running rigs, slack lines & snags

daz5

After reading all the replys from the running or fixed post it has definatly changed my mind to use running rigs and slack lines.

! thing i dont get is why its said not to use slack lines near snags, Surley if semi fixed or running, the carp has the same chance of getting into the snags? or have i missed something??

By fishing slack lines near to snags you are giving the fish enough line to get to the snags before you are in direct contact with the fish. Fishing tight to snags you need to be fishing a tight line with the rod/reel locked up not giving any line and make sure you are sitting on the rod ready to get in control as soon as you get a take. This should stop the fish reaching the snags and give you a chance of landing it. I still use running leads in this situation but with a tight line.

Personally i would use neither as both are putting an angle in the line meaning that the fish has that bit of leeway before you are in direct contact with it. You need the rod to be fixed rock solid in single banksticks pointing directly at the snags on as tight a line as possible.

To be honest i would rather encourage the fish out of the snags by a bit of good bait application.

• 4 weeks later...

I use heavy bobbins and have a 2-3 inch drop on them in the day, you will see bites quicker this way than on a tight line in my opinion. At night I do the same, but usually at least 6 foot off the snag, the fish should gain confidence as darkness falls and come out of the snags. Always have your clutch tight and dont use your baitrunner at all! Also, when you hook one, get ready, it can be proper nerve wracking at times!