Hair length

scoobydoo222

When it warms up I am going to be fishing tiger nuts over a bed of hemp, tares, maples etc. I normally prefer a long(ish) hair when fishing boilies, but working on the principle that carp will probably "graze" over a large bed of particles (hoovering them up) as opposed to them taking individual boilies and moving to the next one, would I be better using a shorter hair with the nut just off the hook ? Any thoughts appreciated

I think the length of the hooklink itself has more to do with hooking ability over particles, especially with regard to straightening and setting the hook against the lead. I keep my hairs the same length, normally around a 2cm separation of bait and hook, but I shorten the hooklinks themselves down from about 9-10" for a boilie approach to 4-5" at the most for particles.

When it warms up I am going to be fishing tiger nuts over a bed of hemp, tares, maples etc. I normally prefer a long(ish) hair when fishing boilies, but working on the principle that carp will probably "graze" over a large bed of particles (hoovering them up) as opposed to them taking individual boilies and moving to the next one, would I be better using a shorter hair with the nut just off the hook ? Any thoughts appreciated

I would keep the bait a bit tighter to the hook for particles too mate :)