Flying Backleads and Running Rigs

natty

I want to start using flying backleads to keep the main line pinned down. I am currently using running rigs and don't plan to change.

I am fishing small waters and don't need to cast more than about 30 yards.

For my set up at the moment, I am threading on the lead (connected to a run rig big eye safety clip) onto my mainline, i then have a korda run rig rubber. Next, I have my hooklength tied on with a size 8 swivel which locks into the run rig rubber. On my hooklength i have a korda anti-tangle sleeve (to help prevent tangles).

I have had no problems with tangles using this set up and therefore I don't really want to start using tubing or leaders on my mainline.

Can I use flying backleads effectively without tubing or leaders with my current running rig set up?

Any info would be great :D

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes mate you can, get some float stops and some small "hard" plastic beads (4mm) then when setting up slide your flying back lead on, then the plastic bead followed by your float stop, then set us as you normally would, the reason for useing hard plastic beads instead of rubber, is that i found that a rubber bead can be forced over the float stop and can lock everything up solid, stopping the run ring comeing free if your line breaks, where as a solid bead will force the float stop off :wink:

• 2 months later...

Tip!

Never use a shot on the line or rig! Why? Coz it can crimp and cause a flat spot that WILL weaken the line or link!

Better to use 0.5mm silicone on the line or link, then add your shot, with plyers if you wish, as this will not crimp and is easialy changable :idea:

Guest hairymary123

I have used Kryston's Heavy Metal in the past. I find it slides up and down the line/hook link, and after a few sessions loses its' moulding properties.

But as stated, shot can crimp the line; therefore I only use it for balancing pop-ups when using a Snakebite hook link.

I prefer the use of conventional back leads, but I know these can fall off when using a braided mainline.

Guest hairymary123
you only want to be using it once per sesh as a stopper on main line dont you??????

also I use it and never have a problem with it slipping?

Maybe you arnt moulding it correctly?

Once per sesh? I cast a few more times than that, and tend to leave my lines in the water.

Depth chargers are another option.

you culd also try using a split shot with a rubber bead ast then if y whant to take it off and dont whant to take everything elso of you now you can and just slid the bead down to your lead

This is a VERY bad idea as the shot will lock the lead onto the line, meaning the rig wouldn't be safe, so a fish could end up towing around a lead, which could end up in the death of a fish.

So where is the main casting weight then? Is that not below the shot? Will it not be trapped by the swivel and the shotin the event of a crack off?

:shock:

If the lead and the hooklength cannot part on the event of a crack offthen it is not a safe rig. The lead clip is designed to eject the lead, a helicopter rig will not retain the hooklength if the line breaks as the beads that hold it in place should pull free. :x:roll: