Gippsland carping

the Mitchell used to house fish like that but not really anymore. I have been eyeing off the huge swamp/lake structure that feeds into the mitchell. I've done sa bit of research on it and found the carp problem was soooo bad they have introduced environmental easures to reduce their numbers. Though i'm sure there would be some big ones in there, haven't actually been there but hoping to soon, it's in Bainsdale off Bosworth Rd. There are a few lakes and a huge morass system south of it. might be worth a trip if the problem was as bad as they say it is/was.

I have been looking at the morass area for the last year or more.

There is quite a lot of fish in there, but they are very long and lean. I have seen a few fish which would push 15lbs or more and some doubles.

There is alot of different areas on there to look at, some of the fish are just to out of range.

I was never sure if you could fish it, but the annual carp match amonth back they reported in the paper some one had taken carp from the morass. So they must have meant that area and i found carp the week after.

I fished metung and the tambo, i am going to have go of this river during the week as there is just to many people on at weekends. I don't really know alot of the potential i have seen or heard reports of fish to mid doubles, but that was a while a go.

I went up to canberra on the weekend, i had at lake burely griffin, a really nice lake. Brilliant clear sand areas to wade out and weeed a round the edge. with the polaroids i could see a goo way out.

I spotted fish to doubles, i wish i had my rod thats all.

• 2 weeks later...

Did not end up going fishing sunday and monday due to work commitments.

Went today to the river, landed 15 fish and lost 3. Had best day for a good while i only fished 6 hours.

I had 3 fish over 7lbs, one of 9.1lbs and my first double this year at 12.1lbs.

Most fish on the float over maize and bread and other particles.

Going to try and put some photos on still having trouble with the link at the moment.

Found a decent area for carp to stalk them localish, so i am going to give that a go. Seen fish to mid doubles at least so watch this space.

Do most people find that once winter is here the carp are really hard to spot as they dissappear further down in the depths?

Where did you have that big catch from on the mitchell and there really is limited bank access?

Congrats on your recent success mate!! 15 in 6hrs is good going.

Effort = Reward eh?!!

They may hold up in shallower areas under snags in slack water. Find a few and keep the bait trickling in over the winter maybe? They will feed but usually in small windows. Suss these times and you're in with a chance.

Cheers,

Ben

• 3 weeks later...

Fishing abit quite recently, due to work commitments (a real pain).

I have been baiting 2 spots for the last 3 weeks about 4 kilos odd of maize and other baits. trying to get fish going on the top so i can see and sort the better fish out.

Fish moving in within 5 minutes of baiting i went 2 weeks a go on a wet cold and very windy night for 3 hours i had 5 bites and had 4 carp to 7lbs. Which were more like chub i have never had carp so long and lean.

There is alot of fish a round, but the water level has come up and so the bigger carp can explore more areas and the access to these areas is very limited due to water, vegeatation and snakes.

I'll keep plugging away and let you know when i catch a big fish.

Defentily some photos soon cannot download from this computer at the moment.

As for line from the other debate, i use 15lbs berkley big game which can break a round the 20lbs mark. If the water is really open and no snags i might use 10lbs daiwa sensor. If it is a long distance i will use a leader on the 10lbs line.

I am glad i am not the only mad carp fisherman out there as there is no one a round this region who fishes for stuff other than brim.

I cant wait to get back over to AUS, and when I get there I am heading for the Gippsland for sure. Only a few more months to go just intime for the spring when they will be heavier and showing themselves properly after the colder weather.

So your not the only mad one from the area stokecarper. I'm just not there at the moment.

pav :shock:

Defenitly a lot of carp around in some of the rivers and lakes. I guess the big thing is trieing to find or sort out the big carp over here.

I would say round the clydebank morass area and other shallows in the spring would be worth a go, have to get the kayake to fish from and find the fish.

I have not fished lake gutheridge for a while i was having bigger catches, but just could not get through to the bigger fish.

Looking at the mitchell at the moment trieng to find or see better fish.

Mainly stalking approach or really basic tactics.

Fishing a back arm off a river at the moment, i defenitly think it has the potential of a twenty, just need to more time in.

So your not the only mad one from the area stokecarper. I'm just not there at the moment.

pav :shock:

Me and Andy aka "Niblet" from WA certainly fit into that category.

http://www.carpfishingblog.com/fishing-for-koi-carp/koi-capers

Sadly there are no Commons, Mirrors or Leathers over hear but the Koi keep us both entertained for the time being.

Hopefully later on this year if all goes to plan we shall be visting Melbourne, me on work duties[2 & 2 roster in Bass Strait] and both of us together for a visit to get a bend in a rod or two.

I was based in Melbourne for 13 1/2 years until we defected to the west 5 years ago and dangled a hair in a few places.

So keeps those swims warmed up lads and if the timing is right would be nice to catch up for a session or two.

Let your runs be screamers and your fish be whackers.

Tight lines Nails & Niblet

First time fishing for 3 weeks, i have baited an area off the main river for 2 days as there is quite alot of carp a round due to all the rain we have had and they are feeding on or what is in the muddy water.

I fished at dusk and a few hours in just touch legering i had 7 carp to 6lbs including my first mirror carp from over here and lost 3 fish.

Going to have to don the poloroids and get a float on and go and find the bigger fish or drop bait right on there noses.

for now tight lines

I fished sunday on the river the first time on this stretch for a month or so. I had 15 fish last time to 12lbs, but on sunday there was not much sho0wing and there was some water on it making it really brown in colour.

