Gippsland carping

Fished this afternoon, at new pond and at an old haunt. The first pond i tried is where i had fished a bit over the winter. I had seen some good fish in this bay this time last year. So i fished it today, the fish were quite wary and i had to chuck the float along way to get any kind of bite.

I fed particles and other things close in amnd managed to get some carp feeding. I managed a few carp on the float and lost a few.

The first fish i hooked at range bent the rod over and headed for the sedges, i stopped the fish, it made one final run, towards the sedges and the line parted. I had checked the line before i started i can only presume the line ran across something under the water. As there alot of rocks in this particular area of the lake.

There was quite a few carp a round later, sucking the sedges drifting in and out. As well as sucking insects off the surface.

I saw a good fish leap out of the water, i put a float over it and waited, but nothing materialised. I managed 7 fish from this area, but alot of the fish were further out in the reeds and sedges. Beyond what i would land a fish if i put a bait in.

Later on i moved to a new lake i fished last week. There i caught 11 fish to 7lbs and lost a few. The average size on this area is good, so i am hopeful of a bigger fish.

Defenitly need to get back on the rivers, sometime soon to find a big double.

For now thats it

I do own an unhooking mat, have done for the last 20 years in fact. The fish i put down in the net and on top of a wet sack and thick cushioning grass. The fish are in good nick when i put them back. The grass is from the carp rolling quick, when i was trying hold it and unhook it. I took the photo quick, so the fish could go back quick. Enough said thanks for the offer. I walk 25 minutes to this area and i cut down all my gear, soft grass is and has always been good as well as a wet sack, weigh sling and net.

You should see what the peligan does to fish of 4lbs, never mind the commorants. I do take on board, what you are saying, fish welfare is top for me.

Thanks for the offer. If i need a new one i will take you up on it. I use a aqua unhooking mat, it is big enough for fish to 30lbs or so. so i should have no problems over here as finding a double is hard enough.

I bought 2 big mats with the intention of using them for when i go big eel fishing. I just have not got round to that yet.

Cracked it today well had a new personal best over here. I only fished 5 hours today, in some of the windiest conditons i9 have fished in over here for a while. After a week of tropical weather, rain yesterday and wacking winds; gets the fish stirred up.

I had no bites from the first area i fished and then moved and covered two spots with two rods. I did not really see any carp today, due to the gusts of wind hacking across the lakes.

I had a fish of 8.6lbs first up and then a few smaller fish on the other rod. I could not really get many bites on the float rod, but for less fish meant more quality today. I managed by continual feeding and drifting bread out to get a few more carp. A round the 6 to 7lbs mark. I followed this up with a 10.1lbs, the first double from this water.

IMG_0365.jpg

I had few smaller fish on the other rod and a few double hook ups at the same time always fun to try and play two fish and land them.

I then hooked a decent double and saw in with in a rods length out as it drifted a cross the surface the hook then pinged out aas it made a run to the sedges. I then proceed to lose another good fish as the line caught a round some floating sedges in the water the rod doubled over the line sang out and the hook came out.

At 8.00p.m i hooked a good fish which proceed to tank out into the next bay. I managed to coke it back a few times and had it over the net at one stage it would not go in and slowly waddled back a way. I did not want to lose this fish as i had seen it. I had been having problems with my net the arms had bend with lifting alot of fish out recently.

With a few more heart in mouth moments i got the fish in. It was long and had a good gut on it it went 16.13lbs on the scales a best for australia for me.

IMG_0370.jpg

I ended the session with 20 fish and 4 lost. for 5 hours, which is one of my best catches for time wise put in.

enough said great day and the first big fish for 400 odd fish over the last year or so.

tight lines andy

Top work Andy!!!

You just keep on keeping on mate, your dedication has to be admired. Two great results mean a proper red letter day!

I always enjoy reading your posts, and find solace in your endeavours that keep me trudging out the door at ungodly hours to top up my spots.

Nice gut on that 16 too mate, hungry bastard!!

Congratulations again on your Aussie PB!

Take it easy,

Ben

Defentily a fish that could put a bit more wait on. Defenitly a big [censored] though as you say. I have been up tonight to put a few kilos in and some other stuff. I saw some fish a round, one nice fish, hopefully get on, on the weekend. I would say now that fish i have seen earlier, in another pond near here would go mid twenty. The only problem is it is quite a big sheet of water and full of sedge and reed and can only be accessed for a quarter of the bank or less. Makes life very tricky, I cannot take a boat on here either.

andrew

• 3 weeks later...

