chods , fixed or running?

carperdude3d

Not on it yet. Went for a quick night a few weeks ago on bm. It grabbed me straight away, just like it did when I was 12!

I think I'm not far away with what I'm doing - I'm fusing away from the glory spots and doing it my way on there. Time will tell if I am right or wrong but I know I'll enjoy trying. Need to get hold of a gurt big pan for boiling the amount of bait I'm getting through though! Lol

Heli rigs for me are a no no when snag fishing for me i only use free running rigs if i do find myself in that situation. I still think tight lines are a no no on chods and i'm happy with my results on them (11 fish last weekend).

Beanz, i see what you are saying about the weak link but i still feel the short hooklink will travel up and off the mainline ok. I also am fishing a snag free water at the moment and i feel i would be most unlucky to suffer a crack off infact i cant remember the last one. I dont use LC so i dont need to worry about that getting tangled of cauught up on snags etc. I can see your point though and if my water changed my rigs would also change to suit.

its a case of what we get used to I think mate....not that I dont like change...just a confidence thing...but I do use stiff rig tubing in the mix too...as stiff as boom tubing :wink:

Not on it yet. Went for a quick night a few weeks ago on bm. It grabbed me straight away, just like it did when I was 12!

I think I'm not far away with what I'm doing - I'm fusing away from the glory spots and doing it my way on there. Time will tell if I am right or wrong but I know I'll enjoy trying. Need to get hold of a gurt big pan for boiling the amount of bait I'm getting through though! Lol

might be able to help there mate..along with a tar boiling ring to blast it :wink:

might be able to help there mate..along with a tar boiling ring to blast it :wink:

My brother in law owns a hire company, got him on the lookout for an unwanted one!

In the meantime though, I might take you up on the offer after August. After next week I'll be off the lake for over a month whilst getting married and sail fishing in Mexico whilst on honeymoon!

Fish the lead on a 12" weak link

i worry though that if i crack off or get cut off, that the weak link will go before the hook link leaves the leader....if thats LC i dont see how(without the leads weight) it can get dumped.... i fear it may make it half way, but then would the two ends twist around and never get free??? scary thought :idea:

I dont use a leader or leadcore though. But if you are using a chod and you get cut off/crackoff surely you are set up that the hooklink just pulls off over the leader.

yep thats my point and why i dont think rotten bottom/weak link leads on heli and leader set ups are safe.

It's the only safe way to fish a chod otherwise the lead can never be ejected. I have a swivel below the bottom bead on my lead core then a 10 inch say of 5lb mono tied to the lead so it can snap off in weed ect. Then the hook link slides down to the bottOm bead which is held on by the swivel.

i worry though that if i crack off or get cut off, that the weak link will go before the hook link leaves the leader....if thats LC i dont see how(without the leads weight) it can get dumped.... i fear it may make it half way, but then would the two ends twist around and never get free??? scary thought :idea:

I dont use a leader or leadcore though. But if you are using a chod and you get cut off/crackoff surely you are set up that the hooklink just pulls off over the leader.

yep thats my point and why i dont think rotten bottom/weak link leads on heli and leader set ups are safe.

It's the only safe way to fish a chod otherwise the lead can never be ejected. I have a swivel below the bottom bead on my lead core then a 10 inch say of 5lb mono tied to the lead so it can snap off in weed ect. Then the hook link slides down to the bottOm bead which is held on by the swivel.

What beanz is try to get across though, I think, is that the lead helps the fish get rid of the mainline by giving an anchor spot to pull away from after a crack off of line breaking above the rig.

It's the only safe way to fish a chod otherwise the lead can never be ejected..

SAFE?? you mean ANGLER safe,as in the angler has less chance of losing the fish while PLAYING it........not FISH safe.....which is a totally different thing,but that is only on a LEADER, the weak link is the better way if main line is fished straight through( if you need to lose the lead)

lost rigs are live until the bait goes....if thats a fake/plastic then its live until a fish takes it.......pop ups??? i dont know their breakdown times but i think of them as bad a plastics.

FIshing a weak link on the end of a leader or your mainline is goin to increase the safety for the fish you could use a light mono and the lead will free if snagged. Also having a swivel then the weak Link the lead is wacking across the gill plates of the carp when playing the fish the lead will swing underneath.

