Rig Mechanics

garysj01

Hi all

How many of us think we are getting takes as the rig is being sucked in or being blown back out?

Is this any use?

https://forum.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=39298&highlight=rig+mechanics

I think the only change I have affected in my fishing since then has been my change to an inturned pattern for pop-ups, like Kamasan B175's.

The rig I worked out then, is still pretty much my standard rig on that water, and its still catching

Here's a rig i used to use a few years ago, it emulated a running rig as well as a semi fixed bolt rig.

The hooklink was 10 inches long, tied in the normal knotless knot style with a loop at the end.

Which was then pulled through a uni link swivel, and the loop was pulled over the hook.

I used to pull the loop end near to the hook and then tie on two small bits of pva tape or string, shortening the hooklink by half.

combi0021.jpg

The idea was the pva would melt in the water leaving the hooklink to travel up its own length on a take (emulating a running rig) and then jolt in the hook when the hooklink was straightened out.

combi0011.jpg

The lead was usually a semi fixed heavy inline lead, great for pva bag work.

It used to work a treat but now i much prefer the early indication of a full blown running rig set up, plus im using pva sticks now.

Funny you should mention the kamasan b175's i was only thinking what they were called last night, correct me if im wrong but weren't they based on a salmon hook,

Fly fishing hook, for trout I think, probably not strong enough for Salmon Fishing in smaller sizes

a good 99% of the hooks used in carping are based on salmon or trout hooks....Have mentioned before about using long shank salmon hooks in the 80s for the bent hook rig....and to this day I still use Tiemco shrimp hooks for surface work :wink:

as well as for my fly fishing obviously :lol::wink:

a good 99% of the hooks used in carping are based on salmon or trout hooks....Have mentioned before about using long shank salmon hooks in the 80s for the bent hook rig....and to this day I still use Tiemco shrimp hooks for surface work :wink:

as well as for my fly fishing obviously :lol::wink:

Have you tried for carp on the fly fella?

In a few backwaters on the Zezere in Portugal I have mate..had a couple but nothing of any size...as yet...I actually prefer fly fishing to carping thesedays..have done for a year or two now...a more mobile hunting approach satisfies me more :wink:

Yeah casting was a bit tricky at first especially in tight area's with tree's behind you but satifying all the same when you get the fly to quietly roll on the surface :)

Tried twice for carp and caught, and for pike (pike are good fun)

got a fair few rainbows and blue trout in my pool....not spent much time scanning for them but fairly certain there will be some little brookies in there too....never tried for pike on the fly....prefer my lure fishing for them....but maybe a summer pike on the fly would hit the spot :lol: ...I think the best one was watching a programme with that Aussie Rex Hunt taking a sizeable lemon shark on the fly...brilliant

Stripeys have never really taken my fancy....not yet at least....this winter in portugal it will be a major go at the barbel along with the carp obviously....really keen on getting into some heavy bream fishing at the min though....next year for certain...and early tincas too :wink:

Where you from travis?

I started out fly fishing small streams, sight fishing really, love it, still ride my push bike 12 miles to fish the first stream i started fishing for trout on.

Im in cheshire....I love small stream fishing...I do a little on the upper areas of the Tern and upper weaver too, plenty of little brookies and the occasional surprise.

Del