I was going to post some of this 3 sundays a go, but i have just not had the time to get on the computer and get my catches down.

Sunday 27th February, i landed 24 carp to 9.1lbs, but lost 11 fish, which one was defenitly a decent double. I had many pulls and dropped bites on the float. In all i fished 5 areas and use many methods from popping up floaters off the lead; which accounted for a few fish. Drifting baits out to the fish. After feeding in floaters for a few hours. The fish were alot more wise to the float and the methods on this visit. It took them along time and alot of feeding to get the fish confidence enough to feed hard on the bait. The best fish of the day was the first fish on the first cast with no other bait in. The fish are a good average for what i have caught recently with quite a few fish in the 7 to 8lbs bracket.

This day was very overcast and it had rained for 2 days before this brining more water and colour into the lake, which can pull more carp in certain areas.

IMG_0385-1.jpg

Carp 9.1lbs the best of the day

IMG_0387.jpg

A small but pretty mirror, shame about the flash ruining the photograph.

I fished sunday 6 th march, the day was warm and overcast. After 3 days of cooler weather. The were just not playing ball this day. I tired every trick even using a suspender floater rig, but the fish were spooking on the bait and keeping well out into the lake. I fished well after 10 and touch legered on one rod and managed 14 fish and losing 7. A bit frustrating as i did not get back this weekend, due to to much work.

I am going to give this lake and other ones a break for now and go back on the rivers for a few months. Where hopefully i can catch abig carp before the winter comes and the carp seem to move off.

Time to get my bait rockets and banksticks and fox chair back out. I might even use buzzers again.

tight lines

andy

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Andy how u been?

I've been fishing alot around here, learning more skills and upgraded someof my gear. I lost your number when water tested my iphone, lmao. Can you give me a bell or a text on 0402 633 881 when u get the chance, would love a chat, might be coming up there soonish. I'll have my boat back going again soon. When that happens, i'll take you to a spot near lake wellington, it's a secluded spot but a fari amount of fish hide here and they are a lot bigger and fight harder than the ones in Gutheridge.

Tight lines

Paul :shock:

I'll give you a phone, can't seem to get texting working any more. The boat sounds great. I have not fished for the last 4 weeks. I went and had a look at a new river and big lake today. Not sure if they will be any good.

Found out about a stretch of river locallish which has done fish 15lbs + so i am going to have a go at that when i find sometime. I'll send you my number in the pm mail.

• 3 weeks later...

Did you8 get up this way during the easter break. I was working most of it that i did not phone. I will give you a phone and hopefully we can ho0ok up and go for a days fishing sometime. My lines have been dry for well over a month or nearly 2 now.

I walked a round gutheridge and a few morass areas last saturday. One area was full of italians and poles with quite a fish on the bank for eating. I left them to it.

I will have to give some of the rivers a go when i have some time.

tight lines to all

My tackle would be classed as old now shimanos 8010's imx rod hutcinson rods and i have a kevin nash brolly and wrap some where in the shed. I don't even use my solar pod anymore.

It does not stop me catching though good watercraft and getting close and watching the fish takes some beating. finding a big fish is my aim.

• 7 months later...

Not posted for along time due to lack of fishing time. 1 visit out in thew last 8 months to be be on the mark.

I fished a bout a month a go when my father was over, we went to a few pools or lakes. The conditions were not great, but we stuck at it baiting areas and moving a round.

We managed 19 carp between us and lost 12 fish, due to the hook pulling quickly after the first hooking. With the areas been some what snaggy with reeds etc.

It was good to get fishing again. I have spotted out a stretch of river where no ones fishes and have seen some quite decnt carp in. So that will be port of call for the future to catch a australian 20.

Not going to be fishing much as i am back to the u.k for a month, may be do some pike fishing if i have chance.

One of my favourite waters with all the rain we have had this year has breached it's banks and the carp are now spread over the flood water. Afew 100 hectares, which will make stalking them just that bit harder.

On the visit with my father we had fish to 7 lbs, not massive, but just good to catch fish again.

More posts to follow soon hopefully

tight lines andy

• 2 months later...

Back in the saddle so to speak. My fishing time has been pretty much none for the last year. I am looking a round new venues at the moment. I am walking river i fancy 3 or 4 nights a week to try and spot fish.