FIshing a weak link on the end of a leader or your mainline is goin to increase the safety for the fish you could use a light mono and the lead will free if snagged. Also having a swivel then the weak Link the lead is wacking across the gill plates of the carp when playing the fish the lead will swing underneath.

i dont follow you???

may be someone that HASN'T had a brain tumor removed by a surgeon that just got back from a holiday in Dublin can understand........but i dont.

some thing to think about......a lead tied on to the mainline then hooklink tied to the lead, fixed lead.( death rig :wink: ) would be fine while its still connected to the rod....its when its NOT connected and left live in the water that it kills :roll:

I don't think that fishing a weak link will increase the safety for fish!

It will mean that should the lead be ejected, the rig is not "pulled off" the leader or mainline, and the fish will be trailing 2 lengths of line attached to the rig, with the rig in the middle, until one end is snagged up and pulls the hooklink free of the other.

Strangely enough the comment about a lead whacking across the carp's head is pertinent though, and another reason for me not using helicopter set-ups unless I absolutely have to, which is usually long distance, and not as a Chod set-up. At range fishing the lead is going to be in front of the fish; the fish will be coming towards you or scrapping side to side, so the lead is not whacking the fish. However when the fish is going away from you in the fight it is possibly going to cause damage.

i dont follow you???

may be someone that HASN'T had a brain tumor removed by a surgeon that just got back from a holiday in Dublin can understand........but i dont.

some thing to think about......a lead tied on to the mainline then hooklink tied to the lead, fixed lead.( death rig :wink: ) would be fine while its still connected to the rod....its when its NOT connected and left live in the water that it kills :roll:

Your not following me right I mean a swivel tied to the end of the mainline then a weaker mono link tied to that swivel then the lead tied to the weaker mono. The hook link is still running on the mainline so no need for starky comments lol

i dont follow you???

Your not following me right I mean a swivel tied to the end of the mainline then a weaker mono link tied to that swivel then the lead tied to the weaker mono. The hook link is still running on the mainline so no need for starky comments lol

I would almost be hoping for the lead to snag if I cracked off or had my mainline part, if I were fishing a chod rig. That way, the rig would slide much easier off of the mainline leaving the fish free of trailing anything other than a 2-3 inch rig.

i dont follow you???

I got what you meant, hence my reply. I know you were aiming your comments at Beanz, but I think he has the same misgivings as I do

If the hooklink is running on the mainline, and a swivel at the bottom, there is not enough weight to pull the rig free off the top end of the line.

If the hooklink is in the "middle" of that broken, cracked off line, how does it pull free? It would take one end snagging up for the rig to be able to be ejected, yet if the line has twisted around itself then that may not be able to happen.

It amazes me how little effort it takes for line to knot around itself, an almost untieable knot with loops hanging around it, yet those loops may also be enough to trap the line on a snag. That means the fish is now not only trailing the line, but is potentially tethered. Yet if the lead was attached, then the rig would previously have been pulled free as the lead dragged behind.

i dont follow you???

I got what you meant, hence my reply. I know you were aiming your comments at Beanz, but I think he has the same misgivings as I do

If the hooklink is running on the mainline, and a swivel at the bottom, there is not enough weight to pull the rig free off the top end of the line.

If the hooklink is in the "middle" of that broken, cracked off line, how does it pull free? It would take one end snagging up for the rig to be able to be ejected, yet if the line has twisted around itself then that may not be able to happen.

It amazes me how little effort it takes for line to knot around itself, an almost untieable knot with loops hanging around it, yet those loops may also be enough to trap the line on a snag. That means the fish is now not only trailing the line, but is potentially tethered. Yet if the lead was attached, then the rig would previously have been pulled free as the lead dragged behind.

I know what your saying and yes I also believe that would happen that's why I posted about using ova tape above the hook link rather than a bead that's how I set it up on leadcore

i dont follow you???

my death rig comment is just what i said...something to think about, it doesnt relate to your posts.

this phrase you used...".It's the only safe way to fish a chod otherwise the lead can never be ejected.."

would you care to enlighten me and others as to why you think that???

as i believe , to be as close to safe as can possibly be , the inclusion that the rig may crack off has to to be taken into account.

iv only read/heard lead sellers preach the "dump the lead" line and BAH! from the followers.................

:D thats me being sarky 8)