Bonjour

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I've never done France (war graves apart), too many fish I haven't caught over here. But four of us have won a week at "etang cache" next August, a few questions if anybody can answer them?

Is Limoges easier driving from Le Havre or Calais?

Is a van (Transit size) more expensive than a car on the ferry?

Are fags and beer cheaper out there or should I buy on the boat?

Is proper bacon readily available?

Has anybody fished here?

Cheers in advance.

Congratulations & well done on finally popping your French cherry!

Less of a drive from Le Havre or, better still Caen. Ferry prices on these routes are more expensive so you need to work out whether cheaper comes out on top but dont forget to factor in tolls and of course petrol costs.

Transit is more expensive but you can go through the booking procedure for your dates on all the routes to make a comparison.

Fags are cheaper here... best bet though is to get them from the bar/cafe/restaurants on the ferry you are allowed to buy a couple of packets from these and if you buy from all the different outlets you could bag yourself upto 10 packets for around 3 quid a packet.

Bring your bacon from the UK... also bring sausages. French sausages are much meatier than the UK ones but might not suit your taste and are considerably more expensive.

Beer buy in France same as the wine LOL.

Hope this helps.

Guest Anonymous

Merci mrs R,

Should be a fun trip, one of the boys has been no further than Norfolk. This is one of those trips where the company is more important than the fishing.

Not looked at going into Caen, needs to be from Portsmouth if poss so I'll check it out. We could fly to Limoges but I don't fancy using hired tackle.

Le Stew (I'm so fluent it hurts)

I get the email notifications when the ferry operators have their special offers on if you like I can email you when I do....

Please treat it as primarily a holiday with some good company and a few laughs fish are a bonus.

You seem up for a few french phrases...

Je voudrais un biere s'il vous plait (I would like a beer please)

Mange tout Rodney..... ( Thank you bartender)

:lol:

Guest Anonymous

You seem up for a few french phrases...

Je voudrais un biere s'il vous plait (I would like a beer please)

Mange tout Rodney..... ( Thank you bartender)

:lol:

I know a fair bit,

Baguette

Guepe

Petit pois

I'll get back to you on the rest :D

• 2 weeks later...

Je voudrais un grande biere s'il vous plait (I would like a big beer please)

Someone missed the grande out! if you forget that bit you get a beer in a funny lookin wine glass (a demi!)

If you at least show your willing to try speak french, they are much more helpful and forthcoming with the english.

I drove down to just past Limoges 2 weeks ago, got the tunnel for speed.

Thought about flying but wanted to bring me two rods (bodger and badger) for the fight! Wouldnt be the same would it! lol

Hope ya have a good un!

• 8 months later...
I've never done France (war graves apart), too many fish I haven't caught over here. But four of us have won a week at "etang cache" next August, a few questions if anybody can answer them?

Is Limoges easier driving from Le Havre or Calais?

Is a van (Transit size) more expensive than a car on the ferry?

Are fags and beer cheaper out there or should I buy on the boat?

Is proper bacon readily available?

Has anybody fished here?

Cheers in advance.

Hi Happyhammer

Bacon (streaky) is available here, go to supermarket and ask for "poitrine de porc au tranche" (I find Intermarche is good) show the person how thick you want it cut, you will get sreaky bacon like it used to be not full of water, sausages like uk are available from Lidl look for "Toulouse saucisse" better than bringing them over very hot in car and liable to be rancid by the time you go to cook them, do not ask for bacon as here it is a round thinly sliced salami type and is not very nice. The water is fine to drink and make sure you drink plenty it gets very hot (we hope) in August.

Driving down on the motorways will be expensive in a transit, it will take you longer on the "N" roads (like UK A roads) but you will see more of France and save your self around €100 each way, plan your route well and do not drink and drive I believe the limit is half that of the UK.

If you want any further info just ask.

Have a great time and give me a wave as you go through :) Lussac les Chateaux on the N 147

All the best

fridgedoc

ps. remember the roads will be very busy in August allow plenty of time

Je voudrais un grande biere s'il vous plait (I would like a big beer please)

Just to be picky it should be "une grande bière" you will also find that all carp in France are female (linguistically).

To be more helpful, don't look for fags in a supermarket. They are sold in tabacs.

très bijou Rodney ..... (pukka mate)

HH just a quikie why dont you go on the tunnel, were goin fri for a week and the tunnel crossing is £130 return, also if nyouve got a smartphone get a french translation app free, as said before take bacon and buy fags over there along with stella, im not counting here but ive got 84 hrs and 35 minutes and can't wait, the lad had the big girl out there 4 weeks ago at 71lb, but it came out again last week at 75lb :shock: