paternoster rig

sidnet

sounds like you want a running lead with balanced pop up

try a search for tying rigs or check the stickys ,theres loads of pics

That is not a Paternoster Rig.

A Paternoster is with a Lead Link separate from the Mainline. It can be made from a Lighter Strain than the Mainline to break off in case of a snagged fish.

The thing with a Paternoster is that you have to Strike any Takes!

Pic enclosed, had it on the PC for ages.

My 6Year old Son actually drew it playing with Paint :wink: , although because I printed it off his PC I wrote the description in by Hand.

Paternoster.jpg

• 1 year later...

Just bringing an old thread back to life!

Been reading a lot of threads recently recommending paternosters and I'm interested to know what line people use for the hooklength (something soft and supple I assume... any recommendations there)? Also what line do you use for the length between weight and run ring, and how long do you have it?

Any help on the matter would be much appreciated. :D

Ben

Just bringing an old thread back to life!

Been reading a lot of threads recently recommending paternosters and I'm interested to know what line people use for the hooklength (something soft and supple I assume... any recommendations there)? Also what line do you use for the length between weight and run ring, and how long do you have it?

Any help on the matter would be much appreciated. :D

Ben

Not sure how much was covered in that Complicated Rigs thread about Paternosters, so I'll say I tend to use 8lb Line for the Lead link, but to make sure that it is a Weak link I normally tie a couple of overhand knots in it.

If you make an overhand loop knot at either end and have either a Run Ring or swivel able to go up and down the Mainline, then you can change the Lead or even the Whole Lead link and go back to a Running Lead. Length will usually be about 20centimetres long for me, but it is easy to play around with to find what works best for you.

Hooklinks I tend to stick to what I normally use, Braid or coated braid, unless I'm fishing for Tench or Bream then I go back to Mono (don't ask, don't know why :? ).

The whole lot is normally pretty tangle free, especially with a PVA Bag, or even Mesh. What I tend to do with Mesh is to stick the hook in the end, and then at the other end where I can't get an overhand knot tight I Split the PVA Down, so that I can overhand knot the 2 "flaps", I think I put a better description on 1 of the PVA threads somewhere. (probably on this:

https://forum.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=27183 )

One of the methods of using the paternoster in the 60/70s that was the for runner to the so called chod was basicaly Nicks drawing reversed.

The very short hook link was tied to a swival,this was threaded up the mainline,and a ring was tied to the mainline at its end,to this was attatched a length of weaker line tied to the lead,this was often quite a long length of line to fish the bait well away from the lead.

This was done for two reasons,one is that we wanted to seperate the hook and lead by some distance as we were starting to think along the lines of fish ditecting electrical currents between the lead and hook etc.

The second was the bait could not be dragged into the silt[nothing new you see]

Guest Anonymous
One of the methods of using the paternoster in the 60/70s that was the for runner to the so called chod was basicaly Nicks drawing reversed.

The very short hook link was tied to a swival,this was threaded up the mainline,and a ring was tied to the mainline at its end,to this was attatched a length of weaker line tied to the lead,this was often quite a long length of line to fish the bait well away from the lead.

This was done for two reasons,one is that we wanted to seperate the hook and lead by some distance as we were starting to think along the lines of fish ditecting electrical currents between the lead and hook etc.

& the idea was stolen from sea fishermen who have used it for hundreds of years :lol:

Cheers for the info guys.

Tested the rig out on Friday for a few hours and it was the only rod that got any runs. Think I need to sit on the rods more now though as the runs were very short before bait was dropped.

Only thing I did notice was hook link was getting tangled on a few occasions (this was when I wasn't getting any runs). Anyone else experience the hook link wrapping around the lead link? Any thoughts on ways around it?

Think I'll put hook link in a pva bag to see it this helps.

with nicks drawing you could cover the paternoster line with plastic tubing as in the diagram set up it has a tendency to tangle

Which is why:

The whole lot is normally pretty tangle free,
especially with a PVA Bag, or even Mesh.

With a paternoster you do have to strike the hook in. It is NOT a self hooking rig.

with nicks drawing you could cover the paternoster line with plastic tubing as in the diagram set up it has a tendency to tangle

Which is why:

The whole lot is normally pretty tangle free,
especially with a PVA Bag, or even Mesh.

With a paternoster you do have to strike the hook in. It is NOT a self hooking rig.

yes but as in korda 6 you may use it as a deception rig and a single hookbait

& the idea was stolen from sea fishermen who have used it for hundreds of years :lol:

Used by sea anglers yes but not stolen from them,as the same could be said for the hair rig :wink: