Quiver tips and set-ups

fantasticmrfox

F1's are notoriously shy biters that wouldn't necessarily pull the tip round.

The other benefit of a lighter tip is that it will show you what's happening in the swim- liners or smaller fish knocking into your feeder/ bait.

A heavy tip will only show definite bites (probably where the fish has hooked itself), whereas a lighter tip will give you more information about what's happening in your swim; so you can adapt your approach (more bait/ less bait... shorter rig/ longer rig...bring your feeder back by a yard etc etc).

It will also allow you the opportunity to strike at smaller indications that you may miss with a heavy tip.

just for the hell of it i`m going to agree with stevo .

i`ve done a fair bit of feeder fishing for carp over the years and although the f1`s can be known to be shy biters , but in my experience , the aforementioned hybrids i`ve come across WILL take your rod with them if your not careful.

having said that i`ve never fished for them during the winter so bearing in mind that that is probably the reason the fishery stocked them in the first place , mr cob may have a point .

generally speaking i spose it makes sense to scale down the quiver tips in winter just like a lot of anglers do with all other end tackle ?

So in the summer when the fish are more active and your target size fish are 3-6lb carp would you still tackle up with a 1.5/2oz tip or start on a 3/4oz tip ???

I take into account all of the conditions and fish the tip that is appropriate to the weather, swim and target fish. So I will fish the lightest tip I can get away with. However the following factors affect my choice:

The longer the chuck the heavier feeder; A heavier feeder allows me to fish a heavier tip as it won't dislodge the feeder when I tighten down to it. If I'm fishing a light feeder, I need to use a light tip to get a bend in it without moving the feeder.

The longer the chuck the more line I will have out- so undertow can be a factor and pull the tip right around.

Wind: on a windy day the tip can get pulled around when waves are lapping up- which makes a light tip difficult to read- so I'll go heavier then (on the feeder aswell).

I understand absolutely the point that you are making. Carp on a commercial pool with little interference from silvers and using a self hooking rig (Method etc), will more than likely hook themselves and charge off. A heavy tip will register this as a full pull around.

I grew up fishing for silvers on Lakes and rivers where a balanced approach was needed to maximise your swim. I think that background is still engrained in me and (as a personal choice), I still fish with balanced tackle. Thats not to say its right or wrong- I would be interested to see what the likes of Des Ship etc use and would bow down to their knowledge with no hesitation... :wink:

I thought we was advising fantasticmrfox on fishing drayton thats why i advised the heavier tip :)

I too started fishing on the tip for silvers and and would think nothing of using maggot on an 18 hook with a 2ft hooklenght with my 1.5oz :wink:

And im sure if i went digging in my shed id find my old target board a bit of kit that was essential in the 80,s but forgotten about in this day and age :D

I thought we was advising fantasticmrfox on fishing drayton thats why i advised the heavier tip :)

I too started fishing on the tip for silvers and and would think nothing of using maggot on an 18 hook with a 2ft hooklenght with my 1.5oz :wink:

And im sure if i went digging in my shed id find my old target board a bit of kit that was essential in the 80,s but forgotten about in this day and age :D

That's how this thread started, yes, but if it can help others by providing general knowledge then all the better!!

Some of you may have seen the catch report, but if not, I'd like to tell everyone that the advice given here gave me all that was needed to have a very productive session with my then new rod :)

As Cob said, I try to use the lightest tip possible for the conditions, that day I used the 2oz tip and had fish from small perch to 16lb carp and didn't miss a singe bite, It was soft enough to register the small bites from the perch, yet stiff enough to not give false bites on what was quite a windy day, so since then, as a rule of thumb, I've used the 2oz tip as a starting point then going heavier or lighter where needed (another advantage is the fact I have 4 2oz tips and only 2 of each other tip)

Without meaning to sound sarcastic, (I am genuinely interested) what is a target board and how is it used in fishing?

my initial reaction would be to shoot it :)

Lol you youngsters :lol::lol::lol:

It was a piece of flat plastic that fitted on a bank stick that you put in front of your quiver tip.

So when you looked down your rod you had a black back ground with lines on it to help with bite registration. Type of thing that anglers mail used to put on the front of their mags.

Well in the good old days (i sound old ) 99% of tip fishing was done for silvers/bream and as cob,kieran has said it was all about sensativity

ue,d set your rod up as normal and were your tip was u,ed put a little target board with lines on and then if u lined ur tip on with one of the lines you could see then bites if it move from 1 line to another !!!!! the bites really would be that shy :shock:

But only for the silvers if you had a better fish ya tip just use to start bending and keep goin :wink::D

Lol you youngsters :lol::lol::lol:

It was a piece of flat plastic that fitted on a bank stick that you put in front of your quiver tip.

So when you looked down your rod you had a black back ground with lines on it to help with bite registration. Type of thing that anglers mail used to put on the front of their mags.

I got the little round 1 anglers mail gave out years ago :oops:

I think i payed a couple of quid for my big square 1 i used in Ireland in the early 90,s :D

I,m not sure if there still about a lot of tip anglers switched to braid in the mid/late 90,s so a target board became a bit redundant