Crow green fishery brentwood

Cripes,I wish I still lived at Doddinghurst :(

The lake should yield a 90lbs cat and a 50lbs sturgeon there is also a 34+lb carp in the match lake in 2012.

By the end of 2013 the cats will be over 100 lbs mark and sturgeon 60lbs.

There in my opinion few day ticket lakes that can yield such fish in essex.

note churchwood has a lake devoted to cats just opened ! that adds to the two they already have.(note i do not think there cats as big as crow or have any sturgeon either and they charge £30 a day compared with £20 or £10 on a day ticket for two rods (3 are allowed).

fished it monday only one take ! the fish decided to go towards me (they tend to do that there) and then spit out the hook after a brief struggle.

Only one fish caught there by a lady she caught a lovely 43lbs sturgeon on pigs liver. her son broke up on a big cat (thats not really a surprise)think he was on either halibut or luncheon meat..

• 2 weeks later...

i fish here quite a lot since he has made the lake bigger its not fishing as well i gave fishing there a rest so that the fish could get to know there surroundings but going to start going there again soon iv not really had any big carp from there had a few decent cats out tho biggest being 48lb samllest being around 30lb also seem a few nice carp over 20lb its a very good lake and jason always helps you out if your finding it hard catching

• 3 years later...

Well I think I posted about the 1st time that I had fished there in a number of years and that I had three mid 20lb carp and my brother had a 61lb catfish, since then I have done two more sessions and just had relatively small cats but have caught every time and the reason I believe that I had no carp was that they were get ready to spawn,has it ever been easy? Well if I'm honest no your right it has not but now it's been made bigger is it any better? Well I don't think I could answer that question after only 3 sessions but the only thing I would say is that I've heard some good things about the size of the carp that do come out ie: numerous 30lb carp which feels me with encouragement as I'm desperate to break through that barrier so only more time on the fishery will tell and as ever if I catch I will post it here.

Edited by Essex carper!

• 2 weeks later...

Well just to let people know how I got on on my recent session,I arrived on Wednesday afternoon to a few fish showing, anyway got myself set up and was getting some knocks or liners whichever way you want to say it which gave me some encouragement,into the evening and I get my first run and my first thought was I had hooked a decent carp but when I eventually got it to the surface the said carp turned into a small catfish lol -:wink: it tipped the scales around to a very modest 12lb but still at least I had caught,later in the evening another run comes along just as I was about to re bait and this time I'm sure it was a carp but unfortunately after a brief tussle it slipped the hook -;( into the the early hours of Thursday morning and I'm awoken by the bite alarm at 3am and I'm in again and this time it is a carp and it does not slip the hook, this time it's in the landing net and I know by looking at it its a 20lb+, I put it on the scales and sure enough it goes through the 20lb mark and settles on 24lb 2oz and of course I'm very happy a beautiful looking common in great condition. Into Thursday day proper and the heavens open with thunder and lightning and I don't know why but this seemed to kill the fishing as it completely went quiete no knocks or liners and that was it right through to Friday lunchtime when I packed up. Looking forward to getting over there again in mid September.

Nice to see you had a result mate . What swim were they showing in ?

Just curious . One end of the lake used to be considerably deeper than the other but i guess thats all changed now ?

Since he widened the lake and dug all the silt out the lake seems more universal in depth apart from around the island where it is a bit shallower apart from a hole where the catfish sometimes lay up,as for what end of the lake the fish were showing as you walk in from the car park the fish were showing on the bank to the right hand side from about the middle of the lake out to the last two swims( the last swim is known as cat corner and is the swim where I had the 3 mid 20s earlier this year) where there is a small bar which runs from that bank up towards the island,I fished on a big swim close to the island into the wind thinking that they would follow it but most of the fish I saw rising were in them areas that I described above but for whatever reason the guys who was fishing that end only had 3 catfish between four of them but to be honest it is entirely possible they were only after the cats which some people do over there now.

• 5 weeks later...

Got back yesterday from another 48hr session on the lake and it was hard going especially on Wednesday with the monsoon like rain,only managed 2 fish which was a small cat of 11lb and a nice looking mirror of 22lb but considering there was 10 anglers on the lake and the the shocking weather only me and one other angler managed to catch so should not complain I suppose.

Yea I know but since all the work that was done it seems to be busy during the week every time I go or I'm just unlucky lol,just a footnote last year the lake was closed for 4months and Jason's wife said he wants to close it again this year between November and march to give the lake a rest,interesting idea that.

Yea I know but since all the work that was done it seems to be busy during the week every time I go or I'm just unlucky lol,just a footnote last year the lake was closed for 4months and Jason's wife said he wants to close it again this year between November and march to give the lake a rest,interesting idea that.

Yeah well the Catfish will be asleep won't they and his takings probably ain't worth his while keeping it open just for the Carp which are difficult enough to catch in the a Summer let alone winter .

Personally I think that heavily fished venues such as that should be getting a couple of 2 week breaks a year .

Once as the Carp spawn and again later in the summer .

Would never happen though would it and we all know why :wink:

Yeah well the Catfish will be asleep won't they and his takings probably ain't worth his while keeping it open just for the Carp which are difficult enough to catch in the a Summer let alone winter .

Personally I think that heavily fished venues such as that should be getting a couple of 2 week breaks a year .

Once as the Carp spawn and again later in the summer .

Would never happen though would it and we all know why :wink:

Yea I agree with you to a degree with what your saying ie the cats won't be feeding however to let the lake rest be it cats or carp is a fantastic idea and I just wish other venues would do the same but like you hint at not much chance of that its all money money, like all all carp fishing,so sad fishing has be become a money making venture.its all money money money!!