should i use fluorocarbon hooklinks

carperdude3d

Fish with what you have confidence in.

I don't often use fluorocarbon for hooklinks as I am Confident in Braids and Coated Braids.

Have a look at the Carp Fishing is simple thread, there is a picture of one of my rigs on there.

Fished on Monday for a day session, three rods all with the same bait, same hook and same rig set up except hooklink. One flouro, one slow sinking braid and one coated braid (combi rig) the hoohlength were all the same..etc.. Just one fish out .. smallish at about 9Lb.. guess which rig.. yep the flouro..hmmmm:cool: Infact only one rod had any interest shown and that was the flouro..having two half runs..before she went away..8)

I tend to use flourocarbon (10lb IQ) for most of my fishing, and have never had any issues with reliability. For me it does exactly what I want:

1) Nearly invisible in water

2) Heavier than water so sinks well

3) Relatively stiff so prevents tangles

I have also moved over to using a (heavier) flourocarbon leaders behind the lead for the very same reasons. After watching the Korda Underwater DVD I wanted any edge I could get!!!

Joshmac, you need to qualify that statement.

Maybe you don't tie your knots carefully enough, you may need to find the brand of Fluorocarbon that suits you. You may even be using the wrong knot for fluorocarbon lines. If you use the wrong knot it will fracture and break at the knot, or even if you don't tighten your knots carefully enough.

I have had no problems with it, always use either the loop knot on Kryston packaging or a Uni knot and lubricate and tighten my knots very carefully and slowly.

floroucarbon is rubbish. i will neva trust it agen. i has the worst knot strength iv ever seen

Utter rubbish. I use fluorocarbon for all of my fishing. I have landed barbel to 14lbs using it and carp to mid twentys. I have hooked river carp in a fast flowing river that were in excess of 40lb's (i had them right upto the bank) and the knot strength was never the thing that failed me, it has always been the line snapping that has caused me problems never the knot slipping. You obviously are not used to tying Knots in fluorocarbon. Don't just take what everyone says as the gospel truth use it a little bit more and you will soon learn that fluorocarbon has a high knot strength. :wink:

• 3 weeks later...

floroucarbon is rubbish. i will neva trust it agen. i has the worst knot strength iv ever seen

:o:rolleyes: :rolleyes: , that is not true at all. what knot are you using with it? and what flurocarbon was it? I have been using the ghost flurocarbon and have never had no problems with it. I use it in 12lb breaking strain and have landed carp up to 26lb on it. I Dont feel confident using any thing but flurocarbon in the day as i think it stands out alot less that what braid does. But hey evryone has different opinions.:)

I no longer use flurocarbon as the breaking strain is rarely what its suppose to be. I know a fishing shop in Milton Keynes that refused to stock it until the problem was sorted and was reccomending drennan double strength. I fly fish (don't slate me) as well and i've had breaks on the fluoro there as well.

Any fisherman has to be confident and if you are happy with it crack on.. i wouldn't risk losing a PB .. I really think its that bad!

I no longer use flurocarbon as the breaking strain is rarely what its suppose to be. I know a fishing shop in Milton Keynes that refused to stock it until the problem was sorted and was reccomending drennan double strength. I fly fish (don't slate me) as well and i've had breaks on the fluoro there as well.

Any fisherman has to be confident and if you are happy with it crack on.. i wouldn't risk losing a PB .. I really think its that bad!

Fair opinion, at least you give a reason for disliking it.

Fly fisherman huh?:P Nothing wrong with that, been known to fling a few feathers and fur about myself.

For leaders for that I use Drennan Double strength or their Flyline Mono. I have also used Clear Amnesia when attaching a wire trace for Fly Fishing for Pike. Like you I worry about the fracture caused by the Fluorocarbon twisting over itself.

I think the problem with Fluorocarbon is that there are so many different types/brands and all have different recommendations as to knots and BS. The same line from 2 Suppliers could have 2 different Breaking Strains dependant on who is marketing it.:D

Its just finding out what suits you, and that can get expensive. :rolleyes::confused:

wot about korda hybrid, what do you think about that?

I, me, personally have never used it, and after watching a close friend of mine lose a big fish on it when it sheared under pressure I won't.

He had played a fish out from under Lilies and then for no apprent reason it just gave way in open water. He later put a Carp on the bank from exactly the same spot that was 20lbs+ that Fought exactly the same. The fish he landed was caught on a 15lb Amnesia hooklink.

• 2 weeks later...