What lakes and where near Southampton.

josh4406

Its called fishing for a reason mate- you can never guarantee that you are going to catch- especially at this time of year.

You may want to consider a day of fishing tuition with a coach as a Christmas present. A day with an experienced angler is worth years of hard slog on the bank. :wink:

There is a list of lakes in Hampshire here:

https://forum.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=27977

It may be worth having a look around and see if any of those lakes are already mentioned on the forum using the search facility, although contact numbers may have changed if you want to contact them directly

josh4406

Iav been night fishing at broadlands three times now mate and have had no luck, iav checked with my local fishing shop and iam using the correct equipment so i was just wondering if there were any other lakes round here thanks anyway.

josh

cobleyn

Its called fishing for a reason mate- you can never guarantee that you are going to catch- especially at this time of year.

It really pays to learn a lake and you will struggle to find fish on any lake at this time of year, even an "overstocked" puddle. Just because you blanked 3times it doesn't necessarily mean you are doing things wrong. It is carp fishing, the gear may be right, but the technique and application may be wrong, especially the location.

The problem is, and please forgive me for saying so, too many people come into carp fishing expecting it to be easy and to catch every time; that doesn't happen. It may be worth taking a step back, forget the carp fishing gear, and start learning on silver fish, how to feed, where they shoal up and what works for them. Even on small fish you can still blank, but carp fishing is a whole lot harder, but what you learn from small fish will stand you in good stead.

Now I happen to know that Broadland lake has produced lots of fish for many people, and at times the fish can be very "peggy" holding up in specific areas. For ages the best method was PVA bags full of pellets with boilie over the top, it may not be the same now, but it did used to work. The most important part of that though is location, fishing where the fish are.

It’s a bit like the old Irish joke about the chap asking for directions, and he’s told, “I wouldn’t start from here in the first place”. If I was starting carp fishing, I wouldn’t start this time of year, and I probably wouldn’t start with carp fishing. But I guess it’s easy for us to say that, and it’s entirely up to you when and what you start at.

I’ve been doing it for years, and I was recently on a run of 5 blanks, which I only ended by cheating, and going to a local little runs water. You’ve go to realise that 150 hours without a bite is not that unusual this time of year, especially if you’re fishing a water you aren’t familiar with. You just need to keep plugging away. Try using Cell fresh frozen boilies, they’re pretty reliable at most places. If there aren’t too many other species in the lake, scale down the bait size, and reduce the amount of ground bait you’re putting in, as carp don’t need much to survive at this time of year, and try to find the fish. Look for signs on the surface, look for features. Carp are a lot more mobile in the summer so, to a certain extent the fish might come to you, but that won’t happen in the winter, you need to find them.

Good luck.

Hi mate, I would say try BROADLANDS, There is a excellent head of 30's in there. have a look at this link

http://www.lakehunters.com/lakes/view/broadlands-lake/

All the best, oh also Horde is fishing well at the moment too ! One of Hampshire's Premier carp fisheries set in beautiful woodland surroundings close to the Dorset and Wiltshire Borders.

Hope that helps?

• 2 weeks later...

hi josh, where abouts in southampton are you? I live near hedge end and if you are willing to drive this way there are lots of small lakes which would be ideal for beginners...River Farm in Titchfield, Newlands in fareham.

Broadlands is an excellent lake and can produce some crackers but not ideal for first timers...stick to small lakes as fish will be easier to find then when you get your skills up then hit broadlands and bigger lakes.

as i say, im hedge end way and am usually on the bank most weekends...even at the moment so if you fancy joining me I would be more than happy to give you some tips

cheers