Hooking

garysj01

Hi chaps

Im currently testing out two variations of a rig at the moment,

One where the hook is tied on KD style, the theory is the bait can be blown out leaving the hook to take hole in the fishes mouth.

One where the hair comes off right round the bend of the hook, the theory is the bait makes the point heavy, bringing the hook down into the fishes mouth again.

As i have caught hundreds of fish on both i just wanted to see which one of the two had the better hooking ratio.

So my question is, what do you tie and why do you think it works?

They suck it in they blow it out and occasionally i get lucky. I think you can see my thinking on rigs from that statement. Plenty of separation on bottom bait rigs with quite a long hair for me and chops or barrels as hook baits. Next to no separation on pop up rigs now both seem to work for me in my simple little uncomplicated rig world. :lol:

I described an idea for a rig here in July.

I have since been testing it. I was disappointed to miss the very first run I had using this method. Since then I have had a further 5 runs, all resulting in good fish. It is outfishing any other rig I use except when I use giant maize (for which this rig is not really suited)

They suck it in they blow it out and occasionally i get lucky. I think you can see my thinking on rigs from that statement. Plenty of separation on bottom bait rigs with quite a long hair for me and chops or barrels as hook baits. Next to no separation on pop up rigs now both seem to work for me in my simple little uncomplicated rig world. :lol:

My only difference from Jez is that I often use a rig ring on the shank of the hook. It is not necessarily there for the sliding or blowback properties that it may offer, but for the simple reason that I can adjust the hair length to suit my fishing. I can attach a longer or shorter hair to the ring to suit the fishing.

I prefer to use a snowman presentation, it makes it more difficult in my mind to eject a "strange" shaped bait.

Rigs often fail the "palm test", yet would pass the "thumb test", but whether they fail both or not, getting the feeding situation right will mean that your hookbait is taken in more often. Then if you have got the hair length right you may hopefully get a decent hook-up and land the fish.

It is down, in my eyes, because people don't feed the situation correctly, that rigs become failures on many waters.