I have seen the odd carp, but nothing big enough to warrant my attention at the moment.

I fished last weekend on a new venue 100 hectares + of reed sedge beds andf very silty to boot. I have being baitining it for a while. I am basically casting as far as i can bait and chuck a lead on the small rods i have.

Then sitiing back on indicators i managed 10 carp from a few pounds to about 7lbs. So not to bad a start. I have seen better fish they are just right out of casting range. I can get round some of the edge of the lake with chest waders, but the thought of walking a round or to this lake in chest waders'in the weather we had on the weekend does not appeal at all.

I think it is just a matter of putiting plenty of bait in and working through the numberts as the same on most venues.

I did think of boilies, but the fish have got pretty big mouths on this venue. So i would have to use cricket ball to stop the smaller carp.

More fun to work through the fish with a bit of stalking thrown in. To may be sort out a bigger fish.

for now tight lines

andy

Went fishing on sunday. The water had come up alot due to the rain we have had over the last few days. The rivers are out of action at the moment, big logs coming down the mitchel at the moment.

A fair bit of wind and some rain yesterday, i could see the odd carp topping out, but a lot the carp were way out cruising a half meter under the surface or less. I managed a few takes and a few fish, but it was a really slow day.

An end to thje rain would take the acreage dwon on this venue, so i can get into other areas. At the moment they are just to deep to get to. As well as there alot of snakes a round.

I have seen fish i would say would go 20 to 25lbs mark. Not many of them, but at least i know they are there.

Hopefully more success next time

tight lines to all

andy

Went fishing on sunday. The water had come up alot due to the rain we have had over the last few days. The rivers are out of action at the moment, big logs coming down the mitchel at the moment.

A fair bit of wind and some rain yesterday, i could see the odd carp topping out, but a lot the carp were way out cruising a half meter under the surface or less. I managed a few takes and a few fish, but it was a really slow day.

An end to thje rain would take the acreage dwon on this venue, so i can get into other areas. At the moment they are just to deep to get to. As well as there alot of snakes a round.

I have seen fish i would say would go 20 to 25lbs mark. Not many of them, but at least i know they are there.

tight lines to all

andy

tight lines to all

andy

• 3 weeks later...

I did not fish the long weekend due to work commitments. Instead i fished last weekend after work aftyernoon to night. I picked an area river familar to me. Which i had not fished for over a year. I have previously had carp to 12 lbs of this stretch and some doubles to keep my interest alive.

A guy i know has in the past caught carp to 23lbs from this river and this area. I think it is very much the bigger carp just don''t seem to be there a lot of the time and just seem to come into this area infrequently.

There is a many down sides to this river the amount of boat action other anglers are not plentifull, but can be a problem and it is not quite at times.

That would probally explain why i normally fish it for amonth and then pull off for a good while. I much prefer to fish quieter waters, when it is defentily me vs the fish.

Anyway on the weekend i fished float close in off 2 ledges dropping into 6 feet of water. Using the float and a light shot for weight on the other rod i fished the far margin covereing an area with overhanging trees and a good weddbed. Where i had seen some carp topping out.

Mostly i just fish basic tactics, i kept a supply of bread particles going in and fished the float over the top.

I has bites straight from the first cast and the swim was boiling with fish. After contiunally feeding bait over there heads.

I ended up with 28 and 11 carp lost and mnay other bites. This was the best number of carp[ from this stretch, but the size was very disapointing with the fish ranging from half to a pound in weight.

The leger rod i did not put much bait over and fished a running leger straight to sweetcorn on the hook. I had a series of knocks on this rod and the sweetcorn had been taken off.

There was alot of carp topping out and i even had a commorant chasing the carp by my float at one stage. I am going to keep going with this stretch by using hareder particles and rigging up my leger rod with a bigger harder bait.Also i am going to put bigger beds of bait in to keep or try to keep the smaller occupied.

I took another rod with me for spodding bait over i am thinking of using big open end feeders so that to start off the only bait out there will be my bait and the feeder bait.

Only time will tell if i strike it cold on this stretch and get a twenty out.

I have defenitly got my fishing head back on

for now tight lines

andy

• 4 weeks later...

I have been out twice in the last 3 weeks. I did not fish the easter weekend as it was mad with people a round here meaning to many boats etc.

My first trip i fish from afternoon and a few hours into the dark there was not as many fish a bout as last time and the water had gone down by 3 feet or a meter or so.

