Splicing leadcore and glue

fishingaddict

Have you ever had one of those finger things that you put your finger in and try and pull it out but it wont??? well thats the same as the outter on leadcore the more you pull the tighter it gets, trapping the inner inside :wink:

Dont have to use glue but if it will give you more confidance then it will only be a good thing :wink:

Have you ever had one of those finger things that you put your finger in and try and pull it out but it wont??? well thats the same as the outter on leadcore the more you pull the tighter it gets, trapping the inner inside :wink:

Dont have to use glue but if it will give you more confidance then it will only be a good thing :wink:

Oi you beat me to it :lol:

Are you sure your on about leadcore? Just what are you getting your body parts stuck in? :lol:

I always buy the pre made ones from Maver, only because of the fear that if i made it wrong then the carp will drag it around until the hook came out. :oops:
Blimey your throwing money away mate it couldn't be easier to do it yourself. It also makes it more interesting doing everything yourself :wink:

I always buy the pre made ones from Maver, only because of the fear that if i made it wrong then the carp will drag it around until the hook came out. :oops:
Blimey your throwing money away mate it couldn't be easier to do it yourself. It also makes it more interesting doing everything yourself :wink:

Yeah - Even I do it :D

<>Chris

Tell me about it, i might start and make my own because i make everything else myself bar the leadcore. As well you can say that you landed that fish on YOUR rig and not a pack one but then on the other hand if something snapped then your the only one to blame.

I always thought like fishingaddict.

I have just started to splice my own leadcore rigs and find it hard to believe that the tag end pulled through won't pull back throughagain under pressure.

Tell me about it, i might start and make my own because i make everything else myself bar the leadcore. As well you can say that you landed that fish on YOUR rig and not a pack one but then on the other hand if something snapped then your the only one to blame.

I have just started to splice my own leadcore rigs and find it hard to believe that the tag end pulled through won't pull back throughagain under pressure.

Fair enough we all have concerns about stuff but you can easily test its strength by pushing something through the finished loop and pulling hard on it. Once you've made a few you wont look back.

The bulk spool of esp stuff is very good it seems to blend with everything very well tbh and is supple and the lead itself doesnt fragment and come out the side as it does with other brands. You might get through a few splicing needles whilst learning - just be patient with it and you find a technique to pulling it through itself. :wink:

Fair enough we all have concerns about stuff but you can easily test its strength by pushing something through the finished loop and pulling hard on it. Once you've made a few you wont look back.

The bulk spool of esp stuff is very good it seems to blend with everything very well tbh and is supple and the lead itself doesnt fragment and come out the side as it does with other brands. You might get through a few splicing needles whilst learning - just be patient with it and you find a technique to pulling it through itself. :wink:

I think i'll have to buy some over the weekend and take a few days to practice. The Maver premade ones always shot the lead out of the side. I'll get my rig making hands on at the weekend i think :D

I just bought some leadcore for the first time about a fortnight ago and i was worried about splicing my own too as i didnt feel the spliced section would be strong enough, so i made some up in work looped around some metal pegs and tugged and hanged on the leadcore. It did break eventually only after some severe punishment but it snapped about an inch from the spliced section and after that little field test im 100% confident in it now.

• 3 weeks later...

When I used to use Leadcore I used to splice my own, and never had one give way with ESP (although I did have a batch of Gardner Leadcore that did, but that was a case of the (melted) Needle knot frayed).

The advantage with Splicing your own is you can get different size loops, a small loop at the Mainline end and a larger one at the hooklength end for fast hooklink or lead changing.

It is also possible to splice certain Braided Hooklink materials which gives you some nice presentations if you care to think about it :wink:

• 3 weeks later...
i use ESP leadcore, with a needle knot and superglue to the mainline, and i srip a short length of leadcore inner on the hooklink end and tie it with a 4turn blood knot, i've never had any problems with it.

:roll:

Matt,

Do you have any worries about gluing the Knots?

I know I started a thread about Superglue and Knots ages ago, because I was worried about Superglue cracking or reducing the movement and cracking/breaking the knot or material.

(Edited to include link)

https://forum.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=20072&highlight=superglue+knots

not if you use it sparingly, i only glued it for my own peace of mind, however during sessions where i have been caught out having to tie a needle knot without superglue, it still holds well for me, without the glue. its not strictly necessary, but i have not noticed any ill effects, but having said that, i change my leadcore regularly, so maybe i'm not giving it enough time for a problem to become apparant? something to think about. :?:

:roll: