the kd rig

delk28

I still don't get that you have to use this rig with a balanced bait. Is the implication that a balanced bait will somehow sit higher in the carps mouth when sucked in (therefore making the eye 'lighter'). I just don't believe it myself, I think a bottom bait and a critically balanced bait both actually sink and get sucked into the middle of the carps mouth. I think there is a lot of rubbish talked about this rig and people seem to swallow it, kurv hook, line and sinker. :roll:

You say that the KD rig has caught you carp that a perhaps a basic rig wouldn't of FACT. Now the way you say perhaps means that you cant be 100% certain, we can never be 100% certain that a simple rig wont work. I've fished waters where my results have been far better than others who use what i feel are rigs that are way over the top. For most of us its a confidence thing and for that reason alone i can understand people using different rigs etc. To me they suck it in they spit it out and sometimes we get lucky. That may be a very simplistic view but i know that what i do works for me and i'm happy with my results.

Im not a fan of korda but just watch the underwater footage and you'll clearly see how fish 'get away with it' KD rig sends that hookbait further in the mouth and at greater pace then other rigs, the position of the hair enables that hook to turn and take hold far more effective then a standard knotless knot. Never once said that basic rigs arnt effective and if yoir catching then why change a thing. Proof is in the pudding as they say.

I know by changing things on my rigs, on the day, get me reults! Steve renyard is a genius when it comes to rigs! I dont think he'd have the results he has if it wasnt for his thinking angler approach. Iv fished with him and i can tell you now, He has more rig ideas then you could ever imagine. Some seem crazy but they put fish on the bank. And big fish!

As for the korda DVDs what they showed to me is the fact that a simple running rig had the best results. As for Steve Reynard yes a good angler who likes to tinker with rigs but i'm still to be convinced that rigs make that big a difference to his results, i feel that its more down to his overall ability as an angler. I totally dispute that the KD rig works as you say i've seen it fail dismally on waters just as much as other rigs have, its not the be all and end all that some seem to think. Will have to agree to disagree on this one.

You say that the KD rig has caught you carp that a perhaps a basic rig wouldn't of FACT. Now the way you say perhaps means that you cant be 100% certain, we can never be 100% certain that a simple rig wont work. I've fished waters where my results have been far better than others who use what i feel are rigs that are way over the top. For most of us its a confidence thing and for that reason alone i can understand people using different rigs etc. To me they suck it in they spit it out and sometimes we get lucky. That may be a very simplistic view but i know that what i do works for me and i'm happy with my results.

A chapter that Ken Townley wrote in Tim Paisleys Big Carp shows how rigs are almost irrelevant in a fishing situation.

He tied a rig up as he had been shown at Savay, so I presume it was the original Savay Looney rig, the extended hookshank being achieved by a length of tubing, and fished it on his local water. The carp in the lake were able to eject the hook on many occasions, in fact he had less than 50% hook-up. He tried again, by changing the pattern, still not effective. He then went back to his standard set-up, which I believe from memory was a critically balanced bait with the hair extension tag being used to hold the counterweight. That rig landed most of the takes he had on that water, and he had been watching pick-ups to runs and ejection from above the water.

Now the KD rig is just the current fashion rig that the magazines are publishing, its slightly different from the knotless knotted rig. Yet years ago when Jim Gibbinson was playing with rigs in an attempt to recreate the effects of the Bent Hook rig that was causing damage he found that by using what has become termed the "Line aligner", he converted far more pick ups than a standard hook tied on with a hair. The Line aligner has faded out of fashion, maybe because the knotless knot is easy to tie and in theory the hook should turn, flip and get a hookhold, especially with the curved shank patterns we are using.

Now I fully admit that at the moment the rigs I'm using are far more complicated than the KD rig, strange, considering I'm the person who started the "Complicated rigs" thread :roll::? , and I will also say , that if you create or tie a rig, then in most cases the reason it often fails is because the feeding situation is not in such a state to get the fish feeding comfortably, as a result many rigs are not working as effectively as they could.

A chapter that Ken Townley wrote in Tim Paisleys Big Carp shows how rigs are almost irrelevant in a fishing situation.

He tied a rig up as he had been shown at Savay, so I presume it was the original Savay Looney rig, the extended hookshank being achieved by a length of tubing, and fished it on his local water. The carp in the lake were able to eject the hook on many occasions, in fact he had less than 50% hook-up. He tried again, by changing the pattern, still not effective. He then went back to his standard set-up, which I believe from memory was a critically balanced bait with the hair extension tag being used to hold the counterweight. That rig landed most of the takes he had on that water, and he had been watching pick-ups to runs and ejection from above the water.

Now the KD rig is just the current fashion rig that the magazines are publishing, its slightly different from the knotless knotted rig. Yet years ago when Jim Gibbinson was playing with rigs in an attempt to recreate the effects of the Bent Hook rig that was causing damage he found that by using what has become termed the "Line aligner", he converted far more pick ups than a standard hook tied on with a hair. The Line aligner has faded out of fashion, maybe because the knotless knot is easy to tie and in theory the hook should turn, flip and get a hookhold, especially with the curved shank patterns we are using.

Now I fully admit that at the moment the rigs I'm using are far more complicated than the KD rig, strange, considering I'm the person who started the "Complicated rigs" thread :roll::? , and I will also say , that if you create or tie a rig, then in most cases the reason it often fails is because the feeding situation is not in such a state to get the fish feeding comfortably, as a result many rigs are not working as effectively as they could.

Well said that man.

I agree that confidence levels play a massive part in how effective are rigs work etc. Its a really interesting subject and nice to hear what others think about it.

Iv had a few tough sessions where the carp are being cute! A simple change to a running rig and the buzzers screaming!

Whats this complex rig your using then? be nice and share! :lol:

Rig Pic somewhere on here:

https://forum.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=42302

Only thing I've changed is the hook pattern as I haven't been able to get hold of FLB's locally and so moved over to Gamakatsu G-point GP204's and Gardner Muggas :wink:

• 3 weeks later...

i looked on the korda website a minute ago and found something just like the kd rid but different called the reverse hair rig. i had one on the rig the other day at 9lb, the size 6 kurv shank was nailed right in the bottom lip ! :D

however, i tied it with a normal hari without the rig ring