Stick to a rig i'm confident with or experiment?

lashy147

If you look at the articals in magazines like total carp, then you will see that people use a simple no knot rig. If you have confidance in something as important as rigs and you are still catching fish then why change. Old wise saying 'if it's not broke don't fix it'

Very wise words!

Keep it simple, less to go wrong and build your confidence up, on harder waters start the same as you can always "tweak" the rig a little if need be latter :wink:

i pretty much always use 3 rods so i if i want to try a new rig ill put it on one and see how it goes i dont get tremondous time on the bank so want to try new things but dont want to waste a day

same thing with a new bait really

confidence in your rig is looking good on the bottom is a big thing for me

I only use two main rigs, a standard bottom bait rig and a pop up rig, both of which are extremely simple. Should i keep to these or try out new types of rigs, will this improve my chance of catching?

Are your rigs catching?

If yes then keep using them.

If you start to find that results dry up then you may need to adapt, but bear in mind the effectiveness of your rigs can depend on how or what you feed, just by increasing the free bait may make them effective again.

Have a read :wink:

https://forum.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=37416

https://forum.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=9536&highlight=complicated+rigs

THere are many reasons why you may need to change-

The bottom you are fishing on

How the carp Feed

What bait you are using

Your baiting method

etc etc etc

If what you are doing is working then dont change it however if you change your style of bait and baiting up you may need to make dramatic changes to your rig and so on.

Dont change what you are doing until you have to :)

The lake i am currently fishing has a very very silty bottom, do you recommend a specific type of rig for this?

One that gets the bait where the fish feed!

It may be on top of the silt if it is the thick black stinky stuff, or it may be in it if it is rich in Natural food, more "brown" silt.

And no I don't always think that the Silt/Helicopter Rig is best, it can be worth using longer braided hooklinks

If you have a play with the search facility, I reckon that there are few Silt Fishing threads about :wink:

Personally i am similar to you i use two rigs mainly one for bottom baits and one for pop ups. Both have been refined slightly over the years through changing hook patern or hooklink, addition or tube and shrink tube but there basically simple rigs that work and i confident on. I tend to just refine my rigs not change them completly. By that i mean increse length hair the length of hooklink if i struggling hook pulls or missed takes.

there is no gravel bars, the carp tend to accumulate near snaggy areas, im unsure about the silt, i would imagine in and around the silt, casting a heavy lead would cause it to sink in to the silt, and people are catching.

Use a 12" hook-link with a hook set up that you are confident in and see how it goes. if you aren't getting bites make it longer or shorter and see what works :)

Also- i would avoid inline leads unless the carp are feeding in the silt :)

I would recommend the brown fox cortex coated braid for your hook-link choice :)

You can never really say for certain and you will need to experiment :)

there is no gravel bars, the carp tend to accumulate near snaggy areas, im unsure about the silt, i would imagine in and around the silt, casting a heavy lead would cause it to sink in to the silt, and people are catching.

Use a 12" hook-link with a hook set up that you are confident in and see how it goes. if you aren't getting bites make it longer or shorter and see what works :)

Also- i would avoid inline leads unless the carp are feeding in the silt :)

I would recommend the brown fox cortex coated braid for your hook-link choice :)

You can never really say for certain and you will need to experiment :)

Ok, thanks alot i will experiment next time i go (saturday) i'll use a bait im confident with (that i now catches) then alter the rig.