Problem with choosing a Colne valley pit to fish this season

Im spoilt for choice living in Hertfordshire with 50 - 60 good lakes within 20-30 minute drive allot are very tough syndicate waters with very long waiting lists (dead man shoes).. Does anyone have any recomendations

Broad water

Gerrards Cross

troy

harrow pits

Uxbridge rovers

veralum

gerrards cross[/b]

:?:?

Im spoilt for choice living in Hertfordshire with 50 - 60 good lakes within 20-30 minute drive

Show off :lol:

In that case choose your venue according to the type of fishing you want to do :roll:

Do you want to sit it out on a big fish water, or are you after numbers of fish?

You must know which is more likely to interest you, so we can't really give you the advice :?:!:

As for living that close as 138 says, "Show Off"!

I have to drive down to Hertfordshire to fish :shock::roll:

Im spoilt for choice living in Hertfordshire with 50 - 60 good lakes within 20-30 minute drive allot are very tough syndicate waters with very long waiting lists (dead man shoes).. Does anyone have any recomendations

Broad water

Gerrards Cross

troy

harrow pits

Uxbridge rovers

veralum

gerrards cross[/b]

:?:?

Like you say, with so many waters close by theres loads of options. Take a few days and have a look at as many as you can.

I'd certainly be sticking my name down on as many waiting lists as possible though. They can be long, or near impossible in some cases, but you never know. Sometimes you can get lucky.

Certainly wish I had your predicament :(

I'm pretty new to the Hertfordshire area and am also having similar problems. I currently live in Barnet I'm looking for a big fish water and am used to sitting out long periods for success. Also needs to be somewhere that allows dogs. Anyone got any suggestions?

I've been down to Willows Lakes in St Albans a fair few times recently taking a look at the Deep Lake. However, they don't allow dogs, so can't go!

I'm pretty new to the Hertfordshire area and am also having similar problems. I currently live in Barnet I'm looking for a big fish water and am used to sitting out long periods for success. Also needs to be somewhere that allows dogs. Anyone got any suggestions?

I've been down to Willows Lakes in St Albans a fair few times recently taking a look at the Deep Lake. However, they don't allow dogs, so can't go!

There are a few waters round here that will suit you and allow dogs. Some quite hard others not so hard.

Waters worth having a look at would be Verulam Angling. One rock hard pit, The Leather pit at Moor Mill (only a couple of miles from willows). Around a dozen fish in sevenish acres, the holy grail be Toadless the leather at around low 40's. the rest of the stock does not go much bigger than high 20's. There are also another 3 lakes on the complex that are much easier with much higher stocks of fish, with one or two surprises in the island pit. Pretty sure dogs are allowed on their waters.

http://www.verulam-angling.co.uk/

Watford piscators is another that definatly allows dogs and is worth a look, providing you live within 15 miles of Watford town Hall. They have a total of 6 lakes, all of which apart from one, are on the same complex. The most well know of these is Tolpits and although this lake has lost all of it's real monsters over the last couple of years, there are still around half a dozen stunning original 30's still left and a fair few other crackers to back them up.

http://www.watfordpiscators.co.uk/

Gerrads cross is another worth a look with a couple of cracking waters that are not easy but the rewards are there, not sure about dogs though.

http://www.gxudas.co.uk/fisheries.html

All the others mentioned in the first post along with a few other cracking waters in the valley that are accessible, are strictly no dogs.

A bit of a left field one is Kings Langley Angling society. They only really have one lake worth targeting for carp and it's still a pretty much unknown lake in regards of stock. Only a small hand full of carp anglers on there and they keep things quite hush hush. I have heard rumors of 30's, but definably a good head of 20's in there but a lot of doubles to.

The match anglers move anything they consider too big for them (basically doubles) in the match pond on the same site into the main lake.

Word of warning if you look at this club, is when you apply don't say you just fish for carp!

http://www.kingslangleyas.org/index.html

Waters worth having a look at would be Verulam Angling. One rock hard pit, The Leather pit at Moor Mill (only a couple of miles from willows). Around a dozen fish in sevenish acres, the holy grail be Toadless the leather at around low 40's. the rest of the stock does not go much bigger than high 20's. There are also another 3 lakes on the complex that are much easier with much higher stocks of fish, with one or two surprises in the island pit. Pretty sure dogs are allowed on their waters.

http://www.verulam-angling.co.uk/

Dogs are allowed at the VAC waters (in fact, you'll sleep easier at night if you have a big one with you on some of the waters!)

Leather Lake is rock hard - a dozen carp in more like 3 acres. The rest of the stock definitely don't go to high 20's - half are doubles, next best after Toadless would be two around 25lb - rest low 20's.

i have only been living in hertfordshire for a couple of months too and have already checked out a few waters...verulam seems to be the winner so far and especially Smallford(immaculate and very secure)..think they will let you have dogs but there are signs all over the place that you MUST clean up after them,it seems they have been having trouble in the past with the mess and now have a zero tolerance policy,if they find any you will be shown the door/gate

i have only been living in hertfordshire for a couple of months too and have already checked out a few waters...verulam seems to be the winner so far and especially Smallford(immaculate and very secure)..think they will let you have dogs but there are signs all over the place that you MUST clean up after them,it seems they have been having trouble in the past with the mess and now have a zero tolerance policy,if they find any you will be shown the door/gate

Zero tolerance - and rightly so. I think the problems weren't so much at Smallford - which is private - but at the public waters like Moor Mill. Sadly, there's a minority of dog walkers that go round there that don't feel the need to clean up after their mutts. The club put some signs up last year, which seem to have improved things and the gates preventing access to a fair bit of bank on the Island Lake will mean that should be much improved. Good work VAC!