spade ends

northernlad

sorry if this sounds like a daft question but how do you tie spade end hooks?

i am from a sea fishing background so i really honestly have got a clue on how to tie them , i am used to tying 4/0 eyed hooks and having a little bit of trouble tying a spade end hook.

i know you can get the eyed hooks but have been given a few packs of the spade ends and don't want to spend any more money.

cheers in advance.

Practice with a big nail and piece of string or something abit bigger that a hook and line, you will soon get the hang of it, it is also alot quicker than useing a hook tyer, or am i just blowing my own trumpet :shock::wink::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I can tie them with out it, but I still prefer a Hook Tyer to get the loops right.

I've seen John Wilson tie a size16 spade end behind his back :shock::?8)

What's the advantage, if any, of using spade end hooks?

I prefer the spade ends if i'm using smaller hooks, my thinking is that the knot is more discreet than that on an eyed hook. normal eyed hooks just seem a bit bulky if im using a light float setup. Im sure there's probably a more technical reason than that for there use though?

Practice with a big nail and piece of string or something abit bigger that a hook and line, you will soon get the hang of it, it is also alot quicker than useing a hook tyer, or am i just blowing my own trumpet :shock::wink::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I can tie them with out it, but I still prefer a Hook Tyer to get the loops right.

I've seen John Wilson tie a size16 spade end behind his back :shock::?8)

I would like to see John tie up a 26 behind his back :lol: infact I would like to see him tie one without glasses :lol: