at normal pressure is about is -42°c. The problem for portable stoves canisters is that propane is at too high a pressure because of the low boiling point.

N-butane has a boiling point of between -1°c and +1°c. Close to this temperature you wont get any gas released from a canister.

Iso-butane has a boiling temperature of about -12°c.

I'm going to exclude campingaz as that is only n-butane and is only suitable for spring to autumn usage.

Most canisters are blended from propane and n-butane. In cold temps like tonight (-1°c where I live), none of the butane will boil, so only the propane. From what I've seen online, this is usually no more 20%of the content. On a cold morning, you could easily find a canister that has plenty of gas in it, but won't fuel your stove because it's too cold and you've used all the propane.

The ideal mix for winter in the UK is propane/iso-butane. There are only 2 makes that seem to guarantee this mix that I am aware of. These are MSR and Jetboil, bot at 20 propane/80 iso-butane. I've only been able to find Jetboil fuel in the UK. It will connect to a standard stove fitting and should power it even when it's well below freezing.

Great for a cuppa on those literally freezing cold mornings. [emoji3] Just because it's below freezing doesn't mean you need to resort to petrol etc.

• 4 months later...

I was giving a jetboil by my Mrs.

its expensive and I know I would have never spent that much on one, but now had it 3+ years and it's been brilliant.

I keep it with me at work and it boils water quickly so makes it handy when you are on the road for a quick break.

neat packing up system helps keep it all together and saves space. Was worried that the coating on the container would wear but it has not yet.

Their own canisters seem to last longer too compared to some of the rival makes (might just be me worrying about paying more).

Only problem I had was the starter broke, I caught it when packing it up, jetboil were amazing and sent me two replacements elements  free!

i am just trying to justify the cost of the frying pan they do for it 😉

On 04/12/2016 at 16:35, dayvid said:

A stove that seems very popular is the ""Bulin T4""  , never used one , but have not read a bad word about them.

Been looking at this, looks alot like my fire maple. You guys seen the adapter you can buy? £4 and you can use the bottle type gas cannisters for camping. Shops sell em for £5 for 4

I have like 20 stoves. All from wintercaping in the mountains to carp fishing. I have a couple og fire maple stoves and they are good stoves. But if you are going to use your fryingpan look at the BRS 53. This is a good value for money and great to make meals that isnt freesedried meals 😊

Edited by fiskekongen

• 5 months later...
  • 7 months later...