Bemused

gravelbar

ive been having a look through this section and find it quite amazing how many different rig materials people are using, i mean one for silt another for gravel another for weed and so on and so on..

i use 2 hooklink materials (flouro or green braid) for all my fishing regardless of what im fishing over and i catch fish i think were being taken for a ride.

buy this its great next month oh this is good buy this what a load of rubbish the magazines are brain washing people and all your doing is lining some ones pockets..

is it just me or am i not alone :?:

It's just a confidence thing for me really.I use Sufix Stealth Skin/Black Silt,Hydrolink in grey,Silkworm and ESP Ghost fluoro.These cover any situation or lakebed I'm likely to encounter and I like my hooklink to blend in as much as possible.

I know what you're are saying and those that read the mags month in month out are no doubt those with 20 different hooklength materials and 30 patterns of hooks. :wink:

i have a whole load of different types of hooklenghts, some are fifteen a spool and i have caught on them but the best fish i have had was always on mono , straight forward rig , my personnel best is 41.08 on mono , most of the tackle is to catch carpers not carp , main thing is if your rig is safe that counts , good luck

I have total confidence in 2 types of hooklink. A coated braid which is Armaled Kik Bak Clear and Green and a normal braid of ESP Sink Link and thats all i use for 99% of my fishing.

I cant see there being any harm whatsoever in trying different materials TBH until you find one thats suited to you and your fishing. Then and only then will you slim your tackle box down accordingly.

I know I carry loads of different Hooklink materials, but seem to use 2 in particular for most of my fishing; Merlin or Snakebite. And no I don't read the mags :wink::lol::lol::lol:

Fish with what you have confidence with :wink: , but be aware that at some point in your fishing you will need to be different to other anglers or that the Carp may have learnt how to deal with your "usual", so always have something you can change or experiment with.

• 2 weeks later...

When i first started carping i was drawn in by the mags and was buying everything i saw!!

I still have most of them but like lots of posts on this thread i am confident in using 3 or 4 of them and know i will catch fish (if they are there)

The main 2 im using at the moment is nash armourbraid which i have used nearly everywhere and caught well,

And korda IQ extra soft for when i need a fluro hooklink.

I also have afew back ups incase it all goes pete tong,

ESP sinklink and suffix sheath skin.

AS for hooks there is only one for me at the moment, Korda kurv!!

• 3 weeks later...

in my tackle box you will find, ESP stiff link (chods, hinged stiff links) kryston silkworm, (bottom baits, small pop ups) ESP ghost, (bottom baits in clear water.) thats it. hooks? ESP stiff riggers for my stiff rigs, ESP longshanks fr everything else. total confidence in that. best ever hooklink for me? amnesia!!! (or bog standard mono.)

:roll:

• 3 weeks later...

I was using some Dacron 12lb, it's a really easy material to tie, but then I had 4 snapped rigs all at the same point, where I tied the figure of eight knot to attach to my quick link. I wetted the material before tightening the knot.

All the breaks happened on the take.

Anyone had the same or got any points as to why this has happened.

PS

Then tied the same rig with 15lb korda supernatural, not had a problem

I was using some Dacron 12lb, it's a really easy material to tie, but then I had 4 snapped rigs all at the same point, where I tied the figure of eight knot to attach to my quick link. I wetted the material before tightening the knot.

PS

It may well be the type of knot you used.

Different materials require different knots. Some monos will accept a Blood Knot, yet try that with most fluoros and it will snap every time.

It may well be that the figure of 8 knot is not suitable for Dacron, you may have to find an alternative.

I know I carry loads of different Hooklink materials, but seem to use 2 in particular for most of my fishing; Merlin or Snakebite. And no I don't read the mags :wink::lol::lol::lol:

Fish with what you have confidence with :wink: , but be aware that at some point in your fishing you will need to be different to other anglers or that the Carp may have learnt how to deal with your "usual", so always have something you can change or experiment with.

