hooklength for fluorocarbon mainline!

scoobydan_84

im going to give using fluorocarbon mainline a go and see how i get on with it but i have a couple of questions!

first what would you use as a hooklength? (braid/fluoro etc)

second, if i go for 15lb main line what lb hooklength should i be using?

i no it depends on conditions etc but just a general idea would be good,i have searched it but not come up with alot!!

iv been using mono and kind of want to step it up a bit now!

Not sure I agree with previous post. I use fluorocarbon mainline because it is invisible in water. It has more elasticity than braid, but less than mono. It is also extremely abrasion resistant. I use braided hook links because they are softer and more flexible than fluorocarbon, giving a better presentation, in my humble opinion.

I did think that rowleycarper but i read people have trouble with knots breaking and you cant use the knotless knot with it?also that it can curl up and needs to be streightend?

I was looking at braid as people say its more supple and gives better presentation but their are so many options of braid!

Also is it fairley easy to use?

Use a hook with an out turned eye such as a choddy and a knotless knot should be fine. The other option is to use the flouro in a combi link with a braid or to attach it with a palomar knot to any hook you want and to use a separate material for the hair. As for the comment that you need a fluoro hooklink or the fluoro mainline is a waste thats totally off the mark. I use fluoro as my mainline because it sinks like a brick and is great for slacklining, that has nothing to do with the hooklength material at all which in my case varies dependant on what bait, hook rig i'm using at the time.

thanks jemsu5! that is exactly why im going to be using fluoro as mainline,to help keep the whole lot hidden and to slack line!

the other half got me some hooks for xmas,korda wide gape and korda kurv shank so i would like to make use of these really! so am i right in thinking because of the eye angle on these hooks it would be best to use braid? or could i possibly streighten the eye?

sorry for all the questions but i want to make sure everything is right and dont want something silly to mess it all up! i basicsally want a couple of rigs,one pop up and one bottom that i can start with and then go on from their!

With those hooks i would use a coated braid or attach the hooks to fluoro using a palomar knot and a softer material for the hair. Fox make a small widget of some sort for attaching hairs so these might be worth sorting out if you want to perservere with fluoro for hooklinks. One word of warning fluoro doesn't like loop knots such as figure 8 etc. The Best loop knot if you must use one is the rapala knot/improved loop knot which can be found on Krystons site i think.

With those hooks i would use a coated braid or attach the hooks to fluoro using a palomar knot and a softer material for the hair. Fox make a small widget of some sort for attaching hairs so these might be worth sorting out if you want to perservere with fluoro for hooklinks. One word of warning fluoro doesn't like loop knots such as figure 8 etc. The Best loop knot if you must use one is the rapala knot/improved loop knot which can be found on Krystons site i think.

This one Jez?

KrystonLoopKnot.jpg

thanks alot for the help chaps!

one last question, if i go braid why use the coated stuff?is it just so it sinks better?

Coated braid being stiffer than uncoated means you can reduce tangles as one reason, but by choosing where you "break" the coating you can create hinges, or have stripped sections at either end of the hooklink.