Coventry canal

I live near Tamworth and often take my German Shepherd for a walk over to Hopwas. The Coventry canal runs through there and i was wondering if anybody has fished the Cov canal for carp around that area. As i walk the dog there are so many carp holding places but im not sure if there are any carpio's in the canal, Can anybody help?

Yes there are carp in the canal by hopwas mate. I've not fished there myself but i know they get caught there. I've caught them out the coventry canal in nuneaton and also by fradley, nothing massive biggest probably 15lb but there are 20s about. Let me know if you fancy doing a session sometime as im not keen doing nights on the canal on my own :)

Well ive fished the canals now for about 4 years and not once have a been asked for any money lol. 10 years ago there was matches on the canals every week and people used to own all the stretches but now i think they have moved onto the commercial lakes. The one canal by me says that an angling club owns it and its £5 per year but ive still not seen anyone to buy a ticket off. I'd just fish it mate unless theres any signs saying private. The only stretch i know thats private is in huddlsford near whittington and thats owned by the BAA.

I dont know about your area mate but i live right next to the canal in coventry and there are huge carp here which very very rarely get fished for, the best thing to do is prebait an area you like for a month or 6 weeks at the same time everyday, i'm doing this at the moment just before it gets dark, the fish will eventually find the bait and keep coming back and feeding with confidence, then when you've done this night fish it cuz you got no chance in the day, a guy by me did this and blanked the first 2 nights, the 3rd night he had a 7lb and 22lb fish and the 4th night he had a 17 and 27, not bad for a months work, all these fish were caught between 3 and 4 in the morning. the guy who owns our local tackle shop which is right next to the canal has seen them much bigger, its exciting because your fishing for the unknown, hope this helps.

I dont know about your area mate but i live right next to the canal in coventry and there are huge carp here which very very rarely get fished for, the best thing to do is prebait an area you like for a month or 6 weeks at the same time everyday, i'm doing this at the moment just before it gets dark, the fish will eventually find the bait and keep coming back and feeding with confidence, then when you've done this night fish it cuz you got no chance in the day, a guy by me did this and blanked the first 2 nights, the 3rd night he had a 7lb and 22lb fish and the 4th night he had a 17 and 27, not bad for a months work, all these fish were caught between 3 and 4 in the morning. the guy who owns our local tackle shop which is right next to the canal has seen them much bigger, its exciting because your fishing for the unknown, hope this helps.

Nice 1 snag, welcome to the forum, will give it ago for sure, never fished for canal carp, just a thought, how wide is the canal where you are snag? its about 9-12m wide where i am looking at.

hello guys ty for your welcomes, yeah the canal by me is roughly the same width, some places wider some slightly narrower, as for the other question, those carp were caught round the corner just past tussies, but have seen carp throughout the canal, from the longford bridge by me all the way along and past the tackle shop, also seen alot of activity directly behind the footy stadium where there are a few pegs on the other side, as i say i just started baiting, havn't night fished it yet so this is as new to me as some of you guys but been given loads of advice and feel very confident that if the effort go's in i will get my rewards, the only downside to this is the idiots that use the canal in the dark, i.e the drunks. If anyone fancies giving it a bash with me in the next month to 6 weeks by all means pm me, or maybe get a group thing going.

you are probably right snag , best not be alone in the dark down there LOL. seriously though it would be better for a couple or three going down for the night . me and my brother and 4 of our mates might be into it . let us know your plans if and when

Ive not long been back from 4 tours of Afghanistan as a close protection officer and sniper, life here is to quite now, so i am definitely in!!!!! :lol:

Well i didnt expect that much response, i've been wanting to do this for ages, with the amount of people interested surely 1 of us is gonna catch 1, we'll have to sort this out properly if this many are interested, all meet up 1 night and plan it, what i will say is we gotta be dead quiet or we aint gonna catch a thing, and no alcohol, you get away with a little noise on a lake but this is a different ball game, are all you other guys from cov except the chap from tamworth ?

i am a coventrian. born and bred. now live nuneaton way tho.

i always have a tinny or two when im on the nightfish mate, its my way of unwinding. obviously not [censored]ed on the bank , but we always take a four pack with us. Goes without saying that wed need to be quiet.

Snag im up for it, lets try and arrange something for later in August

i am a coventrian. born and bred. now live nuneaton way tho.

i always have a tinny or two when im on the nightfish mate, its my way of unwinding. obviously not [censored] on the bank , but we always take a four pack with us. Goes without saying that wed need to be quiet.

Snag im up for it, lets try and arrange something for later in August

I normally take a few more than that and a BBQ, I take my fishing very seriously and believe me snag, if anyone is noisy i will be the first to tell em.

Is the canal near you busy then cause the stretch in hopwas would be pretty quit? Can you imagine all of us going at once! the people around there wouldn't know what hit em!!!!!!!!!! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

• 2 weeks later...

hello guys, sorry aint been on for over a week been mega busy workin silly hours, wasn't havin a dig at any1 regardin beer just experiences with people in the past, i'm well up for doin this though, if the people who wanna do this wanna meet up this week 1 night lets put the ball in motion, right wheres easier for every1 to meet, some1 name a pub. i know most pubs so it don't matter to me