That to me is the best answer so far,and if more people thought like that it would make my job on riggy waters far harder.

Yes we all know that tackle catches anglers,however it also catches fish.

You need to taylor your gear to where you fish,simple realy :wink:

PS

try testing one to destruction to see what happens, be careful not to hurt yourself though, the thread on the accidents as really spooked me and edited should probably be a sticky :shock::shock:

PS

Different materials require different knots. Some monos will accept a Blood Knot, yet try that with most fluoros and it will snap every time.

It may well be that the figure of 8 knot is not suitable for Dacron, you may have to find an alternative.

What who anyone suggest and I will try it, I really like the material except the breakages :evil: , so if I can continue to use I would be happy

PS

What who anyone suggest and I will try it, I really like the material except the breakages :evil: , so if I can continue to use I would be happy

Have a look at splicing, I think from memory that Dacron can be spliced :wink:

Also the Grinner or Uni knot for Dacron :wink:

That to me is the best answer so far,and if more people thought like that it would make my job on riggy waters far harder.

Frank,

Just for you and how far I tailor my rigs to the lakebed.

This is from the lake today. The straight (ish) line 90 degrees to the base of the pic is actually a reed stem.

VPHl5gq5Sq1.jpg

The lake was a bit murky, it is normally a brownish peaty hue, so this pic is not too clear, even if only taken from a metre away. The only thing that you can possibly make out is the red blob of a Hookbait. The Rig itself is toatlly camouflaged into the bottom.

Correction I can actually make out the lead!

Frank,

This is from the lake today. The straight (ish) line 90 degrees to the base of the pic is actually a reed stem.

VPHl5gq5Sq1.jpg

The lake was a bit murky, it is normally a brownish peaty hue, so this pic is not too clear, even if only taken from a metre away. The only thing that you can possibly make out is the red blob of a Hookbait. The Rig itself is toatlly camouflaged into the bottom.

You actualy got yourself out on the bank :lol:

Nick I new this without seeing the photo,how?well I know you are one of the few thinking anglers out there.

My point earlyer was I agreed with you on that at some point be prepaired to be different.

This cannot be done if you dont have the equipment to be different.

I know 100% :wink: if anybody fishes an unfished water with a standard hair rig setup,then they will truely reap the rewards.

However if you try the same setup on a heaverly fished water with big carp,then you will fail the majority of the time.

I fish some waters where the carp have seen everything,if you fish with any of the rigs you see in the mags/books/forums etc you will catch,but not regulary.

If you sit back and think, then use materials and setups you know the carp have not seen before you will catch on a regular basis.

In the past few years I have proved this time and time again.

Frank,

VPHl5gq5Sq1.jpg

You actualy got yourself out on the bank :lol:

Nick I new this without seeing the photo,how?well I know you are one of the few thinking anglers out there.

My point earlyer was I agreed with you on that at some point be prepaired to be different.

This cannot be done if you dont have the equipment to be different.

I know 100% :wink: if anybody fishes an unfished water with a standard hair rig setup,then they will truely reap the rewards.

However if you try the same setup on a heaverly fished water with big carp,then you will fail the majority of the time.

I fish some waters where the carp have seen everything,if you fish with any of the rigs you see in the mags/books/forums etc you will catch,but not regulary.

If you sit back and think, then use materials and setups you know the carp have not seen before you will catch on a regular basis.

In the past few years I have proved this time and time again.

Indeed I did, and half knackered myself in the process. Was at work in London for 10am ish, and back to Ipswich in time for 7pm. Quick dinner and fishing by 9pm (that included getting to the lake)

Problem is I wasn't different enough and suffered 2 hookpulls on standard Knotless Knot tied rigs. Changed the hair length between hookpulls, (it was on the same rod ), or actually removed 1 of the baits so that I had a longer hair.

The hook wasn't turning in properly, so I need to adapt what I'm doing. Already got the rigs tied, but I wanted to be sure that what was happening was a hook turning problem rather than just "1 off" hookpull.