makings fishery, wolvey.

thanks. yes, its my first season carp fishing and its nice to catch so i get better. i havent got into the doubles yet and im hoping i will by the end of the year. i went to blue bell lakes for 48hs and didnt catch a thing so its nice knowing i will catch going to makings runs water. but i will go back to blue bell when im ready

• 5 months later...

i spoke with owner last week he is from sheffield a big angler with money and has great plans over next two years for makins but would,t say what they were yet he has change carpark already ,lets hope money dos,nt run out to fast and he can make his dreams come true and ours with having a decnt carp water in the leicester area thank you god you were listen after all .watch this water :wink:

• 1 month later...

The carp in this lake run into the early 30`s as far as iam aware when i last went last year the lake record was 32lbs 40z called "one eye" there are rumors that there are at least another 2 30`s in there and one which hasnt been on the bank for years. There are quite a few 20`s in there but the overiding problem with the place is that there are to many smaller fish that you have got to get through. If you want the bigger fish go round the other side where it is deeper and fish the margins and keep feeding a handfull of chops every hour or so. There is also a sunken island about 40-50 yrds from this bank and is good sport in the summer on floater gear :wink: . Does anyone know if they are alowing night fishing??? i know there was talk about it but last time i went it was just members that were allowed to do the night and with the new owners i was just wondering if this had changed??

Cheers

"Good Times"

Willow :wink:

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Willow,

I Was down there a couple of weeks ago, I had about 6 or 7 carp out fishing the far side to the island and the near margins, peg 8 or 9 I think. Nothing massive, largest around 12lb smallest 5lb. I always seem to do okay in the margins however along the far side as you say. A couple of weeks before I had a 16lb 2oz on a zig on the sunken island.

I was chatting to a lad who said that they are allowing night fishing but only to a select few. They are running some sort of night syndicate. He said that it was so popular that they were thinking allowing more members but alternating the weeks you can fish.

This information is 2nd hand so I am not aware it is true, but I have seen people setting up for the night as I am going home :(

Guys I joined this forum just to talk about this place 8) ONly just gotten back into carping again after around a year. Me and my dad Used to go Makins nearly every weekend yes we are the people who would sit at the gates for half hour to make sure we got the pegs we wanted :lol: when it opened. Ive got hundreds of photo's on the kitchen wall of fish from there my dad even had a 16lb barbell out of lake 1! my pb from there is 23 common and im going back saturday to beat it. So hows it fishing? If i remember right at makins you can catch carp on anything there they are literaly dustbins! carnt wait for saturday roll on :P

got to admit guys i am real local and think there are alot nicer places to fish around there than makins, can I ask what the appeal of the place is?

I agree, there is a lot nicer places. The busy M69 is a real droan, and it's a bonus if you catch a carp with lips :roll: However, it is a friendly place and it is close for me and my friend to go to (or was before I moved). It is also good for me and another friend to go to as he has just started fishing and he can maggot drown for the perch and roach while I go for the carp. Ideally I want a place where I can become a member, which is quieter, within nice surroundings and then I could fish whenever I want, paying day ticket prices every weekend is costing a fortune!

Where would you recommend for the days then? I use to fish Somers loads as a lad but now it's been remodeled and restocked after the stocks were affected by the disease I haven't really any idea what it's like.

got to admit guys i am real local and think there are alot nicer places to fish around there than makins, can I ask what the appeal of the place is?

I find the staff friendly towards my family, happy to answer questions and we've never been rushed for money yeah its kind of expensive but you pay for pleasure am i right? some of the fish are a little scabby like damaged mouths but thats down to how you play a fish. You can have a good days fishing of bottom and top

• 1 month later...

where would you reccomend then for fisheries around this area?

thanks alot mate,

Tom

Hi Willow,

I Was down there a couple of weeks ago, I had about 6 or 7 carp out fishing the far side to the island and the near margins, peg 8 or 9 I think. Nothing massive, largest around 12lb smallest 5lb. I always seem to do okay in the margins however along the far side as you say. A couple of weeks before I had a 16lb 2oz on a zig on the sunken island.

I was chatting to a lad who said that they are allowing night fishing but only to a select few. They are running some sort of night syndicate. He said that it was so popular that they were thinking allowing more members but alternating the weeks you can fish.

This information is 2nd hand so I am not aware it is true, but I have seen people setting up for the night as I am going home :(

hello mate,

have you been down there recently it's just i'm thinking of giving it a go with my dad one weekend?

also do you know which lake would be the best one for me, i am targetting 10Lb - 25 Lb carp and what tactics?

Thanks so much

Tom

Hi Willow,

hello mate,

have you been down there recently it's just i'm thinking of giving it a go with my dad one weekend?

also do you know which lake would be the best one for me, i am targetting 10Lb - 25 Lb carp and what tactics?

Thanks so much

Tom