Safe method rig?

ash1988

Hello, can anyone tell me if this is a safe method rig please and what could i add to make it more effective if i could?

Feeder onto main line, then add a bead, then swivel then add the hook link and away you go.

Thanks

Ash

Hi bud, what feeder is it? fox, korda? the method feeders i use normally go on the mainline then the swivel just tucks into the end when you pull it tight. if you had the bead it would make it a running setup is that what your after?

They are normally quite effective just as they are, i just adjust my hook length to see what performs better :D

Hi CC cheers for reply :)

I haven't chose a brand yet, but the method feeder i like the look of is the flatbed feeder, i would prefer a running rig as i hear they are more sensitive, is that true?

Cheers again

Ash

Like cc has said, no problem with sensitivity when using the method for carp.

The secret is to ignore the "knocks and tweaks" and wait for the pull - when the rod gets wrenched round and you have to dive for it! And they all get lip hooked!

I used to use the Korum feeders but have recently changed to the new Drennan ones as I like the plastic connector which does away with swivels.

Regarding the rig, I always like to use a short (3" max) hook link of strong mono.

The last time I used a method I too had a fairly short hooklink and found I was getting a lot of little tugs on the line and single bleeps but no hook ups so after an hour or so out of interest I switched to a stiff rig about 12" keeping it well away from the bulk of the bait on the method and within 10 minutes I was in albeit a tench but it seemed to work and then a cast or two later using the same tactic landed a low double mirror

Yea i tend to use a soft link and then vary the length, Honestly ive never tried it with a stiff hooklink as ive never had too, the hardest part is as syddallj said,, sitting on your hands whilst its bleeping like mad and waiting for the mental one tone when they do the off!! :lol::lol:

Method fishing is awesome, highly underated and extremely funny!! :lol::lol:

When i start for the day i re-cast every 25 mins for the first few hours untill the knocks and bleeps start coming thick and fast basically if that doesnt happen then i would recast every 40 mins,, But as Keenook said if the bleeps and knocks are happening i will just wait untill it stops before i recast and make sure my rigs ok.

You do go through the grounbait this way though, used nearly 7 kilos of mixed stuff last time i went proper method fishing, had loads of fish though!! :lol:

I always use a 2oz inline then wrap the paste around. Leads are a third of the price of feeders so no worries about loosing one or two in the islands. Another bonus is that the swivel pushes into the bottom to create a bolt rig. Use a 4 inch braid link, break off the bottom of the ball and fold rig in, reform ball and pull hook until 1 inch of rig hangs out. No tangles, no worries.

cast out quite often to start with to build up your swim, get the fish feeding. another good bait on your method is the old pellet. just pour a little water over them and leave for a while until they have soaked it up, then mould around your feeder. Good thing about method feeders they open up so many avenues for flavours. keep on trying until you find what the fish are having. good luck mate.

They're not just a runs water tactic either. :wink:

I had my 29lb PB this season on a method feeder. It had been out for 5 hours plus.

I love the fact you can load it up with liquids. I rarely have to add any water to my mix, the juice from tins of sweetcorn and hemp is usually enough to bind it all together.

• 2 weeks later...

TBH no one on my water uses method feeders and its a bit of a tough cookie to crack at the minute. I think I might give it a go! I used to feeder fish on smaller commercial waters and loved it! waiting for the rip round was great fun!

I think sonubaits still do the super carp method mix with a decent forum feeder for free in the bag! Theres loads of bits in that mix and give off a really "milky" looking cloud.

They're not just a runs water tactic either. :wink:

I had my 29lb PB this season on a method feeder. It had been out for 5 hours plus.

I love the fact you can load it up with liquids. I rarely have to add any water to my mix, the juice from tins of sweetcorn and hemp is usually enough to bind it all together.

Splitter, that could have been me talking/typing. Try adding Dynamite Baits Meaty Marine Powder to your mix.

It has helped me to catch some very nice fish, frequently. Corn on the hook/hair and in the mix. I use a 3-4 inch hooklink and fully embed it into the ball on the feeder.

Use a feeder with a biased lead which means, theoretically, that your hook is always uppermost in the presentation. Most of the decent stockists offer them.

Ian

I'm not the only one then Welder.

Funnily enough I used some meaty groundbait from bait tech in my last mix. Had an interesting smell and left a good cloud in the water. Didn't do me any good but my mate had a nice twenty using the same mix.

I've been using boilie tipped with fake corn as hookbait recently, to avoid the roach. I've settled on a very short rig length as well. I've watched a big carp feeding on my feeder last month. It didn't move far, just stuck it's tail up, head down and circled round the feeder a couple of times to get different angles on it. I think it must have got away with it a couple of times and I had a slightly longer rig on than usual. I'm sticking with about 3" now.

I'm thinking that a drop-off inline system would work with a method feeder. Having lost my last fish on the method to an unseen snag it would help to drop the feeder and get the fish up in the water quickly. The weed is getting bad now as well and I don't like playing fish with the feeder hanging so close to their heads. I worry they could use the weight to shake the hook out. I've not been getting many runs recently so I don't mind losing a feeder for every carp hooked.