bluebell lakes

Bluebell Lakes, Uum. Yes certainly a very big fish venue, that is Kingfisher and Swan, but also very, very, very difficult and expensive. Ok if you are a very experienced and capable angler looking for that 40 plus fish then yes a good choice.

However I get the idea from your post that you are looking for some good sport from double figure fish with the possibility of a few 20 to 30’s, if so I would suggest Gerard’s Maxey near Peterborough. http://www.gerardscarplake.co.uk/

In the past much maligned as a match lake, but now has matured into a very good carp fishery. Whilst still to be regarded as a runs water it does hold a lot of high doubles and some fish to 30+. Add to that very comfortable and big dug out swims (plenty of room to put your bivvie) and a quite pleasant atmosphere, I have to recommend it.

Fishing is available on day ticket @ £6.50 7am till 9pm (Two rods) and also on a syndicate basis, however if you give Rosemary a call on 01733 252243 or 07718971900 or Dave on 07847393636, a 48 hour session can be arranged, and at a price at about a quarter of that at Bluebell.

As for the fishing, all the swims produce fish, but as always good watercraft will help you no end. In general though, swims 12 to 18 are very popular as are 25 to 35, the corner swims are good too, always watch the wind though (west is best east is least), fish the end or bank the wind is blowing to. Swim 20 is my favourite, right in the north east corner.

Bait, a critical factor in how your session will turn out, forget boilies, small round hard things they are defiantly wised up to. Use them if you like but I recommend paste. I make mine as follows, 1 teacup full of bread crumbs (dried liquidised white bread), 1 teacup full of liquidised trout pellets, 1 large egg and 4 tablespoons of water or liquid from vacuum flask prepared hemp. Do Not be tempted to put anything else in it! Well you can if you like but that’s up to you.

Rigs, (I do hate that word), you are pretty much limited to some kind of bolt rig, running rigs will result in you getting twitch bites which you will find very difficult to connect with! Hook links are better short 100 to 125mm (4 to 5 inches), any longer and you will get those 200mm slow pull takes which are also very difficult to hit. Some are getting fish on bump rigs, well 25 years ago I called them bump rigs, these days they seem to have been reinvented to be called shockers, oh well! Just keep them short.

The only other advice I can give is that I use PVA mesh packets, the 30mm diameter ones. The mix I put in is 50/50 hemp and liquidised trout pellets, mix it in an inflated poly bag at least 2 hours before using it or it will melt your PVA!

Finally, I ask you Not to use braid hook links, they do cut the poor fishes mouth so, helicopter rigs are not allowed, please make sure that any rig will drop the lead in the event of a line break. If you are allowed vehicle access, drive slowly and carefully and do not shine your headlights into other peoples swim!

Best Regards and Tight Lines, mickt..

< View previous topic :: View next topic >

richardnotts

Posted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:20 pm Post subject: benson

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

people here about the captures of the big fish at bluebell lakes but they dont here about the ones that get hooked played and lost.big fish have to eat to substain there weight.they getting hooked and lost more than you think.the fish at bluebell grow very fast as the ph levells are very good. it is still the best fishery in the uk. theres loads of back up fish there .best wishes to dave the bailiff and tony.rip benson[/b]