I float fished the margins and never had a bite or hardly saw a fish.

I managed 5 fish to 7lbs and missed a drop back, but really had to work for it.

I had real problems getting bait out as maize ansd normal swetcorn does not go out well.

I have got bait rockets over here for the initial baiting if i need to. What i was thinking of using waas feeders. Does any one know do they sale thekm over here or on a website in australia?

If jnot i will have to make my own the open end feeder type i am on about.

Defentily next time i fish i will go and have a good walk of the stretch first and try6 and find some carp as they seem to havew moveed, even though i was fishiong is perfect for this time of year near a marina with plenty of boats in not to fast flowing etc.

I guess like back in u.k oncanals and rivers the fish can just suddenely move on mass.

for now tight lines

Hello Stokecarper good to hear your doing some fishing and getting results, the biggun cant be far away. you can definately get feeders here as ive seen them in alot of tackle shops, otherwise get yourself some pva bags from the UK, they are cheap to have sent as they weigh very little.

Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...

Went down to the river 2 weeks a go the river wass still slightly up and more murky than normal. I fished further up stream than i have before.

I baitrocketed maize across the river and fished a weed bed which was close to the far bank and a good row of snags and over hanging trees.

A few fished topped over this rod but i idid not have a bite. I floated fished in 6 feet of water over maize and mashed bread there was afew carp a round, but they seemed to be after flies on the surface i had 2 times the float slightly dragged across the surface and then stopped.

I just could not geta decent bite or feel any fish, when i flet down for the fish that moved the float.

Hopefully going to go another stretch of river this wekend, weather assissted as i don't want to be under a brolly i fnd to be on the move is better at the moment to find the fish and get a few out.

As most fish are not obvious to spot to stalk or lay down a carpet of bait to get them going.

Am i the only one who struggles to find the fish this time of year?

Went down to the river 2 weeks a go the river wass still slightly up and more murky than normal. I fished further up stream than i have before.

Am i the only one who struggles to find the fish this time of year?

A bit of food for thought Stoke, with the influx of water recently and the level being up there is a posibility that the fish are having a good old nosh on the naturals that are available, worms, yabbies, bugs and the like that have been washed down, may be it could be worth going down stream instead as the fish will certainly congregating if river is in flood, also may be worth leaving the river for a week or two until things settle down and a bit of clarity comes back in the water[try a lake or two] instead.

Recently got some of those Hiviz[lumo] extra large pop up maize that seem to be doing the bizzo over here in the west on the Koi. I,ve been soaking them in a maple syrup glug and using them with a single grain of maize.

Not blanked on them yet.

Same with the maize, once cooked and still hot, pour in the maple syrup, as they cool they take on the flavor.

We had a shocker of a summer, could,nt even buy a fish when it was stinking hot, I think they go right off the feed when its like that.

We are the opposite over here, when the rains come it seems to fire up the koi into feeding, higher oxygen levels and cooler temperatures especially after a long hot summer this year, its going to be a good season for us, I hope.

Tight lines

Nails

fished today the afternoon off the main river, like a slow moving drain.

I had over 30 bites touch legering and float fishing i missed quite a few when i felt the fish on my finger ant then it dropped it. I HAD 5 FISH COME A DRIFT STRAIGHT A way and had 1 come off at trhe net.

I landed 10 fish to 7.8lbs so no0t to bad a day. I am going to stalk the fish even though not alot is showing at the moment accept for the odd floater i put on.

for now tight lines

• 2 weeks later...

Only just got my computer back up and running so hopefully i can put photos on now.

I fished today and last week i had 9 fish today and lost a few, it was hard going for bites even considering it is really mild here tonight and the bit i fished in the dark, but it was -1.oc last night.

I had 5 fish last week and it was really tough the fish are wising up a bit and are very spooky when you creep in close to them to stalk.

I have not seen any big fish over 10lbs is big for me at the moment, i am a bit limited where i can get to on the waters i am fishing at the moment.

So the carp can disappear easily into the sedges/reeds easily, i am baiting at least one day a week.

But i am only stalking with one rod as it is a 20 minute walk to the ares i fish, so i have to cut the gear down.

For now tight lines

Has any one ideas on baiting methods to sort out better fish.

I know or have read tony miles articles on chub and barbel in the u.k and fred wilton baiting pyramid theory on Savay.

I just don't know with the amount of smaller fish if it would work.

ie keep the bait going over along period of time in the hope that the bigger carp will push the smaller carp out over time for the competition for food.

I had success on the rivers for bigger chub on the rivers back home and some success for carp in the past.

Any ideas would be appreaciated?

Or i guess i just have to wait for the brighter days and go and stalk the fish with the polaroids on.

Stoke....mate.....those are some nice photos, where you been hiding all of 'em?!!

That looks rather nice fishing down there, room to move!

Is it bucket between the legs in that kayak when you bait up? Must make paddling a bit difficult!

What kind of distance do you fish at?

Great to see photos up mate, really gives a feel to your campaigning. Noice!!

Love that Wellington photo.

Ben

It is bucket between the legs sometimes. Or i use a dou8ble kayake and put all the stuff in the front.

100 yards + sometimes dependant, i try to keep the distance down, as sometimes i have put baits out and had instant runs or messing about and wound in a 2lbs carp annoying sometimes. Like tench 2 in the moring back home trting to plug your bait off.