Bivvy problem

Hi guys I recently bought a jrc defender bivvy off gumtree and tried to put it up today but cant figure it out. Its got 3 sets of poles which go side to side [think they call it pram effect] and they go together ok but theres a sleeve which runs front to back on centre of the bivvy but no poles. Are these poles missing or is the sleeve for something else?

If its the same as the sti's then there should be an elasticated fold-up pole which threads thru it from the back to the front just above the door . It keeps the bivvy up mate .

Thanks for the reply and yes that's what I thought. All the other poles are like you said, elasticated fold up poles.

Is there anywhere I can buy a replacement?

Well you have a similar problem to the one i'm having at the moment in that the defender range has been discontinued and i dont know whether the (new) contact range of bivvies has the same set up ie the middle pole that you are missing. Google the latest jrc bivvy range and take a gander mate .

If they dont use the same part then there IS another way ...

it sounds like your missing the tension bars/pole. they are handy but not necessary. they are extras on some makes of bivvy. i had a pram hood that didnt have them and never found i needed them,even with the doors folded back. though saying that when facing a strong wind i had to make sure the front pegs were well in or it will fold back down around you :shock::lol:

If they dont use the same part then there IS another way ...

Now you've got me intrigued, what other way?

I have sent jrc spare parts an email so hopefully they will reply tomorrow and let me know if any spares are available.

Buy a set of 3 Chub telescopic bivvy braces and use them instead of the elasticated pole thingy.

In fact, the latest Sti's have them as standard, now, so you could use those I guess.

My STi is older and I used to have the elasticated bit which was a nightmare to deploy. Now, all is sweetness and light. Oh, and the bivvy is far more rigid when assembled.

Ian

Ok , now , chub used to sell a set of 3 bivvy brace bars which do exactly the same job only they are a lot more solid .

Trouble is THEY are now discontinued as well BUT i recently picked up a set on fleabay for a bit over the odds so they are still about .

I heard that trakker do something similar but i'm not sure and taking a look at the jrc contact bivvy , that middle pole looks similar to the chub bars so maybe jrc do them now for their own bivvies ?

Either way the geezer who flogged you that defender has had you over because the bivvy is useless without that middle pole and he would have known that too .

On a more cheerful note , your better off getting the metal brace bars anyway cos the pole supplied with your bivvy is more trouble than its worth mate , a real pain to thread through !

I was told about the chub bars by ian (welder) who posts on here .

Eventually he will be along to give you his tuppence worth but he's at the social at the mo so probably as drunk as a sack

Frogy, if I can find it you're welcome to my original, nasty elasticated pole thingy for free, mate.

You'll be better off with the Chub items though, trust me. :wink:

Ian

Thanks Ian, if you do find it I would be very grateful for it so let me know please, it will get me going till I can get some chub bars sorted out.

Thank you :D

I know you wasnt to know but i still cant believe that geezer flogged on the bivvy without the central tension thingy ?

Hope the price you paid for it reflected it

As im sure you've realised im only a beginner to carping [although been coarse and sea fishing for 35yrs] and have never had a bivvy before so didn't really know what I was looking at when he showed me. I paid £30 for it including I think its called the over wrap [its like another cover which goes over the bivvy].

Frogy, you'd probably be better off accepting Tim's (Newmarket) offer of his flexy-stick thingy as I've no idea where I chucked mine and if you could see the inside of my garage (read skip) you'd fully understand why it would take some time to find it! By the way, despite lacking the bit we're discussing, you've done very well indeed on price!

I'll have a look tomorrow, honest. Oh, and I'm pretty sure that Tim's nearer to you. I'm in North Warwickshire, near Brum.

Ian

Frogy, you'd probably be better off accepting Tim's (Newmarket) offer of his flexy-stick thingy as I've no idea where I chucked mine and if you could see the inside of my garage (read skip) you'd fully understand why it would take some time to find it! By the way, despite lacking the bit we're discussing, you've done very well indeed on price!

I'll have a look tomorrow, honest. Oh, and I'm pretty sure that Tim's nearer to you. I'm in North Warwickshire, near Brum.

Ian

Just to let you know Tim has contacted me and he is going to post the stick to me so hopefully sorted now till I can get some chubb bars. Just wanted to say a big thank you to you both for all your help and advice.

Ian

Just to let you know Tim has contacted me and he is going to post the stick to me so hopefully sorted now till I can get some chubb bars. Just wanted to say a big thank you to you both for all your help and advice.

Simon, I should have had a look on here before rummaging in the garage! I can't find mine so it's just as well that Tim is sorting you out.

It's good to see that the forum is maintaining it's reputation for being a friendly place. Tim, you're a star!

Ian

Ian

Simon, I should have had a look on here before rummaging in the garage! I can't find mine so it's just as well that Tim is sorting you out.

It's good to see that the forum is maintaining it's reputation for being a friendly place. Tim, you're a star!

Ian

The forum was allways a really helpfull place and most of my kit is from recommendations from members on here ..... Just a shame it ended up going T--S up because a stupid ego ..... I await the day that it returns to its former glory ..... Hope your keeping well Ian :)