A quick question

henrycarp123

Put it all in a pva bag and partly inflate the bag, you,ll need to test it out but it will get the rig out there and then drop gently onto the silt. If thats what your looking for, as for a rig on its own a helicopter rig might be the answer with the swivel moving up the mainline.

Guest keenook
hahah thats exactly what ive been trying to do and nothing so i need a new approach i think thanks

Keep at it, the hard bottomed areas can be really small but when you find them!

Have you considered filling a bubble float or similar with water for casting weight which on splashdown becomes almost nuetral (check it out in the margins you will be suprised) a great presentation and should also become part of your stalking armoury because it sits on weed a treat.

But as was said earlier be really sure you have 4 ft of silt all over before you try to get over a problem you may not really have.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

P.S great presentation for deadbaits over weed in gravel pits (trust me on this one) :D

look for "boils" on the surface...and stirred up sediment....this is a good starter to look for a hard spot...but also...dont be afraid to fish into the silt...they will actively feed upto the back of the gill plate in silt....I fish meres etc that are devoid of hard spots and still catch.....basically...have a play around and lead about a bit :wink:

Guest keenook

Fished an old estate lake in Sussex years ago for a week, three of us, one friend had three or four fish, the other maybe five, I had twenty seven, and lost three! Do the lead work! :wink:

How do you know the silt is 4' deep? I would spend a lot of time casting a 4oz lead, find hard patches and BINGO you will catch!

If you want to find the actual depth of the silt, try tying a length of wool up your line from your lead towards your marker float. It may sit at a slight angle in the water, but the wool will take on the silt colour if it sinks into it.

BINGO, rough idea of actual silt depth. :wink:

1 or 1.5oz lead should be able to get out to 50metres or so. I believe Moorsey uses 1.5oz at close on 100metres if he needs to fish that far out and casts it out.

Fishing longer hooklinks will be a start. I remember reading a piece from Jim Shelley where he said for years he fished extra long braided hooklinks into deep weed and silt and his catch rates were excellent.

A helicopter set up is an excellent way to present your bait in silt. After all, it was originally called the silt rig. I think using a lighter bait would help you, fishing a slow sinking hookbait or pop-up will help you masssively. Simplest way of doing this is to fish a snowman rig.

Cheers,

Will

an ounce and a half sqaure pair lead, set up on a helicopter rig with a long soft rig, and a pva mesh bag threaded onto it like a stick mix and a couple of pva foam nuggets, that should help it to sit up and settle on the silt, also use a thick oil (even a supermarket bought nut oil would suffice) and dip the bag and rig into it that will also lighten it up and create a nice slick around the area when fish come in mooching