Bit of advice, would be nice :)

james_d

Hey guys an girls,

I have just finished reading an article in total carp about starting your season and getting everything ready for the new year :)

..anyway I was thinking is it worth me sticking to two rigs all year, one for pop ups and the second for my bottom bait ? Or should I try a lot of different rigs through out the year and see which one I like more or which ever gives me more success? :) as I to be honest have not used a lot of different rigs in my time :)

what does everyone think ? :)

Thanks, James :) :)

to me it depends what lake your on.for instance if this is the lake your to fish all season then i would use rigs that i was 100% confident in.but if its a lake say just for the spring and its a bit of a runs water then what i do is try all different rigs.last season on my spring water i tried chods for the first time and its given me the confidence to use it on my syndicate lake now

Have you used the rigs in question before?

Did they work?

If the answer is yes, then keep using them...

Good advice from zammo.

If the answer is no, or maybe...don't be afraid to experiment. It's interesting that you are having one on pop up and one on bottom baits. Generally choose one or other. If you don't have debris, weed, silt on the bottom there no need to have a pop up... They just look odd. by all means have something buoyant in the rig to make the bottom bait critically balanced...but don't have it floating three inches above the deck

Equally if you have all of the above, try a pop up to present over the top of it. But don't feel you need a pop up just because the mags say you should use a pop rig.

I re tied all of my rods today co incidentally ready for the spring period. I have one ready for maggots (supple braid) one ready for a balanced bait (flouro to braid combi) and a chod as a roving bait. The first two will be fished over bait and the chod will be a single that I cast at showing fish.

By May I will re tie them all again, as i change my approach as the water heats up.

Have you used the rigs in question before?

Did they work?

If the answer is yes, then keep using them...

Good advice from zammo.

If the answer is no, or maybe...don't be afraid to experiment. It's interesting that you are having one on pop up and one on bottom baits. Generally choose one or other. If you don't have debris, weed, silt on the bottom there no need to have a pop up... They just look odd. by all means have something buoyant in the rig to make the bottom bait critically balanced...but don't have it floating three inches above the deck

Equally if you have all of the above, try a pop up to present over the top of it. But don't feel you need a pop up just because the mags say you should use a pop rig.

I re tied all of my rods today co incidentally ready for the spring period. I have one ready for maggots (supple braid) one ready for a balanced bait (flouro to braid combi) and a chod as a roving bait. The first two will be fished over bait and the chod will be a single that I cast at showing fish.

By May I will re tie them all again, as i change my approach as the water heats up.

On both my rods I will use the same type of rigs as I used last year, and neither will be a pop-up rig (snowman maybe :wink: ).

The rigs I used 2 years ago produced fish that hadn't been caught before or for a long time, from pressured swims and were different to other anglers, and I will use the same style all the way through the year.

The one thing I will say, don't confuse yourself with rigs, in most cases a standard knotless knotted rig will work, for bottom baits and pop-ups, although if the fish are getting away with it (or not getting a good hookhold), then a play with rig, hair length or line aligner setup may be beneficial. That standard rig will produce loads of fish, the thing you have to get right is the feeding situation.

Just because a lake may be silty does not mean that you have to use a chod rig :!: It may well present a bait above the silt, but why would you want to do that when the fish actually feed in it?

Same as why present a bait in the silt if they prefer to feed on top of it?

A blatant pop-up can be a danger signal to some fish, thats whether it is a hi visibility or overflavoured bait, or even a food source pop-up. It may be that you are fishing a pop-up above their heads when they are comfortably feeding on the deck. A carp may well not know that the bait is 5centimetres above the lakebed, but if its mouth is down on the lakebed it may well not even take it as its not where it is feeding. :wink:

Yet if you have a high amount of weed with food trapped at various heights in the weed growth the carp will take a pop-up at whatever height :wink:

Thank you very much for that to be honest amazing! help :) it has really helped me a lot, I think that I will play around with my rigs and change them to each individual water or circumstance :) I think this will help me learn a lot more, rather than just following the rigs that are "popular" :) saying that of course I will still get ideas and hints from them of course but my rigs are always going to be just that "my rigs" :)

Thanks again guys :)

James :)

Thank you very much for that to be honest amazing! help :) it has really helped me a lot, I think that I will play around with my rigs and change them to each individual water or circumstance :) I think this will help me learn a lot more, rather than just following the rigs that are "popular" :) saying that of course I will still get ideas and hints from them of course but my rigs are always going to be just that "my rigs" :)

Posts like this make my day, Thank You :wink::D

Something else for you, that I didn't think of at the time; A pop-up rig in most cases I would fish the bait tight to the hook shank, whether the fish suck in or mouth the bait you want the 2 close together to be taken in, yet with a bottom bait you may find that a large separation is better :wink:

Posts like this make my day, Thank You :wink::D

Something else for you, that I didn't think of at the time; A pop-up rig in most cases I would fish the bait tight to the hook shank, whether the fish suck in or mouth the bait you want the 2 close together to be taken in, yet with a bottom bait you may find that a large separation is better :wink:

Thanks very much for all the great help mate :) and why is that on the bottom bait you would have a large seperation ?

Thanks again means a lot :)