Mid Kent bans leadcore

tonybranno

Taken from Carp Talk online.....

As from the 1st of August 2008 all leadcore and silicone leaders will be banned from all Mid-Kent Fisheries waters – only tubing will be allowed. Over the past two weeks Mid-Kent Fisheries have lost two big carp which were found tethered by leadcore. Keith Gambrill, Chris Logsdon and Chris jnr also removed hundreds of rigs from the Handle, Chilham and Loggies lakes and 99% of these were leadcore or silicone rigs with leads still attached! Many of which could never have been shed if hooked to a carp, some were even super glued. With the new types of weighted tubing now available on the market there is no need for leadcore or silicone. As a fishery, Mid-Kent cannot afford to lose any of their quality stock and feel this step is necessary to preserve them for the future. Signs will be going up around the lakes to make everyone aware of the situation and bailiffs will allow one warning, after that they will start issuing bans.

The highlighted sentence worries me. What kind of numptie does this pastime of ours now attract?

Its pure lunacy if you ask me :twisted:

hi i am a member of mid kent and i was guttet to hear the news of the banned leadcore and the lost fish due to people not knowing how to use it safly. once again it is the minority spoiling it for the majority that do know how to use it corerectly.

when i use ledcore i use the helicopter rig which i think is the safest rig around if you do put the beads on loosly.

I think this sounds like it's down to the misuse of lead clips seeing as 99% of the leads were still attached.I've seen people glue them on before because they're worried about losing a £1.50 lead sat behind £3000 worth of rods,reels and alarms.

We don't need their sort in the sport and you can't educate pork... :evil:

I don't blame Mid Kent in the slightest and I have a lot of respect for Chris Logsdon :wink:

No no no no no. Bans are the thin end of the wedge. What is needed is regular and random rig inspections. Anyone found to be using unsafe rigs should first be educated on the matter and shown how to rig up safely. If they are caught again in future with unsafe rigs once more and having ignored the advice of the baliff they should face an immediate ban from the fishery. Large fisheries such as mid kent have a duty to educate.

No no no no no. Bans are the thin end of the wedge. What is needed is regular and random rig inspections. Anyone found to be using unsafe rigs should first be educated on the matter and shown how to rig up safely. If they are caught again in future with unsafe rigs once more and having ignored the advice of the baliff they should face an immediate ban from the fishery. Large fisheries such as mid kent have a duty to educate

this was meant to be done but it never happend on all of the lakes only chillham mill(i think :shock: ) but i had never been checked

Fair play to them.

As for spot checks, they never work. The main reason is once the rig is in place you would not get a good reaction from guys if your asking them to crank in. Some carping situations mean winding in and re chucking could spoil your chances and those of people next door to you.

On the lake i fish one of the lads had the biggest fish in the lake...... well it was before it was tethered up and has now dropped a massive amount of weight.... infact 25% of its body weight and now has an enormas scare for its troubles. This fish was over 40lb, luckily its still swimming, it could have been a whole lot worse.

I totally agree that in reality spot checks are not workable. But i still think that education on these matters is the way forward as opposed to bans. I don't have any answers whatsoever. I just think it's a shame that we have to resort to bans...

I agree with what you say that education is better than condemnation but how much education do people need.Nearly every magazine,dvd,forum,tackle shop or whatever else the angler's source of info shows how to set it up,even the package the leadcore/lead clips come in shows you how to use the items safely.Yet people still don't so there is no other option...... :wink: