rig safety

binfield

i had read about this rig but it was set up using a leader. It does sound like it would be quite effective. I just wasnt sure about the bead to stop the lead. With the leader set up the book said use a bait needle to get the bead on to the leader which made me think it wouldnt drop the lead if you got a break off . I dont use leaders so have never used ther shocker rig.

this is rig i would like to try. Does the bore of the bead have to be bigger than the float stop?.

No Less, as the stop will pull off very easily, as I said, after a take the stop has moved 2ft up the main line, but has enough resistance to be a true bolt rig!

Have been playing with a rig like this and waiting for the weather to get a bit better... I'm going to try 2 float stops for a little bit more resistance. For lead I'm going to try a 3oz, possibly attached to the bead by a paperclip for extra safety.

edit: What I have noticed is that the stop bead between the swivel bead and the float stops can cause the line to bend when it slams against the float stops. This seems to greatly increase the force required to slide the float stops.

This is only the case if the stop bead is small enough to fit partly inside the large bore of the swivel bead. A larger stop bead with a small inner diameter(just larger than the line but small enough to get caught on the float stops) doesn't have this problem.

No rig is 100% safe as even a short length of trailing line may become snagged at some stage, float stops, beads and tubing all become much harder to slide off a line when clogged with weed or bottom debris.

Why don’t tackle companies start to work on rust out hooks like the South African shark hooks that break down in water after a week or less, I know the saltwater help but things rust in fresh water quickly too. We are all told to change hooks regularly so they are a cheap throw away item anyway.

I'm all for as simple as you can get it.

I know that I used Leadcore in the past, but after some opinions on here I started thinking about the risks, and did some experiments, which forced me to drop the stuff. Same with Leaders I now try to avoid them as much as possible. The only need in my view for a Leader is for Long Distance when you need to whack it out max distance, which at the moment I don't need to do

To me the safest set-up is simply a Lead on a Run Ring running up the line (or tubing for that little piece of abrasion protection and anti tangle).

I don't usually use a Shocker set-up, not much need as once a fish is running its in the net fish playing capabilities withstanding.

So I'm now Hook on hooklink to swivel, Running lead on tubing, which can break free in the event of a snap-off.

Simples!

www.comparethemeerkat.com :P:roll:

Have been playing with a rig like this and waiting for the weather to get a bit better... I'm going to try 2 float stops for a little bit more resistance. For lead I'm going to try a 3oz, possibly attached to the bead by a paperclip for extra safety.

I had luck pretty quickly with this setup tonight, except I used 2oz of lead.

Link to thread with pic of fish:

https://forum.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?p=431391#431391

I must say that KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) is what I embrace this days. After Reading Nick's test about leadcore I've stoped using the thing completely.

To me the running rig is the safest rig that was ever invented. No leader, no beads, nothing that could harm the fish in any way.

Everyone likes to think that his rig is safe but there are manny out there that make their rigs after they heard someone has caught a biggie on the latest wonder rig.

I've allready found 3 death rigs at my lake and it's only the beginig of the seasson. ( here it is anyway).

Sorry if it's a bit of a rambling, but had to get it of my chest.

Tight lines, Mihai!

After a 2 hour chat with my friend tonight about safe rigs or rig,

we came to the conclusion that there is no such thing as a 100% safe rig, even a pure running is not safe, imagine a break or cut off above the lead that gets snagged or tangled above the lead will not allow the lead or rig to come free, all we can do in reality is use the safest and simplest rigs possible!

we came to the conclusion that there is no such thing as a 100% safe rig, even a pure running is not safe, imagine a break or cut off above the lead that gets snagged or tangled above the lead will not allow the lead or rig to come free, all we can do in reality is use the safest and simplest rigs possible!

Correct mate. And if people are still worried they shouldn't be fishing, maybe take up knitting or something :D

Correct mate. And if people are still worried they shouldn't be fishing, maybe take up knitting or something :D

It is as making it as safe as possible. I know that accidents happen, in any form of fishing, whether that is a deep sea trawler who gets his net snagged on the Sea bed, to a Rod and Line angler snap-off that leaves line trailing, both are in reality still fishing.

As for using a Running lead in Snaggy waters I know at times I still need to do so, but in that case I attach the Lead to a Paperclip to the Run Ring. The Paperclip will open out and release the Lead.

It is far better in my mind to have a fish that is not trailing a lead then at least it has a chance to eject the hook through that callous forming.

Paul,

by the way, a sewing needle is a "pure" clean object, so that may actually stay in the skin, whereas a hook that embeds is covered in other junk, and usually gets rejected

It seems there is a lot of interest in running rigs again over the last couple of months.

Not before time either IMO. I've never liked the clip idea having found them to be pretty unreliable.

As for lead core, well despite the comics having pushed its use for the last few years, using it has never struck me as being very safe.

Just in terms of using running rigs in weedy situations, try tying the lead to the running ring, using 2 or 3lb bs line. It doesn't take much for the lead to break free, especially in dense weed :D