chasewater

I have read of one cat coming out a few years ago, have done a bit of piking on there and never heard of another cat coming out.

Now the carp are deffo there as i was watching a group of nice fish last year all of them were 20lb+. Still it's a big old sheet of water to get stuck into and a real challenge.

• 1 month later...
ok chaps, bardag own the chase. They have stocked fairly well with carp mainly doubles but good head of 20s plus 30s. There is atleast 2 cats in there at last weight i heard 38lb i believe.Its not easy though gents :)
We aint on about your water mate, we are talking about Chasewater in Cannock Staffordshire a 240 acre res.

I saw some carp on the surface in the bay between the yacht club and the damn wall. I guess there were about 6-8 of them, not monsters, I guess maybe upto 20lb mark, but lean looking. I had some dog treats in my pocket ( was walking the dog ) and threw a couple out but all it did was spook them and they swam off. I was surprised to see them as I go to chasewater quite often and only ever hear about the pike fishing, and I've never heard of a cat coming out of there.

Hi, I,m hoping to do a few days on here soon as Ihave some time off work and might be doing a night on here this weekend with 5 or 6 mates but we are going to try different pegs this time and try to cover more water. Does anybody think it will be a good idea to prebait a swim for a few days prior to fishing? Im not really sure if prebaiting on such a big water is effective with all the birdlife? With regard to the catfish as I,ve mentioned before I,ve lived close to Chasewater all my life and I,ve heard the storys about catfish but dont know of any that have come out and Italk to a lot of pike anglers from young lads to the old blokes in the pub who remember it covered in tyres during the war and surely over the years someone would have known of at least one coming out ?? A bit of bonus info for you aswell , one of my customers has direct dealings with one of the guys at Lichfield council and the water levels have been reduced immensely to allow for repairs to the dam wall and the powers that be are considering leaving the water levels low to allow for the wildlife and so people can walk around the shores of the pool ! This is good news for us anglers as theres alot less water to cover now :lol: maybe not good news for spawning fish though as it means less cover from all the pike :cry:

I reckon the stories of cats are all bullcrap, as for popped up worms i can see a bream having them before very long.

Me too but i wouldnt be suprised if it was drained there was a couple knocking about. Seen a massive Eel when i was younger biggest ive ever seen, thick as your arm. Also the big perch that used to be under the pier was amazing.

We're talking about a 200+ acre stretch of water that's never really been Heavily fished, who knows what's in there !

It used to get heavily fished about 14 years ago when i was at school. Me and my mate used to go at 4am every weekend just so we could get a spot on the pier as it got that full. Even all along the dam wall used to get full. Alot of the time too you could see straight to the bottom 15ft+ deep and see tons of roach,perch and pike.

I reckon the stories of cats are all bullcrap, as for popped up worms i can see a bream having them before very long.
Again as strange as it might seem I,ve never heard of any bream coming out either and there aint none in jeffreys swag which flows into it ! I,d agree with Paul with regards to it being heavily fished years ago and I can remember competitions on these pools and there was always anglers on here on a weekend cause me and my mates used to go over all the time and sit and watch them. I think this is what triggered my fishing habit today well that and a nagging missus :wink: For some reason when the opencast mine between norton and heath hayes was being dug a lot of brown sludge worked its way into these pools and it left a heavy dirty sediment on the bottom and it was around this time that the fishing seemed to go really poor on here! Its only been the last few years that the fishing on here has got much better and its now possible to catch roach and perch again. Last year me and my mate had a keepnet full of fish on the pole which is something you would not have done over the last 10 years or so! The only fish Iknow that reside in these pools are roach,perch,tench,eel,pike and carp. I also remember big bullheads and crayfish but these dont seem to have returned.

Again as strange as it might seem I,ve never heard of any bream coming out either and there aint none in jeffreys swag which flows into it ! I,d agree with Paul with regards to it being heavily fished years ago and I can remember competitions on these pools and there was always anglers on here on a weekend cause me and my mates used to go over all the time and sit and watch them. I think this is what triggered my fishing habit today well that and a nagging missus :wink: For some reason when the opencast mine between norton and heath hayes was being dug a lot of brown sludge worked its way into these pools and it left a heavy dirty sediment on the bottom and it was around this time that the fishing seemed to go really poor on here! Its only been the last few years that the fishing on here has got much better and its now possible to catch roach and perch again. Last year me and my mate had a keepnet full of fish on the pole which is something you would not have done over the last 10 years or so! The only fish Iknow that reside in these pools are roach,perch,tench,eel,pike and carp. I also remember big bullheads and crayfish but these dont seem to have returned.

Gingerpike from off here caught some bream last year and thats the 1st i've heard of anyone catching that i belive. I would imagine theres some nice big shoals of bream like dusbin lids. As for the fishing going poor i think the rare birds have got alot to do with it as there wasn't that many years ago, but as the climate is getting warmer they are coming over in flocks. The council should improve the fishing somehow because it did used to be a fantastic coarse fishery.

I dont think its the birdlife on here cause over the last 3 years the fishing on here is getting better and better I reckon it just needs to be fished more. Going back onto the carp I,m going to fish about 200 yards down from the speedboat club and as your a local lad Paul you reckon its worth prebaiting or will it be as waste of time and bait with so much birdlife on here?? cheers mate :)

There are some very big lumps(Carp) in there, I have walked along the Norton bank in the summer and seen a few up to and may be above 30+, I think if you wanted to have a go at them you would have to do a lot of home work on the lake and find out where the Carp spend most of the time, it is such a vast water,

A very well know angler lives very close to Chasewater in fact his back garden backs onto it and he has told me of the Carp that live in there,

Regards Catfish, I have heard whispers about them and as I say it is such a vast water anything is possible, there was once a whisper of record Perch being in there,

The res on our club ticket was all talk about big Catfish being in there and not many people took any notice and thought it as being a fishermans tale but the last 12 months has seen v,small Cats being caught so they must have been in there all the time and bred....