I'm from Essex originally and........

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

although I'll never fish there, as a boy I used to cycle to Danbury lakes a lot. I remember it being tree lined and crystal clear with weed and pads.

My interest in Carp probably stems from that place, watching them in shallow water cruising over dead leaves.

Anyway, can anyone shed any light on whether it ever did any big fish? If it was ever fished I bet they were stunners regardless.

• 4 years later...

Just did a search for 'Danbury' and found this thread. I'm sad that you never got a reply, because I have similar ponderings about these waters. My dad also used to cycle to Danbury as a boy to fish (from Billericay, must have taken ages). I don't know what it is about those lakes, probably because they're so well established and nestled in that ancient woodland they have a certain mystery about them. I'm fascinated by them and also wanted to catch a Danbury park carp. I'll fish it some day, I'm not even all that bothered about how big they are, I'd just love to catch one. Nowadays you can't fish the medium size lake (one nearest the car park) or the biggest lake. The big lake just because of its age must have some 20's at least I would guess? The only lake you can fish now is the very small one furthest from the car park. I have seen carp in there this summer, I'd hazard a guess that they were about 5lb at most. There was a handful of them. I'd love to hear from anyone whose ever caught one from any of the lakes. I have a feeling you may only be allowed to fish one rod, I could be wrong, just to make things that bit harder

Blimey Danbury Lakes , that takes me back ! .

I first fished there when I was probably 11 or 12 ; I don't know when I stopped possibly when I got my first car at 17 / 18 .

When I first started fishing there it was for Roach and Gudgeon in the Top or Car Park Lake .

Later it was ledgering for Bream in the Middle Lake , with the chance of a large Crucian .

Then finally it was for Carp in the Bottom Lake , with the large Rudd .

I have a 'photo of me with what was at the time my biggest fish , a Mirror Carp - I was so excited I forgot to weigh it ! .

I'm guessing it would have been around 15lb .

Later I caught a  few more around 5lb  float fishing luncheon meat .

I heard a story around the time 2 of the 3 lakes were closed to Anglers that the fish ( well the large Carp anyway )  were transfered to what was Manor Farm Bottom Lake in Gt. Baddow  - I think it's now called The Mill .

:wink:  

Hey there! Delighted there's been a response from someone who's actually fished there! Do you mind me asking how many years ago we are talking? I probably forgot to say, I did fish there myself when I was much younger but floating for perch on the bottom lake. Man, you could catch a million perch in a single day there! Anyway, 15lb on the bottom lake? I know that's not big by some peoples standards but I would wet my pants if I caught a double figure fish from that lake! How exciting! You know, I was there once just for a walk and bumped in to a ranger, I'm certain sure she said fish had been moved but she was very vague and I couldn't quite follow if she was saying fish were moved off site or down to the fishable lake. The mill, syndicate water is it not? This is wetting my appetite for a stint at Danbury to see what's left there!

Well we are talking about coming up to 40 years ago .

I can still remember float fishing sweetcorn on the far bank of the smallest / Bottom Lake - it's probably classed as out of bounds now , but in those days there never really were any proper swims as such .

Anyway on that evening I had caught a Rudd , then I hooked the big 15lb ish Mirror which calmly swam all around the lake . This wasn't really a problem as no one else was fishing there so no lines to avoid , and no snags as such , but it didn't help my nerves on my float rod and low breaking strain ( 4lb ? ) line .

I had no scales , and had to run to a nearby phone box to call my Dad to come and take a 'photo , and then use my front bike light so my Dad could see to take the 'photo .

Do you know Sandford Mill  , Sandon ( or would it be Gt. Baddow ) ? .

The road runs downhill past the entrance to Manor Farm and comes to a dead end by the Water Works unless you are on foot / cycling then you can cross the bridge over a backwater of the River Chelmer .

Anyway the lake nearest Manor Farm house is the one I think the Danbury Lake carp were moved to .

Yes I understand The Mill is a syndicate . 

If you do get to fish the Bottom Lake I remember fishing to a fallen tree by some overhanging rhododendrons in the top right hand corner .

Dad lives in Great Baddow, I do know where you mean regarding The Mill (just checked it out on Google Earth too).

I also know the rhododendrons and over hanging trees you mean. Almost certainly would have put a rod there as a first choice. Do you remember the bit of wall adjacent? Still there. Would love to know what it's original purpose was? Could have just been something relating to directing water into that particular pool I suppose?

Well, the weather is closing in now so I'm not sure if this is really the place to go winter carp fishing - but they have a closed season there so perhaps ill try and get a few days in before they shut up shop in March. Thanks for the replies!

Hi 

Yes I remember that wall , I think it leant over at an angle ? .

The wall could  have indeed been to divert water into the Bottom Lake .

I don't blame you for not wanting to Winter Carp Fish the Bottom Lake I remember it as rather dark and uninviting even during the Summer , in Winter I think it would be really   cold , damp and depressing ,  probably full of leaves breaking down and giving off gasses . 

I hope to see a 'photo of you with a Danbury Lake carp before March .

All the best .

Was having a cast around the internet to try and find the fishing rules published online, and found an interesting account of the history of the park instead. Including an answer to the wall mystery - it looks very much like it's a 'Ha-Ha' for containing the dear that used to live on the estate. As a former student of Architecture I should really have worked that out! Probably not, but could be as old as 1758.

Links;

Park History: http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/content/imported-docs/a-e/danburyparkresearch.pdf

A bit on Ha-ha's: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ha-ha

• 1 year later...
  • 5 years later...

I have very happy memories of fishing all 3 lakes with my Dad and brother back in the mid 60's after the drive in a A35 van from Southend...Top lake perch and roach to maggot.......Middle lake we caught nice crucians and quality roach to cheese paste fished on the bottom, right side by the dam wall by the pads and bushes, got very excited watching the fish fizzing on the surface on early calm mornings. the fish would stop feeding by mid morning It would be all over by about !0.30 am...... so we would drop dpwn on the lower lake for an hour or so catching roach on hemp and maggot Lol....... all this was done using a ww2 tank aerial as a pole....then back home for dinner ☺️ ps back then I don't recall anybody fishing for carp.