hook size?

nathanhuynh

Hi all,

I have always been using fairly small, sharp hooks. I like to test my rigs in a tank and set the size of hook to the bait. I use pop-ups and look at my rig from above and set the hook so that if you look at it from above the bait totaly covers the hook. Is this right? I use 10mm betalin popz with a size 10 hook which I give a sharpness polish with a point doctor. When I use botom baits I use the same test.

thankyou

You're right for a starting point, the hook size should match the bait.

There are other factors though: the length of hair / hook link, how big the fishes mouths are and weed for starters.

Perhaps a better way of thinking is that the hook size should be big enough to hook the fish taking into account how it will achieve that in relation the the bait used. If the hook needs to pull through the bait the wire diameter needs taking into account and so on.

The old adage still applies: If the fish are there and feeding and you are not catching, you're doing something wrong. So change something be it hook length, hair length, bait size, hook size etc..

I don't agree. Most of my fishing is with size 4s, regardless of bait.

same as. I want a big bit of metal to nail'em, regardless the size of hookbait. Size 4's & 5's my favourites. Infact done 1 season using size 2's. They didnt get away;-)

same as. I want a big bit of metal to nail'em, regardless the size of hookbait. Size 4's & 5's my favourites. Infact done 1 season using size 2's. They didnt get away;-)

did your catch and run rate improve when you changed to bigger hooks?

mufty

Yep each to their own. Am I safe in saying that you would generally use large baits (18mm+)?

Bait size is a starting point; using a hook that is bigger or smaller than the bait then becomes choice or method.

The other problem is that there is a big difference between the physical size of manufacturers hooks and the stated size, even within their own ranges.

The other problem is that there is a big difference between the physical size of manufacturers hooks and the stated size, even within their own ranges.

Yea why is that? I have some nash hooks, and some ESPs, and I've noticed that the same hook size just with a different version of the same pattern and there are no similarities in size at all! I find it better simply to go by visual rather than the size on the label.

Is there any universal standard by which hooks are sized on? Or is it just made up by each tackle manufacturer?