Revealing quite a few near bank snags. I floated fished the near marging and legered to a weed bed and right underneath the far bank tree margin.

The small fish were thrre straight a way the float was bouncing a bout like a cork. With continually running the float across the surface.

I tried laying on more on the bottom and feeding other areas, but the carp were there on the other rod i was using bigger particle baits on a line alinger hair rig basic rig really.

I did not plagued on this rod i fed less bait over the top. I managed 4 runs and connected with 3 fish with 1 copming away. Landing 2 fish to 3lbs not massive. On the float rod i had 10 fish and lost quite a few.

Yesterday i fished aftrenoon until afternoon dark there was no wind and hardly any carp showing. There was only 2 boats coming through in that time so that was better.

I had the odd movement on the float, but the fish were defenitly not there in the same numbers. I managed to get the fish going on the float, but the bites were missable with the small carp messing a round with the bait.

I managed 2 fish on this rod and had 3 runs on the rod fished across the far bank i hooked 1 fish on this rod. Which felt a lot better fish the fish got under the trees and i was playing it through a weed bed. The fish came out, but when i was pumping the fish in the fish must come a drift. i FISHED AFEW HOURS INTO THE dark with only the odd tap on the indicators. I am going to move up river next time to try and find some other fish. As i know there is some better fish in this river and stretch.

for now tight lines

andy

• 1 month later...

I have been crap fishing today on the river the first for for 4 or 5 weeks. Other than a spell of lure fishingh for salmon off the coast the other weekend. The river has been up this last week and half and then bcak down again. I find this section of river seems to fish well with a fgew feet of water on it.

I fished from after dinner until 10 tonight, i would have stuck it out longer, but i have work in the morning.

I saw a few carp toppping during the afternoon and managed 2 bites on the float. I fisehd deep under the float and fished bigger particles. Using hair rigged particles on the other rod to the far bank. I put in a kilo or so of mixed particles and sat over that fishing to weed beds and the far tree cover. I did not have a tap on this rod. The other rod i touched legered after dark for a few hours and them i dropped in a free running rig with the bait straight on the bottom.

There was definite signs of carp a round but i had no beeps or pulls. My first blank for a good while on the rivers, but the fish can get a bit finicky this time of year and can move out of previosly good areas.

I will have to keep popping down the river to keep and eye on it i put a few kilos of bait in tonight after i finished.

I cannot catch them at home

tight lines

for now

andy

• 3 months later...

Not been fishing for the last few months. I was giving a river section a go i had a few catches of fish. Mainly small and then the fish seem to move out of the areas i was fishing. A few floods, which made fishing impossible and to much work brings me to now.

I have a look at a couple of the rivers for the spring, summer time, which have the potential for a few decent fish. I should have some more time then so hopefully more posts and alot more fish. My target is still a ozz twenty.

For now tight lines

and big fish

stokecarper12

• 3 weeks later...

I went last week for a fishing session. I fished a known lake to me and visited a few other lakes. At one lake where i have had fairly good catches in the past i sat there for 8 hours on the leger and leger with not a bite and i did not see a fish all day. Which is very strange as the fish on this lake are up in the top layers crusing a round. Where can be quite obliging for the odd floater, but not on this day the weather was 20 to 24.c with a good wind . I took a friend over from england and put him on a good spot he had 12 fish to just under doubles and lost 4, i had 1 fish stalking.

I defentily need to try new waters as a twenty pound fish is not going to come easily.

other that day i wnet up to Cape Conron and fished my way to lakes with lures for anything that goes i did not have a bite, but it was a good day. Not to sunny and alight wind.

tight lines

andy

I finally got onto a new lake i have been looking at for a while. I saw some good fish cruising a round and someone looked quite big. Anway i fished work today. Chucking down with rain and a nioce cold wind i enjoyed that very mjuch. Anyway my friend from enagland managed a 11lbs fish 1st chuck out and a 11.8lbs next time and then a fish of 6lbs and lost a few fish. I had had a few bites and lost 2 fish in a row i just could not hit the bites i came up in the water and tried right on the bottom, but the bites were very slight. I hit one fish about 8 lbs and then hit a fish a range which bombed off all over the lake. I struggled to hold it off the snags, but managed to it looked 20lbs in the water on weighing it went 16.14lbs a new australian p.b.

I have got thr bit bewtewen my teeth now and hopefully i can get a 20lbs soon.

tight lines andy011.jpg

011.jpg